AuthorMessage
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Weight training - Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth EmptyMon 04 Apr 2011, 11:19 am

I too have been doing weight training as a part of my weekly exercise . I bought a set of 5kg dumbbells and a second hand weight bench with weights for around $150. I have even seen the weight benches at Kmart for a reasonable price. Good if you have the room at home.

There are training tutorials on YouTube or even the biggest looser website has some workouts to follow.

I think gyms are the way to go but my budget doesn't extend that far at the moment (poor uni student). I also find having the equipment at home really handy, I can do my weights at my own pace.

Best of luck :)

Jiggly
Back to top Go down
Mysti
Mysti

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth EmptyMon 04 Apr 2011, 10:54 am

Hi,

I have been going to curves since my op in Jan but its just not cutting it with my bingo arms and legs.. Have just signed up for Jetts... its a 24 hour gym and costs $21 per fortnight (which is cheaper than curves)... I have a personal trainer taking me through on a program ($50 per session) just to get me started and to concentrate on the areas specifically needed for me...He will give me a program to work on and then in maybe a month or two I will go back and see how its going and check in with him again for a top up. The good part is that they have the bikes and walking machine so if I want to do some cardio I can... I must admit I am feeling much better and will let you know how it goes..
Back to top Go down
antsinpants
Part of the furniture
antsinpants

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth EmptySat 26 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm

Thanks RTM - yep, he means "free weights" - I'm looking into using a personal trainer for an hour a week - but I"m not sure the budget will handle it!!!!
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth EmptyThu 24 Mar 2011, 12:27 am

Hi ants,

I'd ask your surgeon whether weight resistance machines, ie Curves is acceptable...its still 'weight training', or if he really really needs you to do 'free' weights...given that you are already spending money at curves....He may need you to explain what you do at curves as he may be quite clueless as to what it involves.

Provided that you are fatiguing the muscle on each machine, and bearing some kind of 'challenging' load, you will still be building up muscle, and reducing any diet related muscle wastage...which I suspect is behind his request for you to 'do weights'. All you may need to do is ramp up the exercises/weights, at your curves session.

For old-schoolers(like my hubby) and purists free weights are the only way, as they engage more muscles with each movement, trying to keep 'good form' and stability.

Your Doc may be a purist, or he simply may not be familiar with curves.

Give him a call.

Deb
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth EmptyTue 08 Mar 2011, 3:49 am

antsinpants wrote:
Hello!

I had my check up with the surgeon last week, and he has suggested that I need to do some weight training - just once a week - to build up some muscle tone.

Now I already have a gym membership at Curves - but they don't do weights. And I don't really want to pay another gym membership just to go once a week. Does anyone have any suggestions???

I am researching the local rec centre, but also thought about a personal trainer - obviously I would need one suited to the job...

Any thoughts or suggestions where I should look???

Ta!

Hi Ants

At our local YMCA you can go along for personal training without being a member, it just costs a little bit more. I love doing weights with a pt, it pushes you further than you would go on your own. Goodluck!
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth EmptyTue 08 Mar 2011, 3:25 am

Maybe check with Curves management; and if necessesary; buy some small weights, to use in the inbetween spots at curves. I checked one out in Perth (Curves) and saw one person doing such. I suppose it depends on how much weight training the dr wants you to do. I am sure others will have more suggestions.
Back to top Go down
antsinpants
Part of the furniture
antsinpants

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth EmptyTue 08 Mar 2011, 3:20 am

Hello!

I had my check up with the surgeon last week, and he has suggested that I need to do some weight training - just once a week - to build up some muscle tone.

Now I already have a gym membership at Curves - but they don't do weights. And I don't really want to pay another gym membership just to go once a week. Does anyone have any suggestions???

I am researching the local rec centre, but also thought about a personal trainer - obviously I would need one suited to the job...

Any thoughts or suggestions where I should look???

Ta!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight training - Perth   Weight training - Perth Empty

Back to top Go down

Weight training - Perth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Exercise-
Jump to: