Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How will I get through the next 51 weeks?

Go down 
+63
Willowgirl
TinaLou
Pineapple
Bumbles
wilkiebarkid
dream4life
rebirth
nezza66
JJW
Kiley
stormyandthunder
GKEL81
MissHollywood23
lin1970
veronica simcoe
gruggy
chereign
Melinda38
Kell
justjed
cyclonestorm
Eringirl
kay63
Jacko84
goldfingerkristi
cocosnuts
Emma1989
Kate
Shazbotzski
JayNay
SloJo
Sylvia41
Lozza (takitaki)
Fraggle
Kylie
gottarhyme
Bellshell
Ryjackmama
gibb100503
Synna
jessied
D'Girlz
gemp285
Janette
prillbaby
Miss Vicki
DBFiveGirl
Ozzieloz
Tempest
lovelyslim
Bamba
sssss
J
shelly25
gkathanasiou
NutMeg
Kazz
kazlikesgreen
realme
butterfly girl
Emily
Peazles
Jaime
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 11:29 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi guys,

I have only JUST taken out PHI last week and it's driving me nuts, knowing that I can't have my sleeve surgery for 12 months.

Are there a lot of you that had to wait this long? How did you cope?

I am going to try Tony Ferguson (again) in the meantime, but every time I try, I don't end up sticking to it.

Woe is me lol How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 595690
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
D'Girlz
Top Poster
Top Poster

Number of posts : 1749
Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySat 22 Jan 2011, 12:28 pm

Hello fellow pre sleevers!
I applied for PHI in Feb 2010 for the specific reason of getting the sleeve done. I am booked for the 15th Feb 2011.
It is a long and frustrating wait, but the time does go quite quickly.
I hope you all have a speedy 12 months.
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySat 22 Jan 2011, 11:49 am

Wow kinda freaky last time I posted in here it was 96 day till my insurance kicked in..

Have had a couple of small set backs but im booked in for my sleeve on thursday all things going well.

Back to top Go down
DBFiveGirl
DBFiveGirl

Female
Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-09-25

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyFri 21 Jan 2011, 6:15 am

Hullo:)

Am beginning to get excited because today I just siphoned off the rest of $5,000 or so from savings that I need to pay for the operation so the cash is all just sitting there waiting for 13 May 2011 and my 12 month waiting period to be over. It may seem silly to set the money aside from other funds but it feels really symbolic for me.

I've also made my next appointment with Dr Kurzinkovas for 14 March 2011. As my partner is coming with me for this consult we made it for a day that is a public holiday here in Canberra so it means neither of us have to fuss about getting the day off work.

Before that consult in March I need to get the blood tests he gave me an order for in December done b (sooner rather than later too). I also need to see my GP and get him to write me a referral since I couldn't claim anything back from the first consult because I wasn't aware that I needed one.

From the appointment on 14 March I'm hoping to get a surgery date for as soon after 13 May 2011 as possible:).

Yah! If feels like things are finally moving:).

I must say though that my efforts to live of Optifast and Lite n' Easy meals have been a bit patchy. We've had quite a few social things on and well, I've been fairly relaxed with food. I also haven't gotten back into regular exercise yet either. Somebody slap me:)

K
xx
Back to top Go down
http://absolutelygutless.blogspot.com/
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyTue 18 Jan 2011, 5:35 am

Thank goodness for this forum! It's helping me stay focussed and sane during my wait for surgery.

I'm 3 1/2 months into my 12 months wait, woo hoo! It has gone quite fast, esp having the Holiday season to keep me busy.

I finally made my appointments with Dr France today, seeing him and Dr Nancarrow in March :) That will give me something to look forward to and plan for.

gemp285, looks like we will both be having our Sleeve's done in October :)
Back to top Go down
gemp285
gemp285

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Hi all   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyTue 18 Jan 2011, 4:14 am

Hi There,
I am also waiting for the time to tick over, I have considered surgery for about 12 months now but just got to the point where i thought if i dont do it now i won't be around to see my kids grow up, so here i am signed up for PHI through medibank private and am booked in for my first appointment on 27/01/11 then the wait until October sometime.
All the best to all of you and hope to keep intouch
Back to top Go down
prillbaby

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 7:40 am

Yeah, I've done lite n easy before for a few months & lost almost no weight. I didn't mind the food but found I just don't lose weight unless I stick to high protein & pref no carbs from luchtime onwards.

When I lost weight in the past I exercised like a maniac... actually gave up my job to have a final go at it before deciding on surgery but got sick & stopped & never got re-started since then. Now really stuck cos of foot problem, but just going to try my best until surgery is around the corner :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 7:14 am

I did not wait a year, as I am self-pay in the US. Thinking about how it would be if I did have to wait a year, I have these (untested) ideas.

1. Food diary
2. Become aware of what you eat
3. Slow down your intake
4. Learn about the protein content of food; you will need to shift to a protein oriented menu after the surgery, so you can practice now
5. Start the exercise regime now. I am a lousy one to say this, as I abhor exercise, but if you are in the habit now, you will return to it, and get to goal faster.

Hope this helps,

Zoe
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 6:51 am

Its great to get a head start with the weight loss before surgery.

I did Lite N Easy for 4 months while waiting for surgery, losing 16 kgs, then Optifast for 2 weeks, losing another 4 kgs, so when I was sleeved I had already lost 20 kgs, that I knew I would never put on again.

Good Luck with your journey.

How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 217555 How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 217555
Back to top Go down
DBFiveGirl
DBFiveGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 5:02 am

We're actually doing Optifast shakes for breakfast, then either an optifast bar or tuna salad type thing for lunch (partner doesn't mind the bar for lunch whereas I don't like them), and Light & Easy meal for dinner.

We started ordering the Light & Easy meals just before Xmas - just the dinners, and we actually quite like them. There's a far greater variety of meals than what you can buy in the way of frozen light meals from the supermarket. My partner doesn't need to lose weight but he's a fairly light eater at the best of times so hence he's happy for us to do it together. We both dint care for cooking during the working week so it suits us pretty well.
Back to top Go down
prillbaby

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 2:02 am

Hi DBF...

Yeah, my husband & I sat down to talk about what we'll do because he & I always do better when we plan together & then we can share meal making. I've done best on the CSIRO diet in the past (lost 33kg but unfotunately have gained heaps of that back... as usual) so we're planning to aim for that kind of diet but have a treat meal once a week, then as I get closer to op date start incorporating opti.

Unfortunately I'm really stuck for exercise options at the moment because I have a problem with the nerve in my foot, been ongoing for months with all kinds of attempts at treatment. So can't walk, wondering if I might be able to manage bike- swimming prob the best option but really don't want to do that at this stage.

The work thing is tricky, I'd really like about 6wks off... few days before op & then about 5wks after cos I know it will be a big adjustment & I can get pretty low (physically & emotionally). I will have only half that in annual leave as I haven't been with this company a long time so I'm going to get letter from Dr to help with asking for unpaid leave.

Good luck with yr job situation & lead up to op!
Back to top Go down
DBFiveGirl
DBFiveGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 02 Jan 2011, 12:10 am

prillbaby wrote:
Torn between wanting to eat/diet really well to get on track & also wanting to eat all of my favourite meals & try all the restaurants I'm interested in before I have such a little stomach

Prillbaby I know exactly what you mean. That exact thought has been with me many times these last couple of months. But I am now resolved to eating better and getting regular exercise between now and May.

As for telling work, mmm. There's a job I want to apply for, the selection process for which won't be finalised until mid March at earliest I reckon. If I'm successful and accept the role I need to think about giving notice and start dates. I figure that since I have a mass of personal leave at my current job that won't follow me to new role I intend to try and work things so that I give notice either durin time off for op or shortly after.
Back to top Go down
prillbaby

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 11:24 am

Hi There.

Lostgurl, I also had to wait 12mths. I took out Nib top cover ~$145mth. I'm in Melbourne & my surgeon is Dr Simon Woods at Cabrini. I am due for surgery on 21st April & both excited/nervous now that the New Year has begun & I really have to start preparing. Getting ready to ask for time off work.

Torn between wanting to eat/diet really well to get on track & also wanting to eat all of my favourite meals & try all the restaurants I'm interested in before I have such a little stomach.

Just joined forum as trying to get info on other poeples experience :)
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyTue 14 Dec 2010, 3:03 am

Hey Hello Realme ....

Hope your having Fun today at Oprah's show ........ What great whether ........ Anyway hopefully catch up soon ........ I'll be at Dr.Talbot tomorrow for Blood tests maybe see you .......what time are you going ....... SMS me on the mobile .....

From Lovelyslim .....
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyTue 14 Dec 2010, 2:59 am

Hey Miss Vicki .....

Wow 20 days down ..... How are you feeling .......

I'm hanging in there How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 697586 ....... Got heaps to Go .... How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 68366
Back to top Go down
realme
Part of the furniture
realme

Female
Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyWed 08 Dec 2010, 10:15 am

lovelyslim wrote:
....and for Therese and realme soon babes (i've met them) .....All the best ................... It's almost 2011 around the corner ...It will Go fast ...

Hi lovelyslim, its been a while, hope you are doing better now with everything so we can catch up soon. Im sure it will go fast, well for me around 14weeks and you know what? I have been ready for so long but Im starting to shit myself now!!! I know Im doing the right thing but my fears and the reality of the whole situation is getting the better of me! please tell me what Im feeling is normal!!!

Miss Vicki wrote:
I am now 20 days post-op and going ok...

Hi Miss Vicki! good to see your doing well, let us know when your well enough to catch up! xxx
Back to top Go down
Miss Vicki

Female
Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Not long to go!   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyTue 07 Dec 2010, 10:51 am

Hi Lovely

Not long to go, hang in there I no you can!!! How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 217555

I am now 20 days post-op and going ok....

Look forward to catching up real soon...
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyTue 07 Dec 2010, 10:15 am

Hello .Guys .. I tooooooooooo have a long time to wait ... 10months and 3 weeks How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 369315 till PHF kicks in .... I have already seem my Doctor and am ready for 1st Nov 2011 with Dr.Talbot in Sydney St.George private hospital ... I Am ready mentally ...... just need the money ........ But anyway heads UP ....... and i am so Happy for my friends that have done through surgery now .......... Can't wait ..........and for Therese and realme soon babes (i've met them) .....All the best ................... It's almost 2011 around the corner ...It will Go fast ...... How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 110673

from lovely

By the way i have single top cover called Young at heart with NIB paying $37 a week ..... (am married with 3 kids but not inclu in my PHF )
Back to top Go down
Kazz
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySat 04 Dec 2010, 11:31 am

Has it been a long 7 months for you so far DBFiveGirl? Youre on the second half of your wait now, 5 months to go, very exciting :)
Have to admire the Optifast diet you have put yourself on already. I did Optifast full time for 12 weeks under the guidence of a nutritionist a few years back so I could drop some weight quickly in preparation for getting pregnant, and WOW very hard time. Lost a decent amount of weight though, hehe.
Kudos to your supportive partner too.

I'm 2 months down, 10 more to go.... I am finding it dragging, but I just try to keep myself busy and not so focussed on wishing time away, I keep reminding myself to appreciate all I have now, my time will come. The time I have waiting is a great opportunity to learn more about the surgery, I agree with that. I pop on the forum when I can for a read, to keep the motivation up, and remind myself why I want to do it.
I havent made any apts yet, should get on to that, as I figure I'll aim to have an initial consult with the surgeon in Feb/March, and take things from there.

How is everyone else going with their wait for PHI?
Back to top Go down
DBFiveGirl
DBFiveGirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySat 04 Dec 2010, 5:34 am

Hey there

I've got 5 months to go of my 12 month wait. It's my own fault really. My partner suggested WLS back in January but with moving house and other things it took me until mid May this year to up my insurance. I was with NIB but was only covered if the surgeon would do the surgery in a public hospital. In other words, my cover was useless.

So I changed to AHM and took the highest cover they had. It's single cover as my partner stayed with his teachers union aligned mob. Not sure what it is weekly but it's $140 per month.

But I've got my first appointment on 13 Dec with the surgeon so will be interesting to see how excited I am after that.

My partner is doing optifast with me at the moment, just twice a day. And we'll probably keep doing that in some form or another until May. Not exercising though so am not losing very much.

I can understand the impatience. I feel it myself at times. I did consider the super option but really we can't justify it as I earn a good income and we do have savings. PHI is just the cheapest option so in the longer term it's the right one - for me at least.

I've been using the waiting time to read as much as I can on here and elsewhere on the net, and also watching YouTube vlogs of sleevers. It's also given me time to contemplate the reality of what having 2/3 of your stomach removed means for your relationship with food. It's something I'm obviously willing to give up but I also recognise that there will be times afterwards where my brain's relationship with food takes time to fall into line with the reality of a sleeved stomach.

At the end of the day it's permanent and quite radical surgery that shouldn't be rushed into. So in that sense it's probably in our interests that it's isn't readily accessible surgery from a financial perspective.

xx
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyFri 12 Nov 2010, 10:57 am

THANKS for your support ....... It's now 49 weeks and 2 days... getting there How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 369315 ..... I tell you if i had the money i would do it tomorrow ..in a flash ... but not to worry my time will come soon How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 542174 How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 65317 ...........

i have had a bad few days over EATing everything i see....... D'oh How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 302927

Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2010, 7:54 pm

Hi Lovelyslim
Congratulations - you are on the way!!
Just keep getting on the site and reading up - keep motivated and share the real life adventures of all these incredible people who are sharing it all with us.
And I agree with Tempest - those who have to wait are just so committed - you will achieve it believe me!

Best wishes
Loz
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyWed 10 Nov 2010, 8:14 am

I can't tell you how much I admire all the girls that have to wait for PHI to kick in.
Seriously, that really shows commitment, so glad that you hang out here and chat rather than disappear.

And every day the time gets closer and closer.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 07 Nov 2010, 12:49 pm

Hey hello Realme .....

I am so so so happy for you Girlfriend your getting closer now ...... and i must thank you a millon for all the advice and keeping on my back ....... Thanks for the phone calls .....i'm so greatfull ........ Hopefully lets do lunch again soon .......

Hugs How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 217555

From Lovelyslim ......
Back to top Go down
realme
Part of the furniture
realme

Female
Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 07 Nov 2010, 10:49 am

Hey lovelyslim thats sooooo great, Im very happy for you!
Something funny to share with you all, I had a dream the other night that I had 2 weeks to go and I had to start optifast and I was panicking!!!! but in a good way haha......then I woke up : (
Oh well, 4 months and counting ; )
Back to top Go down
lovelyslim
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptySun 07 Nov 2010, 7:42 am

Hey Sleevers waiting 50weeks for PHI to cover the surgery ....... stay in touch ..........

Cheers from Lovelyslim
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 EmptyWed 03 Nov 2010, 1:02 am

lovelyslim, I have the same cover and everything went very smoothly - good choice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How will I get through the next 51 weeks?   How will I get through the next 51 weeks? - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

How will I get through the next 51 weeks?
Page 14 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next