*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

The Morning Show on channel 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyTue 08 Mar 2011, 4:40 am

Caz wrote:
I hear you about the reversible thing. I asked the same question and someone said to me "Why would you want it to be reversible" which is a very good question.

That shut me right up if I remember correctly.

Re the money side of things, it sort of depends. For example the doctor I went to gave all follow-up appointments with bands (fills/unfills etc) as part of the operation price. Having people do sleeves instead means many less follow-up appointments, so cheaper for him in the long run I guess.

Caz
When I told my banded friend I was being sleeved, the firs tthing she said to me was....you know its irrevesible don't you? Ummmm I don't want to be fat anymore, I don't want it to be revesable.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyTue 08 Mar 2011, 3:09 am

Things are changing though - when I started looking into weight loss surgery, the sleeve was not covered by my insurance company, although RNY bypass or lapband were. I just didn't want either. I noticed today the insurance company updated their guidelines and sleeve is now a covered benefit.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyTue 08 Mar 2011, 1:34 am

I hear you about the prosthesis costing money - but unless the doctors load the cost to the patient, or unless the companies that make them give them kick backs (which I'm sure they do in some cases), then it is cheaper for doctors to do a sleeve - more work up front, less follow up.

I hate it that companies do what will make more money than what is best for the patient, but that's the way the world is I guess!!!

I love my sleeve (can you tell) :-)
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyMon 07 Mar 2011, 11:09 pm

But Caz, the prosthesis costs the money, the company who makes them makes the money and when they have to eb replaced they make more money!!!

My hubby works in stores for a large private hospital and they go through 50 bands a week!!

And thats one hospital, imagine the money!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyMon 07 Mar 2011, 10:57 pm

I hear you about the reversible thing. I asked the same question and someone said to me "Why would you want it to be reversible" which is a very good question.

That shut me right up if I remember correctly.

Re the money side of things, it sort of depends. For example the doctor I went to gave all follow-up appointments with bands (fills/unfills etc) as part of the operation price. Having people do sleeves instead means many less follow-up appointments, so cheaper for him in the long run I guess.

Caz
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyMon 07 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm

Maybe it's because when they do a band they use an expensive prosthesis and this is good for business, when they do they sleeve they use 3 set of staples, not quite the same cost, not to mention the replacement in a few years ( returning business?) Don't underestimate the pull behind some of these things we are told are great. (ie, money!!)

As we know, there is a lot of money behind some big companies and it's in their own interests to promote their goods.

I'm thinking this is what it is.

Also, I think Drs would push the 'reversible bit' we all know it's good it's not reversible, but A LOT, and I mean a lot of people would get freaked out by that, I know i did a little bit, so it's a safer option and then the Dr is covered.

Janelou
Back to top Go down
soulcatcher
Part of the furniture
soulcatcher

Female
Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2010-09-16

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyMon 07 Mar 2011, 7:16 pm

Well we all know what will happen - people will go to an information session and will book in to discuss the sleeve in about 90% of cases. The info sessions usually sway people that way, and most of the theatre staff I chatted to pre-op said that banding was very definitely on the wane/way out.
Some of the staff had also had the sleeve and had family members booked in etc.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyMon 07 Mar 2011, 4:48 pm

Hi guys
Last time they did a thing on the lapband, I wrote a really long email about the sleeve and said that I knew a heap of people who would testify to its results, but they never even got back to me.
Maybe they'll like your letter better, newlife!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyMon 07 Mar 2011, 3:17 am

I hear you!!!

I can't help but think that the lapband doctors are hurting a bit though because I've been hearing actual advertising of the procedure lately! Never heard that before.

I'll be interested to hear if they come back to you - please let me know! My daughter works at Channel 7 from time to time so knows people there.
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 EmptyMon 07 Mar 2011, 3:00 am

hi all

well yet another story on tv about the wonders of lapband surgery this morning. I get so sick of the advertising of lapband as the wonder weight loss tool and nothing said about the gastric sleeve, which as we all know is a great option and maybe a better alternative to lapband. I suspect the money made from the manufacturer and the spinnoffs to doctors to use the product would have something to do with how much they push it. So I emailed the tv and talked about the sleeve and my weight loss success with that. not sure whether they will pick up the email, but worth a try me thinks.

hugs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Morning Show on channel 7   The Morning Show on channel 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Morning Show on channel 7
Page 1 of 1