Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What happens to people who don't loose weight?

Go down 
+10
*Lib*
roadtripmama
AliKat
thankana
Emily
chrisbychic
shelly25
Janette
Isis
Sarah74
14 posters
AuthorMessage
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

What happens to people who don't loose weight? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyTue 30 Nov 2010, 12:27 am

And i will add-
dont put so much pressure on yourselves!!!!
you are all making healthy lifestyle changes so dont beat yourselves up
1 kilo a week is the recommened average to loose and lets your skin etc
not go as saggy as rapid weight loss can do.
I dont weigh myself regulalry because i know im loosing weight ,i know im getting healthier and i am not
putting deadlines or pressure on myself this time,in the past when ive done this i go really hard following
strict regumies then i cant handle it and will do the total opposite,so this time ive chosen
to take this approach and i know its life long!!

so give yourselves all a pat on the back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What happens to people who don't loose weight? 446871 What happens to people who don't loose weight? 217555 What happens to people who don't loose weight? 446871
shellyxx
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 11:46 pm

To the people saying I am only losing 1kg a week....that is fantastic!! Pre sleeve there is no way you'd have lost a regular 1kg a week. I know its dishartening, and its hard not to get cranky about it and get the WTF have I done to myself moments. Its rare that people don't lose weight, most of the threads you see about it, are people who have hit a bump in the road, but they do then go on to loose weight. Hang in there, its a hard road, but well worth the journey.
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 12:17 pm

Hi McDuff
I got sleeved 18 October - lost 10, then 11 then 12 kgs - and whammo - slowed right down to almost a standstill.
Today at the doctors' I actually got it confirmed that I have only lost 10.5 kgs, so felt a kick in the guts about it. (My scales are more generous than his)
He has slammed me for weighing myself so often - is very happy at 2kgs a week weight loss, but in no uncertain terms told me to just keep going to see the dietitian and do what she tells me and see him in 3 months unless I have any concerns. He wants me to ring him if I have any worries - so I asked if I should worry about not losing weight regularly - and he says he will be happy if I am losing anything - not necessarily regularly - and that the whole aim of this surgery is to change our eating and exercise behaviours, and weight is not the only thing we are working on.

So, please just stay confident - I know i can't afford to get depressed about anything anymore - it unravels everything, my eating, my exercise (whch is about 10-15 mins on a treadmill if I am lucky) and definitely buggers up my planning -even for the food for the next day. Then I start to panic and eat anything I can fit in, whether hungry or not. And then I start to think I have failed, and let that feeling take over.

So - confidence is the key - and you have already shown such confidence in undertaking the surgery - that was a huge confidence in yourself, your motivation, your doctor and all the people you have told - you had confidence - find it and be patient with yourself. You know what you are doing - just be patient - and let it all out on here coz there's lots of us going through things at different pace to each other but we share it and help each other through thick and thin!!!!
Best wishes - you are already successful - there's more to enjoy.
Loz
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 11:29 am

I TOO was 93kg to start with , then 85kg after opti, then i only lost 1kg a week, which is great you cant really do that easily with weight watchers or any of those places.
i thought it was great one kilo a aweek, i wirte all my losses down ad keep track of it all, i platued for the last month -6weeks but am loosing again..
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 9:24 am

I to have been having /am having the same issues with the losses and haven't been very happy with myself, I believe it is because I too was on the smaller side when sleeved 93kg Im now at 82kg at last weigh in (11kg in 12 weeks) .What happens to people who don't loose weight? 595690
So now I only weigh my self once per week as I get very down when the scales barely move, but as everyone on here reminds us it is a journey and I am still only at the beginning What happens to people who don't loose weight? 970802
Back to top Go down
Sarah74
Sarah74

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-10-31

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyMon 29 Nov 2010, 8:23 am

Hey McDuff,

I know how you feel, especially when I see 'i lost 2kgs this week, or i lost 1.5 kgs!' i don't want to take anything away from anybody, but geez it's hard when you have lost or .5 over 3 weeks.

I am eating so much less than I used too, i am sort of sad that I have been through all this and feel I am stuuck at 90kgs!

I feel your pain!

S x
Back to top Go down
mcduff
mcduff

Female
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyFri 26 Nov 2010, 12:14 pm

Hi all

I am glad i have found this link!!

I am now 7 weeks out and have only lost 5.6kgs and am beating myself up badly that i am not doing well enough. Most of the people on the october sleevers have lost heaps of weight and am so jelous that it is just not happening for me. I lost this weight in the first couple of weeks and have not lost any for about 5 weeks.

this just does not seem right.

Most days i eat well but i have had a couple of things that i could have done without. But it just is not fair that i am not loosing wieght i suppose i had this misconception that given i am hardly eating anything compared to what i used to then logic would say that i would have too loose weight, alas that is not the case.

I have started using my excercise bike this week in the hopes that i will give this body a kick start but i got weighed today and still no change.

I have talked to my GP and my shrink about the situation and they are at a loss as to what to recommend other than even loosing what i have is better going down than up.

I am not sure how much more of this my self esteem can take.

it is assuring though that others are having the same issues, make me feel not quite so alone.

Lynne
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 11:15 am

Sarah, your stats are about exactly where I was 10 weeks out, it'll happen! Shake it up a bit, change something simple, like up your protien or drop it, drink more water, seems to work for some just to kick start it!
Back to top Go down
Sarah74
Sarah74

Female

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 10:07 am

Thanks guys, words of wisdom, you are right RTMumma, you wouldn't want to broadcast it would you - if you gained that is!

I am like you, it's not going to come easy, I can eat and eat carbs, protein makes me feel yuk!!

Thanks for the support!

S x
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptyTue 23 Nov 2010, 8:04 am

Hi Sarah,

I lost 10kg in the first 10 weeks. Its normal. It may not be as fast as you want but it is normal.

I am now 6 months out, and at 60% EWL which is slap bang in the middle of average weight lost with this procedure!! I had hoped to be at goal by now, but I dont mind too much. I'm average, and Im gonna have to plod along doing the right thing...and I might lose more and I might not, time will tell.

I also have just had the increase in stomach capacity, as expected, have had many, many periods of plateau followed by loss, never had the 'just not hungry, and need to remind myself to eat' thing and have had to really work at staying the course...which is something new for me cos Im great at giving up and ruining things, especially when they are good for me!!

I am not one of those blessed and freakily lucky ones who have eaten whatever they liked and still had the weight drop off them all the way to goal like some of the lucky,lucky girls here...and to be frank thats not the normal course of events either.

But remember for every one of them, theres someone at the other end of the bell curve who hasnt lost anywhere near as much as even an average loss. And I think you are right, I dont know that they are well represented here. I think I'd be feeling crappy enough without broadcasting it publically, and I have complete respect for the few people who have!!

I guess what I am trying to say is, we can have some seriously deluded expectations of ourselves, especially in those first few months. I know I did.

You will start to feel better soon, especially when the clothes start not fitting anymore and the compliments begin. This didnt seem to start for me until about 15-20kg down when I bought the new 'slim fit' clothes.

We seem to be about the same size/height.

Just keep doing what you know you should be, and be patient with yourself. Concentrate on how much better you feel, and if the scales are doing your head in then get rid of them for a while...

Hope you feel happier soon.

Deb
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 11:07 pm

Hi Sarah,

I can understand how you feel. I all too often make the mistake of comparing my weight loss to others and in comparision I feel as though my weight loss is way, way too slow. It easy to get disheartened specially when the weight literally falls off in the beginning and then all of a sudden the weekly weight loss drops to half a kilo but I tell myself, it is a loss.

I know it is easier said than done but try not to compare yourself too much and as said, there are still plenty of weeks to lose weight ... oh, I don't like saying that or this "keep your chin up" and keep this thread alive with updates.

