AuthorMessage
hazelbaby
Part of the furniture
hazelbaby

Female
Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2011-08-20

Iron Deficiency / Anemia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyFri 20 Jan 2012, 9:38 pm

Hi all,
I have low iron too, 13 at my last lot of bloods. My drs gatekeeper doctor recommended a liquid iron supplement called Floridex (spelling?). It has vitamin b's and c and some other herbs. It doesn't taste too bad and doesn't upset the tummy. I took FAB tablets when I was pregnant with my boys and it was great too, no tummy problems either. The doctor says the liquid has only slightly more iron than the liquid, which is quite expensive, so I will go back to FAB when the liquid is finished
Back to top Go down
sabarka
sabarka

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptySun 15 Jan 2012, 9:00 am

Last time my iron levels were low I pleaded for some iron injections.... as I was desperately tired....my GP told me that they would be useless to me as it was my stores that were low and I just had to rely on the tablets....

I am actually with another GP at the moment because my other doctor is not in town... it was this GP that had a heart attack when he saw my iron levels and send me for a battery of iron tests...results hopefully back this week....

Have also had my usual 6 monthly tests for Dr Harrison as I was supposed to see Tracey this Tuesday ( she is away though) so hopefully I will find out what these results are from my GP or Tracey was going to let Jocelyn (my dietician) know if there were any anomolies.... as I am still seeing her on Tuesday.

I have started back on the iron tablets... the last three days... taking 2 a day for now until I feel better.

Leanne
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 3:17 am

My iron is low post op as well, my doctor has put me on Ferro-Gradumet.. Which to my understanding you can also buy over the counter (which I ended up doing, as it was cheaper than getting it on the script the dr wrote out??).

I don't know what my levels are yet, I've only been taking them for a week.. But it's having the opposite effect on me.. DEFINATELY not constipated!!
Back to top Go down
brutal

Female
Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2011-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptySat 14 Jan 2012, 12:15 am

Try Spatone iron supplement, it is sachets of highly mineralized water that is natural and clinically Proven to have higher absorption with no constipation. They are pricey but I save a little at chemist warehouse. You take them in a little juice or cordial, oj is good as vit c boosts iron absorption.
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 7:49 am

I know iron tabs are not fun to take, but following my last round of plastic surgery, my Hb was only 80.

I was put on 2 Ferro Grad C tabs daily and over the past 3 weeks my Hb has gone up to 115, which is a great improvement.

So iron tabs do work, now reduced to 1 daily until I finish my second bottle.

I am just eating tons of fibre...........LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
Kate
Top Poster
Top Poster
Kate

Female
Number of posts : 2162
Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 7:26 am

You can get iron injections and they usually do B12 injections with it. Maybe have a chat to your GP about it. When my daughter was having them it was once a month.
Back to top Go down
sabarka
sabarka

Female
Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: How have people dealt with iron decifiency.   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyFri 13 Jan 2012, 3:55 am

I have been low in iron all my life but since sleeving my iron levels have dropped significantly. I am now anaemic... and my stores are very low. Haemoglobin level 105 at last test ( normal 120-150) I have had other counts done but can't remember the levels... I know a previous iron level was 8.... below normal ..think it's mimimum should be 15... I do eat red meat and have now started back on iron tablets.... but they make me terribly constipated and therefore create more problems.

Leanne
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyTue 05 Oct 2010, 12:31 pm

Hi Issi...

I've not yet had any problems re iron deficieny post sleeve... BUT had some big problems in one of my four pregnancies... which required iron injections every second day for quite a few weeks...only one of them was that bad...and have never needed the injections before or since... sio it can be a result of the pregnancy rather than the sleeve...

good luck

s
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 2:03 am

Had my 12 month bloods done and my iron is fine. Only thing I am slight dificient in is vit D.
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm

I had been iron deficient a little prior to sleeving and post sleeve the iron levels dropped significantly. My doctor wondered how I was able to function. Was referred to a hematologist who initially put me on iron supplements which didnt work. Was then scheduled to an iron infusion (which took 5 hours) and that seemed to fix it.

That was about 5 months ago now and I will be soon going to my gp to have full bloods done. Hopefully the levels are still up. I feel good so I am taking that as a good indicator.

B

acupuncture
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptySat 18 Sep 2010, 4:55 am

Just an update on this - i've had 3 weeks of iron shots in my bottom now and my iron tests have come back even worse I don't even know how that is possible! I am keeping on soldiering on with the injections though, if it dosn't get better i'll have to have infusions at the hospital.
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyThu 26 Aug 2010, 9:04 am

Yes I was Iron deficient post surgery for a while and went on iron supplements. At 12 month follow up my iron storage levels were normal so was told I no longer needed the supplement. It is now almost 2 years and I have not been tested again, but yes need to keep an eye on things but will just get tested with my regular gp and if levels down again will go back on supplments. You should not take iron supplements once levels are normal because iron can build up in your system and become toxic, supplements should only be taken while your iron stores are deficient, hence the need for blood tests to check.
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyThu 26 Aug 2010, 7:46 am

I will be following this with interest. I just today had my bloods done for suposed to be 12 months post op but as I have been feeling really tired wanted to get them done early. I have never had a problem with low iron even during pregnacy so will be interesting to see what my results come back like. Will let you know.
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia EmptyThu 26 Aug 2010, 7:20 am

If you have been tested and confirmed iron deficiency / anemia since being sleeved how long did it take you go get back to normal? Were you ever (after being confirmed by test as deficient) then able to go on and end up eating enough iron rich food to maintain iron levels without supplements or injections?

Specifically interested in peoples experiences that have been confirmed as iron deficient not people that have been able to keep their levels stable without ever registering deficient. I understand many people never have an issue at all... but i'm wanting to find out about people that have got past having iron issues. Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iron Deficiency / Anemia   Iron Deficiency / Anemia Empty

Back to top Go down

Iron Deficiency / Anemia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: Guys, Girls & Relationships :: Secret Women's Business-
Jump to: