AuthorMessage
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyTue 01 Feb 2011, 9:51 pm

Fantastic news - only a week to go!
Back to top Go down
shopgirl
shopgirl

Female
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: surgery booked...   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyTue 01 Feb 2011, 8:08 pm

Well all tests are done and ready to go ahead so far.....
9th February my sleeve will be done....cant wait...x
Back to top Go down
MrsSea

Female
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyTue 18 Jan 2011, 3:23 pm

shopgirl, do it!!

I had a band for almost 3 years. Biggest PITA at the end.
I had my band taken out in July and the sleeve done in November.
Best. Thing. Ever.

My recovery was long, it was rough but the sleeve is so different from the band. I can eat anything and everything just in smaller doses. It's great.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyMon 17 Jan 2011, 11:17 am

I saw my surgeon today, as a support person to my friend who is being sleeved. He doesn't do the band anymore. He prefers the sleeve, because the recurrent issues that banders have long term.
Back to top Go down
shopgirl
shopgirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyMon 17 Jan 2011, 10:56 am

Thanks to all you lovelys that have sent through your stories and support...greatly appreciated...
Am pretty sure am going to go through with the sleeve surgeory...have an appointment this friday to see surgeon for 4 month post op check up after the band removal and can assess to see weather I can progress onto the next stage...xxx
Nervous but excited and looking forward to finding out what direction I am headed...
Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x 595690 will keep you posted...x
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 12:49 pm

sharlene wrote:
i also was banded in 2004 and had band removed in 2005 as it was not working got hole in it so it was replaced with another band. Had that band removed in 2007 september it had eroded l was in hospital for 3 weeks l was so sick. I then got the sleeve in 2007 december my stomach took a long time to settle l was in hospital for 1 week after sleeve done. I still have trouble eating somethings but would do it again l am sick at least 3 days a week. I have lost a lot of weight l went from 122 kilos down to 72 kilos

I wonder if your troubles have been from past damage from the band?
I've never heard of a longtermer not being able to eat some things. I know lots have difficulty early on, but not long term. You poor bugger!
Back to top Go down
sharlene

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-12-29

PostSubject: banding to sleeve   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptySat 01 Jan 2011, 11:01 am

i also was banded in 2004 and had band removed in 2005 as it was not working got hole in it so it was replaced with another band. Had that band removed in 2007 september it had eroded l was in hospital for 3 weeks l was so sick. I then got the sleeve in 2007 december my stomach took a long time to settle l was in hospital for 1 week after sleeve done. I still have trouble eating somethings but would do it again l am sick at least 3 days a week. I have lost a lot of weight l went from 122 kilos down to 72 kilos
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 9:09 pm

Hi Shopgirl
I am a newly sleeved ex-bander.
I had a band in 2000, had it for 10 years until July this year - when I had finally had enough of it.
I did not have great success with the band because I could just never find that right fill amount - and I suffered oesophageal ulceration due to the band being too tight. Anyway, after all those years, I finally gave up the fight and decided to just have it removed. It was only when I made that decision that my surgeon suggested the sleeve, because I was so afraid of being without the security of the band. (and I was still obese).

So, once I found this site, and went to a couple of meet-ups with wonderful people who gave me the real information about life with the sleeve - which my doctor recommended - I was convinced to go through with it. Doctor recommended at least 3 months between band removal then being sleeved - and I am glad he did. Gave me time to heal a bit from the band, and gave him a chance to see how my band was inside me etc. HOWEVER, in that three months, I did gain 5 kgs, even though I was watching my eating very carefully. I did tend to make the most of being "free". So, by the time my sleeve surgery date came around, and I had done 2 weeks of optifast, I was at the same weight as when I was banded 10 years earlier.

The sleeve surgery was on Oct 18, so I am only 3 weeks sleeved. In that time, I have lost weight (8kgs), I am recovering very well, and I am still on the post-op diet - starting mushy foods today. I have been out for dinner twice since being sleeved, and could sit around with everyone else eating yummy food and me just tasting the sauces, and eating my yoghurt.

I know that in the early days after surgery, probably for the first few months, eating bread is not a great idea - but I have already pureed up a beautiful steak and totally enjoyed it - and I know I will be able to eat more foods than I could with the sleeve. However, again, the sleeve still requires healthy food options - but keep reading this site and you will find out so much more.

I say go for it - but give your body the best chance for it too.
Best wishes
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
thankana
Part of the furniture
thankana

Female
Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptySat 06 Nov 2010, 8:51 am

Hi Shopgirl

I spent two years deciding whether to have a band or a sleeve and even joined a banders support group with a few sleevers. Getting a sleeve is one of the best things I have ever done in my life. A few women in the banders support group have said if they knew about the sleeve they wld have gone for that option. Just read around good info on here and good luck on your journey.

Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x 217555
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyThu 09 Sep 2010, 2:11 am

Hi Shopgirl. I never had the band, so I can't help you much. But have a read around... there's so much info! I was supposed to have a band this year, but after visiting this site I decided to go for the sleeve instead. Best decision ever... the sleeve rocks!
Back to top Go down
ladybugaboo

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyWed 08 Sep 2010, 10:49 am

Hi Shopgirl,

I'm sorry I can't help in relation to band to sleeve - I am contemplating the same decision myself. But just wanted to let you know that this forum is great for information! I was told by my surgeon that if I was to go down the sleeve option that I would have the band removed and then I would have to wait for 3 months for the sleeve. During this time I could possibly put some weight on or at best, maintain my current weight. I am guessing that I will need to do the 2 weeks of optifast prior to the next operation as well. From what I have read, the sleeve is quite similar to the band in that it restricts the AMOUNT of food you can eat but with the sleeve it does not restrict the TYPE of food you can eat - so for example with me I find it difficult to eat steak and bread - with the sleeve this would be no problem...the portion would just be smaller. I hope that has been of some help but I am sure that there are others on here that will be able to give you more information.

Cheers,
Lady B
Back to top Go down
shopgirl
shopgirl

Female

PostSubject: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x EmptyWed 08 Sep 2010, 12:37 am

Hi
I had Lapband surgery 5 years ago and have successfully lost 30kg however over the last 2-4 months have regained 8kgs after being stable at my weight for 2 years and yesterday found out that my band has eroded. I am booked in to see surgeon next week on Monday to book in and have my band removed. I feel like my security blanket has been ripped out underneath me. I briefly asked what options were infront of me and he said removal, healing and possible sleeve. I know very little about gastric sleeve and would be grateful to anyone that can share their experiences with me, particularly anyone who had a lapband first and the differences between the two..... feeling scared at the thought of gaining the weight again and if I hear another person say "well you will just have to watch what you eat and exercise........." If it was that simple I wouldn't of had Lapband in the first place would I....at least I know here there are people that will understand my fears and concerns....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x   Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x Empty

Back to top Go down

Lapband eroded after 5 years maybe sleeve...thoughts please...x
Page 1 of 1