Hugs ...
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 9:26 pm

Hi There

It's working for you, ur losing weight. Never ever compare yourself with others on here, everyone is different. One major thing I TRY to do is avoid carbs, fried food and desserts. I did say try. Everything else I eat but I make sure protein is the first thing that goes in my mouth at meal times (old sureslim habit). If you ever need to talk u can PM me anytime. I actually feel yuk today, I feel like a hefalump even if I have lost heaps of weight.

What happens to people who don't loose weight? 217555
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 7:57 pm

10kg in 10 wks is exactly on target - my weight loss including opti is right on that level. I agree it's easy to feel like you're not losing "enough" compared to others but really, you have a 1 year window to lose the most weight. You've gone 10 wks, you have another 40 weeks. At the rate you're going, you'd lose 50kg in a year and really, that would be amazing for anyone. It's not a contest or a race, just so long as you keep losing...
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 7:16 pm

I don't think you're failing, but there is a thread called gastric sleeve failures if you want to check it out. It was started for that very reason!
But I agree - it's early days yet, and you've probably just hit a plateau.
Also, comparing yourself with others isn't always productive - just compare yourself with yourself, keep doing the right things, and don't forget to measure - usually when we plateau in weight, we're losing inches!
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 9:11 am

I guess firstly look at your diet/excercise
If your doing everything your supposed to be then just keep doing it,maybe vary your exercises.mix things up etc.
Be patient it will come off,think of this as long term,not days or even weeks.
If your not eating healthily and exercising then thats probably going to make all the difference to your success.
maybe dont think of it as not working,the sleeve is only a tool,the effort,the drive,the motivation etc is all up to you with or without the sleeve.Dont fall into the thinking pattern of its not working then using that as an excuse to over eat or make bad food choices.
there have been some members on here whove struggled or not got to goal or regained weight after time/
Stay positive youll get there!!
shelly
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 8:16 am

Hi Sarah

Hang in there. If you keep doing it right with your diet and exercise, it will happen.

Yes I am one of the sucessful ones, who has now reached my goal weight, BUT looking back at my weight loss history, between weeks 5 through to 15 I only lost only 5.4 kgs!! Yes, at times I was disheartened, especially the 2 weeks I gained, for no reason!!

Don't compare yourself to others, everyone is different.

Wishing you well, and stop worrying.

What happens to people who don't loose weight? 217555 What happens to people who don't loose weight? 217555

Back to top Go down
Isis
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 7:47 am

Hey Sarah,

Try not to get downhearted - not all of us lose as fast as some people on here, but as long as it keeps going down then it's working. You might be just going through a plateau stage at the moment - it is so common, do a search and see other people's plateau experiences. Sometimes it's due to food intake, type of food, lack of exercise, or increased exercise causing a muscle building period. Keep track of your measurements too - the scales mightn't be moving much but you might still be shrinking.

The other thing is that you were a lot lighter than many on here to start with and so percentage-wise your weight loss may be very similar to someone who started bigger but has lost a bit more. Don't despair yet - 10 weeks is still quite early days. I hope it gets better for you soon!! I have the same fears as you so know how you feel! I'm having a plateau at the moment, 5 weeks out :(
~Isis
Back to top Go down
Sarah74
Sarah74

Female

PostSubject: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? EmptySun 21 Nov 2010, 7:13 am

Just a bit down at the moment, have been through all this and now weight loss slowing right down, the forum is good pre-op, but it hard now, becuase getting on here reinforces the fact that I have not lost the same as everyone else.

So I was thinking......

What happens to those people it doesn't work for?? Because the less it doesn't work for me, the worse I feel and seeing everyone else do so well upsets me.

Do you think this board is overly positive, becuase there seems to be very few people who don't succeed, but there must be people out there who don't loose the weight??

By the way, started at 105, lost 10 kilos in 10 weeks, (inclduing opti) so now 95, most people I have seen have lost 17/17/18 kilos at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happens to people who don't loose weight?   What happens to people who don't loose weight? Empty

Back to top Go down

What happens to people who don't loose weight?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: