8 posters
AuthorMessage
Daniela
Daniela

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-07-15

Advice Needed for My Mother Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 10:00 pm

thanks everyone soooo much for your help... ive been reading all your responses to my mum..
she has made an appointment with Dr Talbot in 2 weeks(he did my surgery and i was thrilled so id want her to use him)

we have to go along to a get together.. i still havent been to one as they are mainly during the week.

thanks again everybody

xx
Back to top Go down
hape2cu

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 9:48 pm

My Mum is 60 and she had the sleeve done yesterday :6525

Her GP said they wouldnt do it on someone her age. But obviously they dont know anything and the surgeon said whilst she might not lost as much as myself and sister in law who have had it done she would still lose about 28kgs, and she is only 5 foot 1 or 2. So i think thats a lot for a short person. Plus she is already just under 90kg, so 28kg is a lot.

My mum also has arthritis in both feet, and it will be great to see her suffer less with that as the weight comes off.

Hope everything works out well for your mum.

Hape2cu
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 8:38 pm

Speaking as one of the older people on the forum (I'm 61 and was nearly 60 when I had surgery) I couldn't emphasise more how much of a difference it has made to my life.

I feel 20 years younger, I think I look younger (but perhaps my eyes are failing), and I've got so much more energy than before.

I would be happy to talk to your mum if she would like to chat with someone - just PM me the details and I could call her or she could call me.

Hugs
Caz
Back to top Go down
neljatye
Part of the furniture
neljatye

Female
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 10:31 am

Hi
My mum is 66 and has had her thyroid out so is on thyroid medication and had sleeve done last year and is doing great...went from 128kgs and is now a steady 73kgs.....
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 9:23 am

ditto to what everyone else has said....
My mum is 67 next year and is getting the sleeve done while she is on a trip around australia! Once she gets to Perth, I am getting her to see Jon Armstrong and to book in for surgery!

I am sure you mum will be a lot healthier and happier having the weight off.... my mum can't wait!
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 8:17 am

Hi Daniela,

It is so sweet of you to be thinking about your Mum. My lovely Mum is a little shortie, as she calls herself. She's just on five foot and as she ages she is getting a little shorter! She is 140 kgs and 63 and I would give my right arm to see her have the surgery. I just can't afford it and neither can she ... oh to have the winning lotto numbers ...

I know I can't give any medical advice but as a daughter, just like yourself, I would encourage her to get along to a surgeon to seriously consider the sleeve. It sounds like your Mum has done an amazing job in keeping the weight off that she has lost and just getting rid of that last bit of weight will make an amazing difference. I really do think the sleeve will see that happen.

I am 40 and have been overweight since my mid to late teens. Over the years there hasn't been a part of my body that hasn't ached ... my lower back, knees and feet being the worst. But since the June long weekend I have lost just over 28 kilos and have about the same to go but I already feel the difference.

I am 99.9% sure about what Caz said about the balloon is correct - it is only temporary. There is a topic somehwere on here about surgeons, check it out and hopefully your Mum will take the step and consider the surgery.

Cheers,

Alison.
Back to top Go down
Sweetbee703
Part of the furniture
Sweetbee703

Female
Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 7:08 am

Strongly agree with Emily here, as its always best to hear it from the surgeon himself about the questions she may have.

You mentioned thyroid issues and previous surgeries for excess skin...so really its worth her while to get a referral to see a surgeon of her choice and attend his/her info session (may be there will be a chance to ask a quick question then itself) and see him with the info she has about the sleeve (i doubt she needs anymore info as she might have seen you all the way since the beginning!!).

The first consultation is all she has to loose if she decides not to go ahead with the surgery.This is just my personal opinion.

But as Caz said sleeve will be obviously beneficial for management of her arthritis.

Let us know how she goes!

Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 6:40 am

I would only advise her to go talk to a surgeon and see what they think - without knowing anything much about her medical status it is hard to advise.
Back to top Go down
Daniela
Daniela

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 5:10 am

thanks Caz, i think she should do it too..
im glad i can show her your response =)other ppls opinions are always great
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 4:08 am

I think the gastric balloon is only temporary - can't stay in permanently - so no sure how well that would work for her.

I definitely think the sleeve would work for her - I had mine at a much later age. And while she may have a little looser skin after loss, it isn't as if she has another 50 kg to lose, so I doubt it would make much difference, and the benefits of improving her arthritis etc and getting off xenical would be worth it. And she would most likely be able to exercise then too!

That is my 2 cents worth anyway.

Caz
Back to top Go down
Daniela
Daniela

Female

PostSubject: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother EmptyWed 17 Nov 2010, 3:19 am

Hi Everyone,

Okay i need your advice for my mother who is considering sleeve surgery.. i would appreciate anybody's input..
Here is her situation:

My Mum is 52 years old, suffered with her weight her entire life, she is on thyroid medication and takes xenical every day.

About 6 years ago she was 140kgs, however with diet/excercise and xenical she dropped 30 kgs and has been 110 kgs for the past 6 years which she has kept off.. however she does take xenical.

when she dropped the weight she was lefft with saggy skin(also due to having 3 kids) so she got a tummy tuck and a breast reduction..

she is 6ft so although she weighs 110kgs she still looks good and she wants to lose about 20kgs however she eats very healthy but she cant seam to lose any weight.

she has a permanently injured knee and ancle with severe arthuritis so she knows she needs to bring her weight down however she cant do much excercise.

What would your advice be for my mother? do you think she should do the sleeve surgery? i had also read about a gastric baloon, i dont know much about it, has anybody done this?

A big issue is she has gone through with the tummy tuck, to now lose the weight, do you think she would have the baggy skin again?

Any advice would be great.

x daniela

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice Needed for My Mother   Advice Needed for My Mother Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice Needed for My Mother
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: