6 posters
AuthorMessage
tonez
tonez

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-11-17

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: for your Interest   private vs public EmptyWed 23 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm

Hi Lellz

Yes i agree with everyone start looking around for a PHI & make sure you only take out what you need to have a sleeve done. Some PHi will try & con you into taking out more then what you really need. And ask any questions it may sound silly but believe me its a real ball breaker trying to understand the whole process.

1 - Research PHI & make sure you can afford the payments 12months is awhile for PHI to mature.
2- Start taking your own notes. After awhile it will make sense its a like jig saw puzzle...lol..
3- Get involved in the forum there are a lot of people on here that will help and the information that everyone shares is valuable and is of benefit to you when the time comes to A- Pay surgery yourself B - Apply through your super. ( Thats another story so wait)
4- Now if you if the cash to pay the difference (gap) after your PHI & Medicare have fulfilled there criteria. All you need to do is pay the difference(gap) It can be anything between $2000- $6000 this however depends on the surgeon you go with.
( Thats another story so wait)
5- There is a section on here "surgeons" do your own research of all surgeons. You will have to go to a "patient Info Seminar" before they will see you on 1 on 1 bases.
6- Now if you are paying for it- all is well BUT IF NOT you can apply via your superannuation. (APRA website) based on medical grounds.PRINT OUT FORM >> Early release of super benefits (MEDICAL/DENTAL)
7- Chase up all your loose end with your super and try and roll it over into one fund if you haven't already done so. (REQUEST A FORM FOR YOUR SUPER to be release early from your funds provider) Attach APRA approval letter to your request of release from your fund provider And pray like crazy they too accept it...

8- Well im sure this will keep you busy till your bubba arrives...So happy travels.

Im in Melb and my PHI matures 17th June this year yayyyyy... Pretty much done the ground work i see Dr Draper in a few weeks & i am possibly thinking of seeing Dr Patrick Moore as they do TT(Tummy Tucks) and i will definitely be up for that after 18mths time...So we will see .
Dr Draper is really nice and up front for a surgeon he has humour and i felt comfortable with him.

Anyway we are all on our own journey towards betterment for ourselves :)))
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: Re: private vs public   private vs public EmptyWed 16 Mar 2011, 12:01 pm

Hi Lellz

I would definitely take your PHI out now, as there is no public waiting list for the sleeve in NSW.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
didles
Part of the furniture
didles

Female
Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2010-09-09

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: Re: private vs public   private vs public EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:23 pm

Just letting you know that no company waive the 12 month wait, I would take it out, you can just get single cover if the cost is an issue but you will be out of pocket some me it was just under $5500 out of pocket.

But you can claim $3500 on tax which you will get 20% back on that amount but you can add your other yearly medical expenses to that for the whole family right down to panadol bought from a chemist you will be amazed how it all adds up. My accountant said I can claim the optifast as it was prescribed by a doctor. I would look at getting an appointment about October time because most cases through private you only have a month or two to wait.
Back to top Go down
Lella

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2011-03-15

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: Re: private vs public   private vs public EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:14 pm

Thanks Kazz. I think I will do that :) Publicly its sooo expensive as well!!..
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: Re: private vs public   private vs public EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 11:21 am

Ive been told I could be waiting 2 years for surgery through the public health system. It already took 14 months of waiting for my first appointment...

If you know you want this surgery, I would take out PHI as soon as you can. That way by the time you see your surgeon in July/August, you could be 4 months into the 12 month waiting period. I think most PHI has the 12 month wait for surgery for pre-existing conditions, but I dont know, there could be health funds that do not require this wait, but rather have higher premiums?? Best to start researching PHI now to find out all the options.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Lella

Female

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: Re: private vs public   private vs public EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 8:54 am

Thanks heaps ssjad. I thought the waiting list was that long!! Should I meet a surgeon before i join PHI??
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: Re: private vs public   private vs public EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 6:06 am

Hi Lellz. I think if you want to go through Medicare you'll be waiting for years for the surgery. I definitely recommend PHI, and recommend you get it now, because there's a 12 month waiting period before you can have your surgery. There is a separate section on the different options for payment on the site though, and you might get a better response there...
Back to top Go down
Lella

Female

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: private vs public   private vs public EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 3:48 am

Hi All,
I am new to this site and have been considering Sleeve for a while now. I am currently 6 months pregnant but am seriously considering having the surgery some time after I give birth to my son.

I really dont know where to start!!.. I messaged o'clinic and they advised me to come in for a consultation 3 weeks after i give birth in July and im planning to attend a seminar in April..

My question is.. Is it better to go through with the surgery through PHI or Medicare? and If PHI, how long should I wait before i join!!!

Thanks to all who could help!!
Lella
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

private vs public Empty
PostSubject: Re: private vs public   private vs public Empty

Back to top Go down

private vs public
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: