Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?

Go down 
+11
Janette
Kati
TraceyD
velocette
D'Girlz
*Lib*
shelly25
NutMeg
ssjad
MiddleWoman
Channamasala
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Channamasala
Channamasala

Female
Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 4:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

I hope there isn't already a post like this. I'm writing from an iphone so it's slow and tricky to navigate.

Today, I regret having had this operation.

I was sleeved on 15th February. My few days in hospital weren't that easy but, when I was allowed home, I was delighted with my tiny tum.

However, after a few days I started suffering from hypoglycemy and then I started vomiting. I was rushed into intensive care on 28th February and have been there ever since. In total 19 days during which I've seen my kids only once.

I was diagnosed as having a leak which had provoked a nasty abcess on the outside wall of my stomach. They took 9 days to identify the two bacteria (9 days!) and in the meantime hooked me up to a gastric drain to suck out the infection, a nasogastric tube and an IV drip.

A couple of days ago, they removed the NG tube (after a myriad of uncomfortable tests including a barium swallow x-ray) and today I had my first yoghurt. And guess what? No sooner had I swallowed a spoonful than it started coming out the gastric drain rather than going into my stomach.

Conclusion: the leak is still there.

I A SO FED-UP. I haven't seen my family properly in weeks. I'm not going to be out of hospital this weekend like the surgeon had originally said. I have undoubtedly another whole battery of tests before me. And I've lost these precious 5 weeks when most people lose weight the fastest and have no hunger pangs - they've been feeding me 1900 calories a day through the drip so no chance of reachinng any weight goals there; if anything I've put on weight since being here.

So right now I thinking why the f**k did I do this to myself and my family.

I'd really like to know if anyone who's had a lot of complications felt like me at some point and eventually came round to loving their sleeve. Or did you end up regretting it?

Thank you for any testamonials!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptySat 19 Mar 2011, 5:57 pm

I'm sorry you have had a bad time of things, Channamasala. When things settle down, and you enjoy the weight loss, I hope you will feel there are benefits of the sleeve worth all the trouble you have had. That will be an equation only you can figure out.

Zoe
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptySat 19 Mar 2011, 12:52 pm

Radical action is good. At least he is doing something to help you and not pretending nothing is wrong. Kudos to him.

Healing vibes coming your way x
Back to top Go down
Channamasala
Channamasala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptySat 19 Mar 2011, 10:02 am

Thank you for your kind messages. It helps to vent but it helps even more to know that people care. I will check out the thread you mentioned MW and also the YouTube video DG.

The surgeon is obviously a bit worried so he's decided to take radical action. On Monday, I'll be having a new operation to put a prothesus (spelling?) into my stomach. It's a bit like a small toilet roll tube which will allow me to eat without having the food touch my stomach. Food will be funnelled directly into the intestines, leaving the stomach time to heal naturally.

Unfortunately, three weeks later it'll have to be removed which means 2 general anaesthetics in a very short space of time. The good side of the coin is that I'll be allowed home in between the two procedures. Hopefully this time next week I'll be giving you an update from chez moi!

Thank you again for all your support. You guys are wonderful!
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptySat 19 Mar 2011, 7:44 am

Hi Channa,
I am sorry you are stuck in hospital.

If you have a look on youtube, there is a young Australian guy named Curtis Layton who had very similar complications to you. He talks all about it and is very honest. I think you will be happy with his outcome.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptySat 19 Mar 2011, 7:07 am

Oh god, every sleevers worst nightmare :( I hope that your recovery from here on in is smooth and soon you can be saying its all been worth it. Please keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 11:34 pm

i feel for you,these are the risks everyone fears
stay strong and be brave
maybe you could pm gutlesswonder or another member from the complications thread and talk to them so you dont feel so isolated as they have had similar problems
chinup sand please keep us posted
shelly
Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555 Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555 Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555 Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555 Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm

Oh no!

You've had a rough time of it, haven't you? I had a few complications in hospital and ended up staying 8 nights, at the time totally regretted The op. But now: life is good!!

You'll get plenty of answers in the complications section.

Hope you can get over this hurdle quickly and start enjoying what life with the sleeve offers!
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 11:00 pm

Oh no, Channa - that's terrible! Leaks seem to be a long and complicated business. I really hope you're feeling better soon, and can be back home with your family in no time!!

Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555 Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555 Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 217555
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 9:58 pm

Oh, Channa,

I feel so sad for you. You had everything so well organised for minimal disruption to family, holiday, students - and then this awful series of events happens.

Unfortunately, there are others with similar experiences in this thread: 'Complications With The Sleeve'. Luckily, there are not too many who have been affected, but it sure has been traumatic for those who have. One thing I notice is that, once all the complications are overcome, most still say they would do it all over again for the benefits of the sleeve. I'm sure you are not feeling that way right now, though.

As for weight loss, please don't give this a thought until you are well. It will drop off you like you could never imagine.

Thinking of you.

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
Channamasala
Channamasala

Female

PostSubject: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 EmptyFri 18 Mar 2011, 4:30 pm

I hope there isn't already a post like this. I'm writing from an iphone so it's slow and tricky to navigate.

Today, I regret having had this operation.

I was sleeved on 15th February. My few days in hospital weren't that easy but, when I was allowed home, I was delighted with my tiny tum.

However, after a few days I started suffering from hypoglycemy and then I started vomiting. I was rushed into intensive care on 28th February and have been there ever since. In total 19 days during which I've seen my kids only once.

I was diagnosed as having a leak which had provoked a nasty abcess on the outside wall of my stomach. They took 9 days to identify the two bacteria (9 days!) and in the meantime hooked me up to a gastric drain to suck out the infection, a nasogastric tube and an IV drip.

A couple of days ago, they removed the NG tube (after a myriad of uncomfortable tests including a barium swallow x-ray) and today I had my first yoghurt. And guess what? No sooner had I swallowed a spoonful than it started coming out the gastric drain rather than going into my stomach.

Conclusion: the leak is still there.

I A SO FED-UP. I haven't seen my family properly in weeks. I'm not going to be out of hospital this weekend like the surgeon had originally said. I have undoubtedly another whole battery of tests before me. And I've lost these precious 5 weeks when most people lose weight the fastest and have no hunger pangs - they've been feeding me 1900 calories a day through the drip so no chance of reachinng any weight goals there; if anything I've put on weight since being here.

So right now I thinking why the f**k did I do this to myself and my family.

I'd really like to know if anyone who's had a lot of complications felt like me at some point and eventually came round to loving their sleeve. Or did you end up regretting it?

Thank you for any testamonials!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?   Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Post-op complications: anyone regret their sleeve?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: