Go down 
AuthorMessage
Juwa
Juwa

Female
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Gastric sleeve plication? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 3:26 am

Wow noodles, this is interesting. I had never even heard of this option. My parents reservations have been the usual "but the lap band is revesrible and the sleeve is not" idea. I have told them that I've done the resarch and many more people with the band have problems than those with the sleeve. I have decided on the sleeve.

So i imagine that if u had to use the rest of the remaining stomach one day u would cut away the staples/glue/stitching and re join it. Hmmm. well they work miracles in surgery, but I'm thinking the possibility of leakage on such irregular shapes (after cutting away stitches, might leave more chance of leakage complications.

I would like to google it, but am cautious cos it sounds so new, my head is ready NOW to do the sleeve. And yes, the hunger hormone Gherlin, what happens with that? I just pray that none us the sleevers will get stomach cancer or ulcers... Not a good prognisis if that happened, but neither is the cancers etc obesity can cause.

Still might do the google thing, yoodles haha ;) Thanks for starting this thread.

Jo:)
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 3:04 am

Interesting...I'm not sure there is much data or surgical experience of the plication yet, but given time, it might become another suitable option for many - just as the sleeve has taken time to gain favour. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
slimmer

Female
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 12:41 am

The reason it peaked my interest is that you still keep your stomach intact and it seems that more US surgeons are offering this an an alternative to gastric sleeving, although I have no idea of the success rates or longer term complications. It is quite new.

Caught food sounds like it could be an issue longer term and the gherlin sounds like it is also an issue, although I don't tend to overeat because I am hungry, I do it because I can so it is not a huge factor for me.

I have no real desire to keep my stomach intact really, but I did get my gallbladder removed a few years ago and had all sorts of problems post-op that have waried me from removing anything that I originally started with, so looking at all alternatives.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 12:22 am

There is no reason intact stomach tissue, if folded, would get infected. The advantage, according to ppl who had the procedure, is that they still have their stomach, if they needed it later. For example, they got stomach cancer or an ulcer etc I suppose. Just don't know enough about it to know how it works re ghrelin though.
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 12:12 pm

Good question. My surgeon was also very anti, and he seemed to know quite a bit about it. His reasons were the ghrelin production, infection (because of the 'fold'), operative risk. He also felt "Why fold the stomach over? What purpose will the remaining tissue serve? Why leave that tissue there, when it could become troublesome later? How is it any different to a lapband?" These reasons were enough for me to abandon any interest I might have had. I am happy to have had the sleeve. All the best with your research!

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
Oki Doki Joy
Part of the furniture
Oki Doki Joy

Female
Number of posts : 654
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 11:43 am

Ghrelin is not "removed" in the sense it's not taken away - the volume of the stomach indicates how much of the hunger hormone is created. A folded stomach produces a smaller volume hence less hormone (usually). Same as a sleeve,and doesn't always reduce the production.

However... I asked around about this plication about 3 months ago as I was interested.

My surgeon was very anti this procedure. He said it's something dreamed up by Iran because they can't get the bougie's and titanium clips due to trade embargos. Not sure it's THAT bad but I chose not to proceed with it...
Hope this helps someone :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-diary-f8/the-big-joyful-
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:28 am

gottarhyme wrote:
It sounds interesting, but does it remove the 'hunger' producing section like the actual sleeve does? I would need to see the stats, do you have a link?
My hunger is back!! What would be the point of folding rather than cutting? I'd think it would be 'neater'for want of a better word. I'd worry about infection in between the folds?
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 10:03 am

Haven't heard of anyone in Australia doing it yet. There is a site called vertical sleeve talk that has a forum for it.
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 5:44 am

It sounds interesting, but does it remove the 'hunger' producing section like the actual sleeve does? I would need to see the stats, do you have a link?
Back to top Go down
slimmer

Female
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 5:19 am

I am researching like mad the sleeve at the moment (thanks for the great site!) and wanted to know if anyone had come across gastric sleeve plication? Essentially it sounds as if the stomach is folded to make the sleeve rather than cut and removed.

It has the same stats as the traditional sleeve with a faster recovery time, according to dr google. Is anyone in Australia is doing this type of sleeve surgery? I'd be interested in talking to someone about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gastric sleeve plication?   Gastric sleeve plication? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gastric sleeve plication?
Page 1 of 1