chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptyMon 05 Dec 2011, 6:22 am

Hi there

Just looking at this one again, as I'm now having a hysterectomy on the 13th of December, following tests, scans, etc etc etc. The D & C I mentioned previously went well, and confirmed certain things, but didn't solve the problems.

Since I have a huge fibroid and my uterus is also enlarged, I will be having mine the old-fashioned way - no vaginal or laparascopic ease for me. Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve 595690

I've been told that I'll be in hospital for 5 days, and unable to drive or do anything much for about 6 weeks. Since I'm usually a slow healer, it might be longer. But I'm looking forward to it all being over.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptySat 02 Oct 2010, 2:00 am

Thanks CG...No cuts so recovering better I think than those of you who ad to deal with that as well. Joyla and Chrisbychic good luck with your upcoming procedures...hope the following helps...

S

The below is a cross post from my diary...
Thank you all for your thoughts and wishes....am home now and doing well....

Set off to hospital on Tuesday...was 71kgs on my home scales (73 on the hospital ones)...woke up from surgery in recovery with a number of nurses looking after me and dosing me up on pain relief...Surgery was short...maybe 45/50 mins and I was back in my hospital room by 12/12.30ish.

Vaginal hysterectomy meant no abdo cuts (laprascopic or otherwise) no blown up belly so none of those issues that we all have after sleeve surgery. Also no magic button with pain relief...

I was in pain when I got back to the room but felt far more clear headed then post sleeve surgery...I had a pethidine shot early afternoon and that helped a lot..so all was proceeding as could be expected....BUT my BP started to drop...got down to 80/40 so they started to give me lots of attention...ecg was OK...they pushed a lot of fluids through...on oxygen for first day and a half.

Wed AM they removed the catheter...took blood (everyone was commenting on how pale I was)...had a shower...nearly passed out in the shower....the world went grey and I think I would have fallen had a chair not been there.

When I came out nurses told me my bloods had come back and haemaglobin was 73....so back to bed I went...more fluids, more oxygen and three bags of blood... by Thursday things were settling down and I came home Friday.

Surgeon believes I must have been oozing internally somewhere...but there was no indication of any problem when they did the surgery. Says the blood will be reabsorbed -- like a bruise.

Stopped taking oral pain relief Wednesday night...pain was manageable and I didn't want to have ongoing bowel issues...doc had me on laculose twice a day DISGUSTING worse than supradyn and made me gag ...DO NOT RECOMMEND IT!! Went onto coloxyl tablets Thursday night and nothing now I am home.

One problem was I really didn't want to eat and hospital food did not fit my current eating habits...didn't really want to drink either so did not do well nutritionally at all... Had major headache last night from dehydration...Will need to pay attenttion to getting enough water and protein in in the next week.

Worst thing was that I was pumped so full of fluids that I put on six/seven kilos in three days....so now will be watching to see how long it takes to get back down to pre-op weight.

Abdo still uncomfortable and will feel the effects for a while from anterior repair which means being careful re pelvic floor and associated bits but in general feeling better than expected -- and much better than the same stage of sleeve surgery.

S
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptyTue 28 Sep 2010, 7:28 am

I had a hysterectomy and one of my ovaries out 2 years ago. Because they had to remove one of my ovaries they cut me similar to c-section. For me the pain from this was 10 times worse than the sleeve. I needed more time off and felt I couldn't do as much. I needed at least 4 weeks to recover. Well they said 6 weeks but as soon as I was 4 weeks out the rest and pampering stopped cause hubby and the kids seemed to think I was fine so I just got back into it. Was once I started driving I think.

With the sleeve I was driving pretty much after 1 week and altho I was careful didn't feel restricted as much. Had a lot more pain with the Hysterectomy. I am so glad I had natural births after having to go through that.
Back to top Go down
Joyla
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptyTue 28 Sep 2010, 12:29 am

Hi sssss
Thankyou so much for asking this question. As you will see from my diary, my sleeve decision was put on the front burner because of failed gynae surgery and I am due to have a full hysterectomy via laproscope as soon as I am recovered from the sleeve. So I am interested in this.
I'm must say though I am sorry you are facing this and hope that all turns out ok.
Also to you Crisbychic, hope your tests next week have a good outcome.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptyMon 27 Sep 2010, 2:42 pm

Thanks Tina...

I really appreciate your thoughts and comments..,,,also hope you feel better soon. I was pretty knocked about for the first week and a bit after sleeve surgery...but recovered quite quickly thereafter,

S
Back to top Go down
Pink Gerbera
Pink Gerbera

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptyMon 27 Sep 2010, 9:44 am

Hi Sssss

I had a sub-total hysterectomy (a cut similiar to a ceaser) about four years ago and it was a piece of cake compared to lapband and sleeve surgery. I was told to take 6 weeks off work but could have gone back in two and ended up going back in 5 because I was bored stiff. Early this year I had a wire loop incision on my cervix which is done vaginally under general anaestetic and went back to work in 5 days.

I seem to suffer from terrible nausea with the weight loss surgery but have had a lot of gynae surgery not just the hysterectomy and always recovered quickly.

I am two weeks out from having the sleeve and am still totally exhausted and struggling to go to work each day. Two weeks after my lapband I was still in terrible pain and struggled going back to work as well. Two weeks out from having a hysterectomy I was feeling fantastic free from pain and bleeding. I was in hospital a week after my sleeve and only five days after my hysterectomy but everyone is different I guess.

Sorry this is so long but my point is a hysterectomy is not the always the worst and biggest surgery recovery you will have. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Tina
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptySun 26 Sep 2010, 10:00 pm

Dear Carrie

Thanks for your response...I love the fact that your decision to get a sleeve meant the doctors found your uninvited guests and were able to deal with them accordingly -- although it was obviously a major major health issue...

You're right that our circumstances are not the same, but I love to know as much as possible about what I might be facing and I appreciate the info.

Chris...best of luck with the D&C next week and I hope everything works out in the best possible way...

S
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptySun 26 Sep 2010, 9:39 pm

This is great info for me right now, everyone, as I'm looking at this possibility myself soon. Have to have a D & C next week to get pathology done, and decisions will then be made after that.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptySun 26 Sep 2010, 11:20 am

Hi S,

I'm not sure if my experience is of any value to you. I had a radical hysterectomy and general gutting in October last year. I was in hospital for a week and had to have six weeks off work. I was very weak and knocked around afterwards and found it tougher than my sleeve op. I needed a lot of pain medication in hospital and afterwards.

It's probably not comparable to yours though as I was heavier, really unfit, and riddled with tumours and was slit open from above my belly button (which was stolen in the process) almost to my groin. Even though I was only 9kg lighter by the time I had my sleeve, I was much fitter and I'm sure that, along with the fact that it was keyhole, contributed to how well I did post-sleeve.

I wish you well tomorrow my dear. I will be thinking of you and sending loving thoughts in your direction.

Love and hugs - Carrie xxxxx
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptySun 26 Sep 2010, 10:12 am

Thanks Anna...

I really appreciate your response. I'm starting out a bit healthier than you were at the time so fingers crossed that my recovery is also a bit smoother...

Given that I also have had a pretty easy recovery from the sleeve I was hoping they would be on par! Sounds like you had a tough time leading up to yours....glad life has been better since.

S
Back to top Go down
aprilsun
aprilsun

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptySun 26 Sep 2010, 8:52 am

HI sssss,
I had the same op your having on tuesday, mine was back in 2002. Personally I felt more pain [ not bad] with the hysterectomy than I did with the sleeve.

Mind you, I had been bleeding no-stop for about 6months, so I was very anaemic, which they didnt pick up prior to the op, so I was very tired all the time, very low energy and everything was an effort. Plus I got a infection in the 3rd week after the op, which put me in hospital again. Physically the hyst took more out of me than the sleeve. Emotionally they could be on par.

I breezed through the sleeve, no pain, no nausea, no vomiting............. just feeling tired, but thats to be expected from lack of food....lol.

Thats not to say that you will be the same, again as everyone says.......... we're all different. I think it also depends on what your reason for the hysterectomy is also, I had fibroids and I lost alot of blood coming up to the op, physically that was draining and also emotionally...........it was like having a period that lasted a month instead of 5 days, and that was everyday in the last six months, so I say that would have made a difference.

But they are both the best thing I have ever done, I dont know if your DR said anything to you, but mine told me that I would have more pain from the repair job than I would from just the hysterectomy, but Im glad I had the hysterectomy, its so liberating especially if heavy bleeding is the problem, you dont have to worry about TTOM anymore and you cant get PREGNANT!!!!!!!!.

I wish you all the best, and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve 217555
Anna

Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve EmptySun 26 Sep 2010, 7:56 am

Hi all

Am heading off for vaginal hysterectomy (uterus and cervix only) and anterior repair on Tuesday.

Am really keen to know from those of you who've had the surgery how you felt the recovery and post op experience compares to the sleeve... Obviously no lap incisions so that should be better...

Am scheduled to go back to work (desk job) in two weeks and am getting a lot of feedback I may not feel up to it (have a commitment for the week I really don't want to have to reneg on).

I went back to work 2.5 weeks after sleeve but probably could have gone sooner.. Was in hospital five nights after sleeve...gynae suggests only 2 or 3 nights in hosp for this op.

Would value hearing about your experiences...

S
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve   Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Recovery comparison: hysterectomy vs sleeve
Page 1 of 1