AuthorMessage
lisab
Part of the furniture
lisab

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-04

hysterectomy age 41.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyTue 15 Mar 2011, 7:01 am

I had a radical hysterectomy at 42 (5 years ago) due to chronic anemia and it was the best thing I could have done! Since the surgery I have been on hormone replacement ( this is usually only needed if they take the ovaries as well) and I have had an iron infusion as well which has helped with the anemia. I had to have open surgery (from hip to hip) due to scarring from 4 c-sections this was the only down side as it took 5-6 weeks to recover.
There is a forum for women I think it's called "Hystersisters" or something like that, that was helpful to me.
Good luck on whatever you choose to do but I havent met anyone who has regretted getting one done yet!

Lisab
Back to top Go down
sherilou

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2011-01-07

PostSubject: Hyster Siter   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 4:05 am

I had a vaginal hysterectomy at age 36......BEST thing I ever did. I was bleeding 16 days in every 28...and it was major flooding ...sorry tmi. I had tried injections, depo, mirena, different types of pills etc to no avail. I was not a suitable candidate for eblation because of the scarring from a caesarian.

The surgery was painless..didn't take anything for pain in the hospital or at home...was in for four days just for monitoring but I felt so good...had 6 weeks off work..felt so guilty for staying home because I was so unaffected from the surgery. I have had no problems with hormones, dryness or anything else thereafter.....just no more debilitating periods!!

GO FOR IT
Back to top Go down
roadtripmama

Female
Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyMon 14 Mar 2011, 3:41 am

Hi All,

My friend had problems with heavy periods....she ended up having a ?laser endometrial ablation.

Hasnt even spotted since and that was several years ago.

No early menopause and all her bits left intact. Her fertility is affected so not suitable for younger women wanting to actually have children.

The Mirena IUD has also helped with another friend....

FWIW my periods are all over the place too. I'll be asking about endometrial ablation when I next see the GP.

Might be a good interim treatment if you are premenopausal.

Day procedure, light GA only, mild discomfort only.

Heres a link: http://brochures.mater.org.au/Home/Brochures/Mater-Mothers-Private-Hospital/Endometrial-ablation

Deb
Back to top Go down
gottarhyme
Top Poster
Top Poster
gottarhyme

Female
Number of posts : 3826
Registration date : 2011-02-22

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptySat 12 Mar 2011, 12:42 am

I am 49, and I realise that there is sometimes a valid health reason for having a hysterectomy.

But it beggars the question, how come when men have problems 'down there', they don't immediately chop off their balls or take the prostate?

The word 'hyster' (from the ancient Greek) was coined by surgeons in the 1600s to deal with any 'woman's problem' eg, menopuase, depression, etc, and removing the womb 'fixed' the mad woman. The word 'hysterical' comes from this word, and is applied to any 'irrational' behaviour by a woman.

Am I the only woman who thinks that medical thinking regarding 'women's troubles' has not changed since ancient Greek times?

If Men's balls were removed routinely, I am damn sure there would be a 'cure' by now!

Sorry, just my little rant.

Heavy periods during peri menapuse is completely normal. More Doctors need to understand a woman's body better. We are not men with a womb and breasts!

Did you know that learning to be a GP you learn off a MALE physiology? It makes my feminist blood boil.

Sorry for the rant.
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptySat 13 Nov 2010, 9:55 pm

I've had hormone replacement therapy pretty much ever since, except for the times I just couldn't be bothered taking tablets! I also ended up having my ovaries taken out because of adhesions and damage from infection. Lost one with the sub-total, and the other a year later. [One whole long, sorry story... almost died. It was the last resort....] So, they told me I wouldn't make my own hormone... Found out a few years ago now, that I was! So... when That Time of Lift kicked in, I ended up being very conscientious and now take them regularly and will for another couple of years. They told me at the time that any replacement therapy I did, is not as good as your own hormone production, and to expect that "things" would happen in "later years". Well, I now find that I'm beginning to get arthritis and other joint issues, and I've shrunk about 2". Dunno whether this would have happened anyway, but it's a bit on the scary side.
Ageing... dammit!
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptySat 13 Nov 2010, 7:31 am

Hey Raingold... how have you gone since having it done. Any issues that have arisen ie: having to take any medications to replace anything....
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyFri 12 Nov 2010, 10:19 pm

Jan, you're friend isn't the only one.
I also had one at 29
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 10 Nov 2010, 11:50 pm

Maria I had a hysterectomy at 41 and it was the best thing I ever did.

Mine was done due to anemia....I had a hg count of 3 and was so exhausted.

Had mine done vaginally and apart from another episiotomy and having the 50 kilometers of packing they shove up your woohah, removed the next day....a singularly unpleasant experience I am in no hurry to repeat......once the truck carrying all that wadding backed out of the room I was fine.

It took me a good 6 weeks to recover but that was due to tha anemia. A round of 25 iron injections took care of that and I still to this day have the stains on my hips to prove it.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision. Never having to venture down the tampon aisle in the supermarket is blissful, or was, until I had to do it all again for my girls.

Oh and no other changes to life apart from the fact that you are available 365 days a year in the boudoir!!
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyTue 09 Nov 2010, 1:11 am

Hey Maria,

(Touch wood) I haven't had any issues at all. I hadn't started menopause prior to the hysterectomy, and although my GP said I would probably go through that afterwards, as the hormones left my body, I haven't had any symptoms yet.

I have had a few batches of blood tests done and everything is great other than my iron levels. I was anaemic prior to having it done, and that was expected to improve once I didn't have the heavy periods to contend with... but I am still anaemic now so I'm not sure what that is about.

I'm sure other people have had different experiences, but for me it has all been positive.

Hugs - Carrie
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyTue 09 Nov 2010, 12:27 am

Has anyone had any issues after surgery with having to take medications to replace anything that you have "lost".... I sort of want to know the long term effects of having a hysterectomy. I am going to make an appt with a surgeon but thought I would put it out there on here first!
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 10:25 pm

Hi Maria,

I had mine a year ago last week. I was 49 (just, LOL) at the time. I had a radical hysterectomy
(ie. everything went) and, because it was being done in order to rid me of other nasties, had open surgery. I was 6 nights in hospital and although it was quite a long recovery time, 6 weeks off work, it really wasn't too bad.

I've got quite a big scar and I did lose my belly button in the whole process. I've had no regrets, and have had a couple of surgeries since (including my sleeve) and am apparently pleasantly adhesion free. And I have to tell you, throwing all those tampons & pads away was a hugely liberating moment :-)

Tamara, wrote in her diary yesterday about her caeserian where her Dr did a mini tummy tuck while they were there, why don't you see if you can charm one of those out of your Dr too :-)

Hugs - Carrie xxx

Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 9:46 pm

Only the ususal; adhesions (when you are prone to them they cannot be avoided; only they do other things to lessen them after any surgery). Take care.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 10:43 am

Have you had any problems since surgery....?
Back to top Go down
Smurfette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Smurfette

Female
Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 9:49 am

I had one at 27; after an etopic pregnacy with major complications; though in the end the best thing I ever had done (though the sleeve may beat it); a total hysterectomy with open surgery; the only way they could do it on me. I am told from daughter and friends that have had it in not so many years ago that it is a breeze and only in hospital a day or two. I was in for four weeks.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 7:10 am

One of my teachers at work had one at 29.
Now thats young!
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 5:09 am

I had one at 38. You can ring me if you like.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female

PostSubject: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 4:50 am

has anyone had a hysterectomy at age 40ish..... I am seriously thinking of having one as I am so sick of my monthlies being all over the place. I am going to have bloods done today as I am soooo tired, could be that I have had 2 full heavy periods in the last 4 weeks! So so so sick of them!

If you have had a hysterectomy what were the symptoms you had for you to decide to have it done. Did you have a vaginal hysterectomy or a laproscopic one....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hysterectomy age 41....   hysterectomy age 41.... Empty

Back to top Go down

hysterectomy age 41....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: Guys, Girls & Relationships :: Secret Women's Business-
Jump to: