10 posters
AuthorMessage
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-07-29

Help scared (of dietician) Empty
PostSubject: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 4:11 am

Thankyou everyone for you words of support, they have gone a long way to reasurring me that I am doing the right things and that I am not in danger of doing damage unaware!!
Help scared (of dietician) 217555 Help scared (of dietician) 217555 Help scared (of dietician) 217555 Help scared (of dietician) 217555 Help scared (of dietician) 217555 Help scared (of dietician) 217555 Help scared (of dietician) 217555 Help scared (of dietician) 217555
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 7:36 am

yep my surgeon said if you have a leak you will feel like crap, you won't wonder if you are feeling unwell, you WILL feel bad
Back to top Go down
Carly
Carly

Female
Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 6:47 am

Hi sorry it's taken a while to get back to you.

The signs were: feeling generally unwell,
stomach pain,
* hot and cold sweats *
* flushing * (red flushing in the face like a light bulb)

I think this was about all of them.
Back to top Go down
NQGIRL *Jan
NQGIRL *Jan

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 8:54 pm

Carly wrote:
I personally think you would know if you had a leak as my surgeon told me all the signs to look for and to get my but back straight away!

What are the signs of a leak???
Back to top Go down
Carly
Carly

Female
Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 1:34 pm

OMG what a scary women! Hopes it's not my dietician!!!!
I would be absolutely beside myself being told that. I was told that my staple line was bleeding alot during surgery so Doc had to spend quite a while sewing as well. Being told that really was a catch 22. My first thoughts was omg, it's going to be prone to a leak now because he couldn't close it properly. My 2nd thought was, well it should be ok now as it is now overlocked, if you know what i mean.
I personally think you would know if you had a leak as my surgeon told me all the signs to look for and to get my but back straight away! We have all done too much research into this to do anything silly. Go back on the fluids for the two days just to keep her happy.
Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 11:03 am

Wow, poor thing! As if post surgery recovery isn't daunting enough without fake horror stories of bursting stomachs doing the rounds!!
My dietician has been really supportive and very sensible with her recommendations for me. I too started on each phase a couple of days ahead of schedule, and my dietician told me that the guidelines given are simply that ... guidelines. I think so long as you aren't attempting to gnaw your way through a t-bone steak in this early stage, and you continue to be mindful, you'll be fine. Common sense goes a lot further than pages and pages of dietician's notes sometimes!
Best of luck with future dealings!
Back to top Go down
janelou29
Part of the furniture
janelou29

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 10:03 am

I'd jsut take it with a grain of salt, my doc said 2 weeks and no leaks and you are pretty much home and hosed, so you can relax. And my Doctor also said if you have a leak 'you'll know it!'

It's funny we all have dieticans with different veiws, just go easy, follow the soft foods and don't overeat (which you are not) and don't get too stressed about it all.

I think if I followed a dieticans advice I would not have needed the sleeve, and lets be honest here, unless you have had the sleeve you really don't know what it feels like, and how you can go from empty to full (or from 0 - 10) in 1 teaspoon, only a sleever knows this feeling!!!
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 5:46 am

Her information would've scared me!

I'm not a fan of my dietician at all. My pre-surgery visit consisted of a lecture about what I had been doing wrong. Seriously, I might be fat but I am not a complete idiot ... why did she think I was there and seeking surgery. She seemed more determined to point out the errors of my way rather than inform me of the diet side of surgery - as she should have been doing.

I've been for two follow up appointments with her, as I am meant to do and I am still being lectured. I am slow but I have learnt, no matter what I am eating or what I am doing I will just tell her what she wants to hear - I don't need the guilt she is handing out. The surgeon also has a clinical nurse on staff who has had both the band and the sleeve surgery herself ... I will be making an appointment with her with my next dietician appointment so I can get some real information without the lecture and extra serving of guilt the dietician hands out.

Listen to your body, believe me it will tell you if you are doing something wrong. Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and maybe when you see the dietician, unless you feel you really have to - smile and nod in the appropriate places.

Cheers,

Alison.
Back to top Go down
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female

PostSubject: Help scared (of dietician)    Help scared (of dietician) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 4:56 am

I have a follow up apointment with the surgeon on the 23/9 so I will be asking his opinion of what I have been told just to put my own mind at rest and to also let him know about the type of information she is giving out Help scared (of dietician) 595690
As it deffinately scared me
Back to top Go down
neljatye
Part of the furniture
neljatye

Female
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 12:46 am

I think every dietician is different and some even clash with what the surgeon advises....figure that one out...lol...even the ones connected to the surgeons themselves.....i was on fluids for the 4 days in hosp then moved onto thin purees once out of hospital.....spoke to dietician after few weeks and she said puree 2 more weeks then onto soft for 2 then onto normal......saw the surgeon 2 days later and he said he was happy for me to move on to anything at my own pace......have not looked back since.....he also disagreed with a few other thing she had said and mumbled at one stage "What is she doing i will have to have a talk to her" Listen to your body and how you feel...and take it from there...good luck freedom2bme...
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 4:48 pm

If you burst your stomach, you'll know.
Back to top Go down
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female

PostSubject: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 2:58 pm

thankyou for getting back to me so fast I have gone back onto the liquids for the weekend and will be moving to the puree/mushy monday morning, am just scared that i could over do it and burst my stomache and not know because there will be no pain. Boggled
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 2:51 pm

if what she said was correct we would be knee deep in the forum in dead bodies frim burst stomachs hehe. The general reason for the liquids ONLY stage is incase you have a leak. leaks dont deveop from food be they acid or other wise they occur at the time of surgery. Now every surgeon has his own point in time where he considers the risk of a leak showing itself. they can take upto about 2 weeks to show if tiny. the liquid stage minumises the rubbish that can leak into you body. reducing the risk of infection.

So yes 2 days can make a difference in an individual surgeons margin for safety. But I soo would not have a panic attack over what you have done. Just do what she wants for a couple moew days.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
freedom2Bme
freedom2Bme

Female

PostSubject: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 2:37 pm

I went for my appointment post op with the dietician on friday and it has been bugging me ever since Help scared (of dietician) 697586 or should I say scaring me !!
I am 13 days post op today and had the check up on friday dietician asked me what I had been doing diet wise since the op I thought hey I'll be honest, I said I had been on runny/smooth liquids since op but had progress to sloppy smooth puree in the last 2days this is very runny prridge and pureed foods that I would normaly eat with a little extra moisture added to keep things at a thick custard or yoghurt consistancy I told her I had been having only 3-4 table spoons at any one time and had been eating with a teaspoon very slowly with no pain and quiet comfortably Help scared (of dietician) 120705 (I though this was good)
Well she freaked at me told me that I could burst my stomach open and that I wouldnt even know that I had done to much untill it was too late not to mention that my stomach should be kept acid free for the next six weeks to stop the acids from eroding the stomach from around the stapled areas??, WHAT THE HELL!!!! Help scared (of dietician) 878453

I re-iterated that I had only been having the food at my meal times and had only been "eating" slurping around 3-4 table spoons at a time and had eaten very slowly and had had no pain so thought I was fine because surely if I had over done it I would have pain and she said "No" by the time you have pain it is too late!!
she told me to go back to strained soups /broth for the weekend and then to start puree/mashed baby food on monday!

My problems with this are
1 what the heck difference is two days gona make?
2 If it was that easy to burst the stomach open why didnt my surgeon tell me?
3 whats to stop me bursting my new stomach open at any time if I accidently over eat at this new stage?
4 surely the stomach has always got acid in it so whats to stop the acids eating the stomach away around the surgery site at any time over the next 6 weeks?
5 Who else thinks she is full of you know what and how seriously do you think I should take her? as surely if there was a problem/ or I had done any type of damage I would have some type of ongoing pain?

Any feed back you can give espcialy on what your dieticians have advised/scared you with would be very appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help scared (of dietician)   Help scared (of dietician) Empty

Back to top Go down

Help scared (of dietician)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: