AuthorMessage
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

Im so sick of the assumptions! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010, 2:57 pm

Gail, you are far too funny!! That is a classic! I work with lots of big burly construction types so that would go down a treat

Im so sick of the assumptions! 314562
Back to top Go down
Joyla
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 1:36 am

Oh dear Gail - I'm laughing so hard I can barely type
Back to top Go down
realme
Part of the furniture
realme

Female
Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 1:26 am

Haha good one Gail, bloody hilarious!

Im so sick of the assumptions! 446871
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptySun 12 Sep 2010, 12:09 am

rofl gail - love it!
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 11:41 pm

Hey Buck,
Don't feel guilty, this is very different for all of us.
You handle it the best way for you because only you know about the people around you.

I just had the second surgery and I am pretty sick of people asking me about that so I just said "oh a little more Gender Reassignment work ". Should have seen the look on their face LOL

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Buck

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 1:54 pm

I still haven't told many people about the sleeve.....

i was at a wedding the other weekend and a lady come up to me and was asking me about my weightloss....and the first thing she said was ........did you get that rubber band thing op done

and i said no...........which is true.....i just didn't tell her the true story.........i did kind of feel guilty thou.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptySat 11 Sep 2010, 10:52 am

I always tell everyone, I want everyone to have the opportunity that I have had.
I don't want anyone making the mistake and thinking that I got this way with a lapband.

My sister was the worst offender and when I would correct her she would just say "well you know what I mean"
The last time I lost the freakin plot and told her that if she didn't get it right then I would slap her if she told people the wrong thing.
I explained to her that if she was telling people incorrect information and they got a lapband and it failed she would be to blame.
I ranted at her for about 30 minutes and then wrote it down for her and said if you can't remember show people this.

I hate that the lapband is a multi billion dollar industry and that has nothing to do with health and now so much to do with money.
Sorry I am not against anyone who has a band just the company and doctors that make so much money out of it.

Hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
antsinpants
Part of the furniture
antsinpants

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 11:26 am

Yep, I know what you mean... but as the others say - 1- get used to it!!! and 2- use it as a way to educate....

I know I've had the same response from the people I've told.. but they have been good and asked lots of questions and I've been able to talk to them about it...
Back to top Go down
tamayles
Part of the furniture
tamayles

Female
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 10:46 am

That is one of the main reasons I tell everyone about my surgery now.

I live in a country town and people are just going to gossip, so I thought they might as well all know the truth and if they are going to gossip about me, then they can talk about how I had something different....NOT a lapband
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 9:28 am

I know the lap band is pushed to death.

Even when I went to my GP for my referral to my surgeon, and said I was looking to have obesity surgery, he said "oh a lap band?". GRRR!

I guess im frustrated in my circle of friends that Ive explained it to- still go and call it a lap band.

How the hell can i have a lap band on 1/3 of a stomach!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 8:53 am

I just give up hehehe Even my sister can not keep it straight in her head she told the waitress the other day when she tried to give me extras that I wouldnt finish what I had because I had a lapband. For the first 2 years she told people a bypass *LOL*

Only if people are interested do I explain what it is. As in ask back "oh you had a lapband" do I then explain nope a sleeve.

You have to remember that bit of plastic as in the lapband is worth millions of dollars it gets advertised to death. Ever half assed doctor out there can do them these days and even those doing the sleeve you have to be careful off as they have incentives to do bands over sleeves and push them. the lies out there are just ridiculious. I heard of one of the so called leading band surgeons who also does sleeves told one of his patients that NO deaths from lapbands had ever happened in australia. It is an out and out lie. One this surgeon KNOWS full well is a lie. There is no way on this planet somebody known for having done over 3000 of them wouldnt know about the deaths.

This is life in Australia it is like life in the USA they all thing RNY bypass when you say weight loss surgery. The average person thinks it is the be all and end all of weight loss surgery. Like the band it is a lving nightmare with HUGE numbers of failures. But every hack surgeon can do them.

Getting the sleeve message out there is hard.
I make sure that those looking at weight loss surgery who find their way to the lapband forums thinking it is the ONLY weight loss surgery know about the sleeve. It is my way of helping.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 8:09 am

Don't forget though, a lot of people haven't even heard of the gastric sleeve. I hadn't and I thought i was up on all the weight loss surgery.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 6:54 am

Oh yeah,I hear you too!
I just take the opportunity to educate them, if I'm in the mood - if not, I just say that the band wasn't for me and I had something different.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! EmptyFri 10 Sep 2010, 6:45 am

I am SO over people ASSUMING that the weight loss surgery ive had was a lap band. Im so sick of the assumptions! 716201

I am SO against lap bands I cant believe people just jump to conclusions and think all Ive had is a lap band. Im not taking anything away from people who chose to have a lap band, its just completely not for me.

It just makes me angry!!!

Its not a freakin lap band people! Its a SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY! GRRRRRRRRRR

Im so sick of the assumptions! 833762 Im so sick of the assumptions! 833762 Im so sick of the assumptions! 833762 Im so sick of the assumptions! 833762 Im so sick of the assumptions! 833762 Im so sick of the assumptions! 833762
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im so sick of the assumptions!   Im so sick of the assumptions! Empty

Back to top Go down

Im so sick of the assumptions!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: