Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)

Go down 
+5
applesauce
Admin
Kaili
nicolev1969
dragonrider
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) Empty
PostSubject: Advice on how to save money on food while eating out   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptyTue 07 Oct 2008, 8:57 pm

I find lemon ices works better than ice cream and often have a half instead of a beverage because it stays down better. I also had two ounces of a frozen latte type drink and that stayed down really well, but when I tried the sugar free version all the chemicals they put in it to substitute for the sugar and cream tasted
gross Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) 314562

A small hersey bar has been sitting in the refrigerator at work, and I have had no desire to eat it, but when I want a taste of something sweet like a really moist brownie- I have it - about a teaspoon full - once I even had a tablespoon full. But.................. it is early days (4 weeks) and there is still a long way to go. I try to avoid the oh lord I want that so bad syndrome, so I taste WHATEVER I want and 9 times out of 10 I find that I don't like it. Like some lasagna today - IT LOOKED SO GOOD but 1 teaspoon was enough to convince me that it was a mound of salt. Ewwww.

I too am off fish but I am believe that will change with time since I really like to eat nicely prepared fish.

Now going to my main point

HOW TO EAT OUT AND SAVE MONEY

So I go to the cafeteria and walk around looking at everything. Well first I took a teaspoon each of the 2 of the soups to see if they were too acidic, and then I took a teaspoon of that great looking lasagna to see if it was worth the calories and found it was salty, and then they had a sample of two new types of crackers so I tried those, and then I asked them to let me sample the soft serve yogurt to see if it was too chemically tasting and then I realized I wasn't hungry any longer and left. Felt a little guilty but then I realized that they have made a heck of a lot of money off me in previous years.

Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) 487524
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptyTue 07 Oct 2008, 8:14 pm

Hey, Sue - "just say no", as they say! Not quite so easy as that, though, is it?
I usually allow myself a treat once a week - so when we go shopping, we'll buy a very small chocolate bar and share it. And believe it or not, just the small amount of chocolate does satisfy me now. Oh, I could easily eat more, and my head would prefer if I did - but my tummy is really happy with just a little.
Admittedly, however, the last couple of weeks I've been a little more lenient - but like you, I have to get back on track.
Actually, you've just reminded me that I bought some icecreams and they're in the freezer - pre-op, they would have called to me until I ate several a day until they were all gone. This time, I've actually forgotten they're there - that's brilliant, isn't it?
If I actually get hungry between meals, I tend to have about 3 rice crackers and that actually helps and doesn't do much damage. I had an apple one day, but it took me all day to eat it, and it was only small, so it went brown! LOL
But usually I'm quite full and can't think of eating junk. Oh well, that's wrong - I can think of it, but not follow through.
Mentos makes some nice new sweet chewing gum, a berry flavour and a lime flavour, and they're sugar free. I find that they help me a lot, when I want something sweet but don't want to eat.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptyTue 07 Oct 2008, 1:02 pm

Thanks Chris glad im not alone ive got to try and beat it though i need a mantra to say to get me off ice cream and chocolate any ideas

Cheers Sue
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptyTue 07 Oct 2008, 10:42 am

Don't worry, Sue, you're not alone - chocky and ice cream are still good for me, too.
However I have found that Asian foods do not agree with me - yet, anyway.
It's 14 weeks now, and yet I get a blockage every time I try Chinese or Thai. Maybe later...
Chris
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptyTue 07 Oct 2008, 10:00 am

Well im very jealous i still love my chocolate and icecream i cant eat fish much gone off that would much rather it was the other way around so im a wee bit jealous not fair

Cheers Sue :<a href=htt
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptyTue 07 Oct 2008, 1:11 am

I agree with the others. I too have gone off icecream and chocolate and when i eat anything sweet I get diahrea a few hours later. (Ate some pavlova and kit kat.... must go to the confessions thread now) and spent 2 hours on the toilet this morning between midnight and 2am.

steph
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptyMon 06 Oct 2008, 6:07 am

Honestly after about 3/4 months give or take some time everybody heals at a different rate you should be able to eat anything you want. Some people will still have a few problem foods or want to sauce up their food for a few more weeks or a month or more longer, this is nothing to be worried about. BUT be warned after your body has been off high fat or high sugar food it can feel quiet vile or seedy or ikky when you put it into your body. The first time this happened to me was having pancakes they had maple syrup over them and I had the shakes and all it was terrible. This is NOTHING at all to do with the sleeve as such, it is to do with the fact that you have changed your diet, not your plumbing hehehe. You have just spent more than 3 months putting very small quantities of usally very high quality good food into your stomach so when you put high fat or high sugar in your body it is going to react, and sometimes in a not nice fasion.
We should actually sticky this fact somewhere I do forget to warn people about this and know some people have thought it was something to do with being sleeved even. It is just we do start with such good intentions and eat such small portions our bodies can just freak when hit with high sugar or high fat. If you are diabetic you are likely to be even worse with this than somebody who is not.
I have all this chocolate from the show it is so funny and really a snack size bar ie bertie beetle morning and maybe again in the evening is my limit. THO I have discovered i love yoghurt covered balls, they do not have that over sweet sickly feeling chocolate gives me.
If you feel vile after a sugar hit try a cracker with a bit of cheese on it if you are not to full it helps, well me at aleast. Just takes the edge of the sugar hit.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
dragonrider
dragonrider

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-13

PostSubject: RE: Fruit cake   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 10:58 pm

Thanks for all the responses folks - looks promising but will have to wait and see I guess!!

Cheers
DR
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 1:52 pm

Kaili wrote:
You may find it's a case of not wanting to eat it, rather than being unable to eat it. :)

I used to love chocolate and ice cream, and now when I eat them I feel kind of seedy... :)

Kaili.
I am the same with chocolate and ice cream! I never have been much of an icecream person, but I did love a chocky!
I am happy doing without it now.
Fruit cake is fine for me though Dragon- or should I not call you Dragon..? LOL. Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) 796297
Hayley
Back to top Go down
Kaili
Part of the furniture
Kaili

Female
Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 10:12 am

You may find it's a case of not wanting to eat it, rather than being unable to eat it. :)

I used to love chocolate and ice cream, and now when I eat them I feel kind of seedy... :)

But, I'm 5 weeks post op and I don't think I'd have any trouble eating some (I don't like it though :P ).

Kaili.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 10:10 am

it would depend on how moist it was.....im 14 weeks post op and i am positive that i would be able to eat it.....
damn you....now im thinking about fruitcake....lol
Back to top Go down
dragonrider
dragonrider

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-09-13

PostSubject: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) EmptySun 05 Oct 2008, 10:08 am

had a thought today whilst wandering round the shops and see all the chrissy stuff around - can anyone out there who is 3months post op tell me if they can eat fruit cake?

I love fruit cake and i am so scared i wont be able to eat it anymore.

Cheers
Dragonrider Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) 427584
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)   Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Fruit cake (the eating type not the person kind!!!)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: