AuthorMessage
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptyWed 15 Sep 2010, 10:54 pm

I used to get sharp/stinging right shoulder tip pain when eating when I had the band. It was from pressure on the phrenic nerve under the diaphragm from my oesphagus dilating, thanks to the band being too tight. As soon as the band was removed the shoulder pain was gone.

The phrenic nerves run from vertebrae in the neck down either side of the heart through the diaphragm and along underneath the diaphragm. Irritation of the nerve can cause hiccoughs and the referred shoulder tip pain. Hence the shoulder tip pain after surgery from the gas expanding our abdo cavity & putting a bit of pressure on the diaphragm and hiccoughs or shoulder tip pain when capacity is reached when eating. Most people get left shoulder tip pain,. some get right shoulder tip pain.

Mind you not everyone experiences this and it does settle down.
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 11:02 am

Hmmmm ... might have to pay a visit to the GP to have this right shoulder pain checked out. Am sure it's nothing, but better to be safe than sorry. And here I was thinking it was a weird side-effect of sleeved life!
Many thanks for the advice.
Carah
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptyTue 14 Sep 2010, 1:36 am

Def usually gallbladder pain that gets referred to right scapula.
Back to top Go down
Rhonda
Rhonda

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 11:58 am

Dont' know if this will help

When I went to see the diatition she explained that we have a set of nerves that run under the bust area that effect the sholder and left arm, and these nerves may be moved during surgery. But if you are unlucky enough to have the pain it will eventually go away.
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 11:15 am

It's more likely to be gallstones on the right side, Cartay...
Back to top Go down
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 11:08 am

I've notice a pain in my shoulder also after eating a bit too much ... but for me it's on the right. Is my body back-to-front?? Or could this be totally unrelated?
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 10:00 am

A few people still get that gas pain for a month or two after surgery in milder amounts. It is not common but there have been people who have said the same thing. All of them found it did evenutally go away.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 9:29 am

applesauce

Sometimes i even get the shoulder pain when im not eating. I havent eaten for over 5 hours and its still there a little
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 7:14 am

heavens no you are not stretching it. It really is 1 or 2 teaspoon size bites to much. now if you where in extreme pain and vomiting after each meal you would then think hmmm might I be stretching.
now having said that nobody should worry or freak out if they have pushed to far and vomited a few times. I am talking a consistant force eating and vomitin over extended periods.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 7:03 am

God im not stretching it am I?

I stop as soon as i feel any pain.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 5:30 am

I'm 6 weeks out and definitely get the left shoulder blade pain when I am full (or probably one spoon too full). Thought I was imagining it but it's definitely there.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 5:24 am

The full signal is more a went to far signal. the shoulder pain is a refered pain from a nerve under your stomach. It is the same one that can be triggered from the gas they pump into you during surgery.

The best way to prevent these is to slow right down with your eating. Tiny bites and put the spoon down between bites. Do not worry this is not a forever thing it is just to give you a chance to notice signs earlier before they become unpleasant. Some people get the hang of this in a matter of a few weeks others can take a few months. Once you have worked it out you can go back to eating normally. Just alway know the be careful sign and slow right down.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Eating troubles   Eating troubles EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 4:13 am

Hi guys

I just made myself some fish in cheese sauce (a frozen one from the supermarket). It made 1/2 a cup on its own so i just thought i would see how i go with that.

I had about 1/2 of it and ive noticed lately that when i eat now, i get a pain in the tip of my shoulder, as well as feeling a bit off and weird for a while.

My nose runs, i need to sneeze. I take this as my full signals and obviously i stop. But the shoulder pain is really uncomfortable.

What is it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eating troubles Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating troubles   Eating troubles Empty

Back to top Go down

Eating troubles
Page 1 of 1