AuthorMessage
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 11:47 pm

Mamacoops - your personality can still be as vivacious and outgoing as always ... losing kg's doesn't mean losing personality! "Thanks" is a good response for those that comment. I try and focus on the way I'm FEELING as opposed to the way people think I'm LOOKING. When someone says "You look like you've lost weight" etc, I reply with "Thanks, I'm feeling really good. I've got heaps more energy".
Chances are, your friends and family thought you were beautiful before surgery, and they will continue to think this whether you lose weight or otherwise. We are not defined by our appearance. Chin up and remember to enjoy the ride!!
Cheers,
Carah
Back to top Go down
mamacoops
Part of the furniture
mamacoops

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-07-22

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 6:35 pm

cartay wrote:
It's an interesting thought put forward by your hubby mamacoops, and perhaps something worth thinking about further. Have you spoken with a psychologist/councellor at all? I am a true believer that our journey of weight loss does not just centre around what we do and don't eat. After all, most of us have been overweight for a long time - if it was just a case of mind over matter, we wouldn't have had to go down the surgery path at all. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health, so take the time to tackle your weight loss in a wholistic way.
And, in the mean time, you should be very proud of your weight loss so far. 'Slow' or otherwise, it is still coming off, and that is a fantastic achievement in itself.
mind over matter? 446871
Best of luck,
Carah

Thank you Carah,
these kinds words helped me no end...
I agree that this is a process of the whole self, not just a physical one, but I wasn't prepared for it!! I have been so focused on my body as a site of health and fitness, that I didn't see this one coming. A lot of people are commenting on my weight loss now; I am finding it hard to deal with... I didn't expect people to 'look' at me in a physical way ... if that makes sense. I suppose it is because I have always used my personality to get me through life that is a bit of a shock to find people looking at my shape! To be completly honest, I find it uncomfortable because I still don't want them to look at me because I still feel 'fat' - although I do feel more comfortable in my skin - I suppose that side of it is very psychological!!

Over the last day or so, I have just replied 'thanks' and changed the subject!

I don't think this is depression; my moods are generally stable and I only get 'moody' when I am tired... I don't think, well I am pretty sure that I wasn't an emotional or comfort eater before the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 2:16 am

hi mama...
i agree about the holistic approach, but am hoping that if you suffer from depression, as so many of us do, that you'll be tackling that anyway.
don't forget that the last 10-15kg are the hardest to lose and need the most work.
i find that if i cut back on protein or have more carbs, that i put on a couple of kgs easily - but if i do the opposite, i'll kick a couple off.
good luck
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 1:13 am

Yes, I find that if I don't eat enough my weight stablises... but if I eat enough calories the weight starts to shift again!
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 11:45 pm

It's an interesting thought put forward by your hubby mamacoops, and perhaps something worth thinking about further. Have you spoken with a psychologist/councellor at all? I am a true believer that our journey of weight loss does not just centre around what we do and don't eat. After all, most of us have been overweight for a long time - if it was just a case of mind over matter, we wouldn't have had to go down the surgery path at all. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health, so take the time to tackle your weight loss in a wholistic way.
And, in the mean time, you should be very proud of your weight loss so far. 'Slow' or otherwise, it is still coming off, and that is a fantastic achievement in itself.
mind over matter? 446871
Best of luck,
Carah
Back to top Go down
mamacoops
Part of the furniture
mamacoops

Female

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 8:07 pm

I have just joined myfatsecret.com I am not usually one to track food as I get too obessed but I thought I would give it a go for a couple of days to see how I am doing... might shed some light on the matter!!
Back to top Go down
mamacoops
Part of the furniture
mamacoops

Female

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 5:22 pm

[quote="mapmar"]I am trying to go back to basic healthy eating and eating enough to lose weight as I was finding that I went back to my old eating pattern of not eating breakfast etc.....

Thanks for your reply Mapmar... Well done on your weight loss so far! When you eat less do you find that you don't lose as much, if any? I am now wondering if I am not eating enough????
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 4:30 pm

I am trying to go back to basic healthy eating and eating enough to lose weight as I was finding that I went back to my old eating pattern of not eating breakfast etc..... I find that when my depression kicks in I am not eating which beforehand food was the first thing I turned too... My weight has been stable now for at least three months but at least it has not gone up!!!! I know what I need to do... Just have to do it to finish off my last 15kg
Back to top Go down
mamacoops
Part of the furniture
mamacoops

Female

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: mind over matter?   mind over matter? EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 2:07 pm

Hello fellow sleevers...

As you probably know, I am a slow loser... of course this is frustrating, but (and it is a big but, no pun intended) I am concentrating on the positive and feel good generally...
When I was moaning to my hubby he said that it might be a 'mental' thing.... due to the fact that I have been big for such a long time, my 'head' doesn't want to get rid of the weight... almost using it as a comfort blanket?!
I did (still do to a degree) use my weight as a joke.. to make people laugh etc and I am one who will take the mickey out of myself! For fun reasons only...

I was just wondering if anyone else thought along these lines and how they turned it around. I still have a lot of weight to lose ...
thanks in advance x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

mind over matter? Empty
PostSubject: Re: mind over matter?   mind over matter? Empty

Back to top Go down

mind over matter?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: