AuthorMessage
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-07-14

Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyMon 09 May 2011, 6:25 am

HI all,

I just hopped on for the first time in quite a while and realised I had missed the last meet up. So annoyed with myself, I thought that you always received a email in regards to a thread that you were a part of on here!
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: hello from spoggy in Melbourne   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptySun 10 Apr 2011, 10:56 am

Hello Kate, we are meeting at the Pines Shopping Centre the 16th at 10 am at the Indulgen CAfe, whichis down the coles end. Would love to see you there. My phone number is 0428872077. Ring me if you like.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptySat 09 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

D'Girlz wrote:
Wow, it is getting closer and becomming real. I agree with Meghan, come a catch up.

Hi,

I would love to come along to the next meet up! Ill keep a look out for the date. :)
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 12:40 pm

Wow, it is getting closer and becomming real. I agree with Meghan, come a catch up.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 10:08 am

Hi Yoodles,

Have you been for your appointment with Mr Michell yet? Are you going to choose the sleeve or the bypass?

:-)

yoodles wrote:
Hi Kate we are at the same point in this journey. I had my first appointment with Mr Michell's nurse the other day and she is lovely, I have an apointment with the man himself next month. She was really supportive which made a nice change from the first surgeon I visited who basically told me I can't continue like this and I need to seriously consider my options (well der, isn't that why I'm here!).

I told Dr Michell's nurse my weight and then she worked out my bmi. She must of seen my horror at the final figure because quick as a flash said "Don't worry, its only temporary, we will get this weight off you in no time!"

Mr Michell charges the same for the band and the sleeve. I know a lot of surgeons have a price difference between the two and assumed that he did that so people would choose the best surgery for them rather than the cheapest.

His nurse did say that he sees sleeving as a two stager and believes most people will come back for the bypass in the future, however he is happy to sleeve if it is what you want.

Good luck with your decision.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyFri 08 Apr 2011, 10:06 am

Well.. I had my first appointment with Mr Ian Michelle's nurse today, she was lovely, so much paperwork to fill out. I now have a appointment with Mr Michelle himself on the 24th of May and she said that the surgery would be approx. 6 weeks from them. OH MY GOD.. im starting to worry. Will the sleeve stretch, will I lose weight, will i get depressed because I cant eat much anymore. So many questions and feelings!
Back to top Go down
NutMeg
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2009-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyWed 16 Mar 2011, 11:53 pm

Welcome Kate :)

I've met your mum a number of times at the meet ups - you should come along to the next one for a chat!

I was sleeved by Mr Draper - he's based in Mornington and operates out of Peninsula Private. I was out of pocket approx $4K :) He charges the same for the band or the sleeve as well.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyWed 16 Mar 2011, 11:12 am

Hi all,

So lovely to hear from you all and to get feedback and support.

I have made an appointment with Dr Michells nurse for April the 8th. I am both incredibly excited and very nervous!

I just hope he lets me have a sleeve. I havent had a gastric band before, my mother and sister have and it didnt work for either of them. My mother had a sleeve done last may and has lost 40kg since then, she looks amazing and she is my inspiration.

Keep me updated with your progress with Dr Michell :)
Back to top Go down
melbournesleevecandidate

Male
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyWed 16 Mar 2011, 7:20 am

hi Kate

I also had appoinment with ian michells nurse the other day,

next an appoinment with ian michell some weeks away, then some other ancilliary consults, ie psychologist, nutritionist, blood tests and chest xray etc.

I am not seeking other quotes/consults, i'm quite satisfied that he is as good a surgeon as you are going to get, good luck to you and me 8-).
Back to top Go down
slimmer

Female
Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2010-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 10:53 pm

Hi Kate we are at the same point in this journey. I had my first appointment with Mr Michell's nurse the other day and she is lovely, I have an apointment with the man himself next month. She was really supportive which made a nice change from the first surgeon I visited who basically told me I can't continue like this and I need to seriously consider my options (well der, isn't that why I'm here!).

I told Dr Michell's nurse my weight and then she worked out my bmi. She must of seen my horror at the final figure because quick as a flash said "Don't worry, its only temporary, we will get this weight off you in no time!"

Mr Michell charges the same for the band and the sleeve. I know a lot of surgeons have a price difference between the two and assumed that he did that so people would choose the best surgery for them rather than the cheapest.

His nurse did say that he sees sleeving as a two stager and believes most people will come back for the bypass in the future, however he is happy to sleeve if it is what you want.

Good luck with your decision.
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: hello from spoggy in Melbourne   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 12:01 pm

I think he may do it for the love of it from what i gather.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:45 am

Does anyone know why Dr Michell is so much cheaper?
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: hello from spoggy in Melbourne   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:24 am

I was sleeved by Patrick Moore, he is a very skilled surgeon. The surgeon that Peazles had is a lot cheaper and is a very skilled surgeon as well. I am very pleased withe the care and rate of weight loss I am experiencing. Good luck with your search.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:09 am

Hi Peazles and D'Girlz, thanks for replying!

I have called a couple of surgeons today, I rang Mr McHenry and have a appointment with him in a few weeks. But after your gleaming review of Dr Michell I have also requested an appointment with him, thanks Peazles.

Dr Michell charges half the price compared to Mr McHenry.

Once you had your intial consultation and decided to go ahead was there much of a wait for surgery?

I have read that Dr Michell tends to lean more towards gastric bypass, did you find this Peazles?

Thanks once again, this is sooo very exciting!
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 5:16 am

Hi Kate!

Your bmi should fit any surgeon's requirements! I was also sleeved in Melbourne, by Dr Ian Michell, on 24th Jan. I was $3400 out of pocket. He's a very qualified and lovely surgeon, and I would highly recommend him.

Goodluck with everything, keep us posted on what you choose.
Back to top Go down
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster
D'Girlz

Female
Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 4:34 am

Hi 123katepink!!!

I was sleeved last month. I was 174.5cms and 144.2kgs at the start of this journey. I have dieted for years and have always been able to lose weight - but never keep it off.
I decided on the sleeve and told my husband. I discussed the issue with him, but was my decision as we are talking about my life. We have children and he wanted me to be fitter so I was around for them (and him). You can use this argument if you need to.

Just remember, if he loves you, he wants whats best for you. Sit with him and go through the gallery pics with him. It is truely inspirational.

I was in hospital for 4 dyas - could have been 3 but grabbed the extra day as I have little kids at home who like to climb all over me!!! LOL
Out of pocket, I was about $4200 all up (with surgeon, anesthetist and tests)
I was sleeved by Dr Patrick moore in Epworth Eastern at Box Hill.

The sleeve is a tool and you will find you are unable to eat like you used to (a good thing) but the head hunger, you still have to work through.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Kate + Mum (123katepink)
Part of the furniture
Kate + Mum (123katepink)

Female

PostSubject: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 4:06 am

Hi all, my name is Kate and im seriously considering having the gastric sleeve done. My mum Gayle is part of the Melbourne meet up gang under my sign in name as she doesnt have access to a computer. I am so incredibly proud of her and her weight loss achievements. My mum had major complications with her surgery and I was looking at getting other peoples feedback on their surgerys the general time frame they were in hospital, and the out of pocket costs they were left with. I have top hospital cover with Medibank Private and have not had the gastric band before. I am 30 years old, 180cm tall and 115kg. I also am not sure what BMI range you need to be in to have the surgery. Just thought I would try and get some info from you guys as I am trying to convince my husband that this is the way to go for me to have a lifetime healthy weight range.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done   Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done Empty

Back to top Go down

Melbourne Girl looking at having Sleeve done
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: