Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

When Can I Go Swimming Empty
PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyFri 23 Sep 2011, 4:22 am

My Doctor told me 6 weeks post op but interestingly it wasn't because of infection from public pools. I specifically mentioned that to him and he said no it's because the water can make the wounds swell (even when healed over) and put pressure on them. I'm still amazed at all the different advice we get from our different doctors. Makes it confusing when wanting to share info sometimes.
Back to top Go down
chasedbytigers
chasedbytigers

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-06-27

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyThu 08 Sep 2011, 12:27 am

I am 5 weeks post-op and went swimming today for the first time in maybe 2 years. I was amazed that I could only do 10 laps and the pool is only 25m long!! I was puffed out. Will go 2 days a week to start with and 2 walks a week and just build up slowly. Was lovely and warm though, and covered so won't go crispy in the sun!
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 9:00 am

4 weeks post op was recommended to me also. Some of those public pools are a bit germy, and I didn't want to risk it!!
I found gentle walking was easiest at the start ... even just a stroll around the block to get the old body moving was a good start.

Good luck, and happy swimming (when the time comes).
Carah
Back to top Go down
leici
Sponsor
leici

Female
Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyThu 20 Jan 2011, 5:29 am

I'm a keen swimmer too- in a public pool. My surgeon made me wait 4 weeks post surgery because of possible infection and also just because of the exersion of getting in and out of the pool- stress on the internal areas...

6 weeks post op I was able to start the gym.

I can remember hitting the pool- geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it was good after that 4 weeks- but stay away from spas and things for a while after that.
Back to top Go down
kiwichick

Female
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-16

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 8:25 pm

Use waterproof dressings for all the surgery sites and you should be ok
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 11:49 am

I would wait until all wounds are healed. From my experience and with my Mum's knee replacement (also keyhole surgery), always advised to wait because of possible infection.
Back to top Go down
melbell
Part of the furniture
melbell

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2010-01-23

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 8:03 am

mandy4848 wrote:
Well Hello There!!!!

Just wondering if any one knows when it will be ok after surgery to go for some laps in a public pool.
I'm 5 days post op now....and pretty keen to hit the pool.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

i actualy asked my doc this question and i was told at least a week and half as there is high risk of infection in pools

mel
Back to top Go down
mandy4848
mandy4848

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 6:49 am

That is what I'm worried about.
Back to top Go down
Gussam
Gussam

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-11-29

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 6:42 am

No way would I be going near a public pool with the possibility of wound infection.
Back to top Go down
mandy4848
mandy4848

Female

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 6:41 am

HAHA MiddleWoman you must of been typing that was i was clicking to change it......
Back to top Go down
MiddleWoman
Part of the furniture
MiddleWoman

Female
Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2010-12-17

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 6:40 am

Hi Mandy4848,

With swimming, I would err on the side of caution. Perhaps ask your surgeon?

PS I think you might need to adjust your sleeve date in your profile ;) LOL I see you just did!!

MiddleWoman
Back to top Go down
mandy4848
mandy4848

Female

PostSubject: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming EmptyWed 19 Jan 2011, 6:33 am

Well Hello There!!!!

Just wondering if any one knows when it will be ok after surgery to go for some laps in a public pool.
I'm 5 days post op now....and pretty keen to hit the pool.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Can I Go Swimming   When Can I Go Swimming Empty

Back to top Go down

When Can I Go Swimming
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: