AuthorMessage
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Question re: band to sleeve pain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyTue 01 Feb 2011, 8:50 am

I have to agree with jen-e
the sleeve operation went so much better than the band - regarding pain. I just didn't realise how much I tolerated with my band in the hope it would "fix" my weight issues. - Now my friend the sleeve is working for so much better, with surgery recovery much less issue-riddled.
Three months down track, no vomiting, no blockages, no regurgitation, lost 16 kgs (still slow, but still moving downwards).
I love my sleeve!
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyMon 31 Jan 2011, 4:13 pm

For me the sleeve op recovery was so much less painful than the band recovery. I had a fair bit of pain with the band,the port site, for weeks. Barely any pain after the first day with the sleeve (and the 1st day wasn't a drama really either)
I love my sleeve!
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyMon 17 Jan 2011, 8:34 am

Hi Tagolu
I agree with everyone below - SLEEVE!!!!!
I endured the one band for 10 years (still can't believe it was that long) but with numerous surgeries and tests and fills and empties of the band - and reflux, oesophegeal ulceration, oesophegitis, you name it!!!

I had the band removed in July last year, weighed 2kgs more than when it was put in, and had to wait 3 months for the sleeve.

Shoulder tip pain the worst thing I have endured with the sleeve - and I now know it is my very obvious indicator that I just have to stop eating - but I don't vomit, I can sit through a meal with others and not even want to eat more than I can, and am losing weight and also cms from my body - I love my sleeve!

Only you can decide, and at least you won't have too much scarring from the 5 week band, but read some of the diaries, and the band to sleeve thread to help you ask your doctor more questions etc.

Best wishes on your big decision -
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
Berta
Berta

Female
Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyMon 17 Jan 2011, 8:19 am

Hi Kaz,

I also think the pain was less having the sleeve done compared to the band - I like the nerve explanation - makes sense to me. However, I suffered dreadfully from shoulder-tip pain for around 3 weeks after the sleeve surgery which meant that I was on Panadol for around 10 days - no opiats or anything stronger needed though.

With regard to the question about band vs sleeve - my only response is SLEEEEEEVE!!! My hubby is about to undergo the sleeve procedure instead of the band because he's seen what I went through for three years and didn't want a band under any circumstances.

My experience of the band was that I vomited daily, suffered terrible reflux, lost virtually no weight and hated the idea of eating in the end. I also cheated it religiously by drinking while I ate. I'm not saying that the band won't work for you - I know people who've done pretty well with it. However, for me the side-effects were just too much for me to cope with. Also, I like the permanancy of the sleeve and the fact that it will help me for the rest of my life -without having to worry about eroding etc...

I know I'm on the bandwagon so I'll sign off now. All the best with your decision - whichever way you go.

Cheers,
B x
Back to top Go down
Matt

Male
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyWed 12 Jan 2011, 8:05 pm

I would agree with many of the comments here.

I think the sleeve operation is more painful and the recovery is much longer. The difference is that the doc goes through more muscle to get the stomach pouch out and that is where the pain is.

I found it very hard to move around for a while especially when in bed. Now though, I have zero pain and have lost 27kgs and could not be happier.

My weight loss has slowed greatly lately but I am eating a tad more and have a few drinks as well which never helps. But I am still losing the weight.

The sleeve is great.
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptySat 08 Jan 2011, 9:29 am

Tagolu,

5 weeks? That's good.
The good news is you probably wont have the bad scarring from the band, that some of us have.
I had my band for almost 3 years. Was the happiest day of my life when it was removed.

Would I recommend the sleeve over the band? A million times yes.

My recovery was slow and horrible. I cried for 4 weeks, lol.

So, yes. I'm super happy that I'm now sleeved. I live like other, normal people who can stop at a couple and not eat a tonne.
Back to top Go down
kaz

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptySat 08 Jan 2011, 7:33 am

Dear Tagolu

5 weeks then having it out again it must be very disappointing.

My first band lasted 2 1/2 years but I was one of the first in wa to have one so there was no real info around about side effects. Looking back the band was broken from day one but no one knew. I had 4 scans which showed nothing it was only when the doctor agreed to expore that we found the slip problem.

The second band lasted 12 months but I never lost a single kg but I was pregs at the time so I had to wait until the baby was born to have the scan.

I'm waiting my three months until I can have the sleeve which will up in march. I know a lot of people with bands and they all seem to be having them removed and new ones in or going to the sleeve.

Its a hard one to answer but only you can make that choice as its about your body and happiness.

Best of luck
Back to top Go down
Tagolu

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: from band to sleeve   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyFri 07 Jan 2011, 5:14 am

Hi

I am new here and would like to ask if people who have had a band and now have a sleeve, what are their thoughts.

I had 1 band in for only 5 weeks when I had complications and the band was riddled with infection and had to be removed urgently. I have an appointment with Dr Sam Baker (Townsville) to organise repair where they took the band out and then to make a decision whether or not to have the band again or go for the sleeve. My surgeon is suggesting the sleeve and I am leaning heavily towards the sleeve. I just need to know and hear from those of you who have had similar experience.

Cheers Marianne Question re: band to sleeve pain 697586
Back to top Go down
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyFri 07 Jan 2011, 5:04 am

I had 1 band but 2 band surgeries (detached tube) and I have now been sleeved for 5 weeks. For me the pain was comparable to the band operation. I can't take opiates so I was only on IV Panadol in hospital and that worked fine.

I also had an umbilical hernia and a hiatial hernia repair at the same time which were more painful than the sleeve itself. The hardest part was trying to drink on day 2, I could only take eenie weenie sips of water and it hurt my stomach a bit.

Just take it as it comes, its out of our control anyway. Make sure you ask for pain relief when you need it, you shouldn't have to lie there in pain.

Good luck with the sleeve, I can't say enough good things about it. The sleeve is everything to me that the band wasn't.

Jiggly x
Back to top Go down
therese101
therese101

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyThu 06 Jan 2011, 2:44 pm

Hi Kaz,

I am the same as you 2 bands in 2 bands out. I am being sleeved on monday and am praying the pain is not too bad, i also need a hernia repair as well.

Therese
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyThu 06 Jan 2011, 11:41 am

Hi Kaz

I only had 1 band in and out but I did think that the pain at the wound sites after my sleeving was less and was even off pain meds within the first 24 hrs. I think you are right about the nerve endings being damaged from all the opening and closing.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyThu 06 Jan 2011, 2:06 am

Sorry Kaz.

The pain from my sleeve was pretty bad. My Dr couldn't staple where my band had been - he had to double stitch.
He was at that for 3 hours, so my recovery was longer than "normal sleevers"

6 weeks out though? Seriously, the best thing ever.
It's worth it.
Back to top Go down
kaz

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain EmptyThu 06 Jan 2011, 1:32 am

Hello

I have had 2 bands in and 2 bands out and each time the pain has been less. Im guessing its because they go in the same holes and the nerve ends are damaged so they dont hurt.

I wanted to know if anyone has gone from bands to a sleeve and the pain has been less.

I know Im grasping at straws but Im praying the pain will be like the last band which was removed. I was on only panadol

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question re: band to sleeve pain   Question re: band to sleeve pain Empty

Back to top Go down

Question re: band to sleeve pain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: