Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 2:51 pm

issi wrote:
Minnie i've had the sleeve for 7.5 months. The bypass is an option but is another major surgery and another big cost. I wish I had chosen the bypass instead of sleeve rather than having to have all 3 surgeries - the probelm was I didnt' find any people in my situation before I chose the surgery, but have met heaps since and none of them spoke up - so I thought I should be one to speak up so more people don't make an uninformed choice.

Can you please explain what exactly what your situation was/is as you aren't really saying, therefore people still cant make an informed choice.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 1:05 pm

issi you can want what you want but judging a surgery bad because you dont get results the surgery was never intended or designed for is like buying that size 10 pair of jeans and expecting them to fit because it is what you want when you are a size 14.

if you have such a serious heat condition that a bmi of about 27 wouldnt help I would think it would be something that would prevent a surgeon doing a bypass considering the added risks. I am shocked any surgeon did a sleeve as just about all surgeons refuse to do sleeves on those with such serious heart conditions.

applesaauce
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 12:37 pm

Quote :
Yes - I wish I got the bypass, if you were successful with your band and
then had an erosion or something like that you'll never feel the same
with a sleeve and it's a lot harder to keep the weight off - you can get
it off, but you can gain it back just as easy. Once youve had a band
if you were succesful with it it's hard to feel as succesful with the
sleeve. If you have an unsuccesful band or start with a sleeve the
odds are a lot better that your sleeve will be very successful.

Issi... where did you get this information from... as I find it to be incorrect....... I don't think I have ever heard/read that anyone said that it is harder to keep the weight off with the sleeve....whether they have had the band or not. A lot of people were told by their surgeon's that the sleeve is a tool, you will most probably lose most of your weight with the sleeve without too much work, but the last 10kg or so you will have to work at it. I also don't believe that it would be easy to gain weight also. You would have to work damn hard to put on the weight you lost.... real hard.

I also don't understand what you mean when you said - you'll never feel the same
with a sleeve? Are you trying to say that once you have lost weight with the band and then go straight for a sleeve, it would be useless... if so, I also disagree with that, as personally I don't like the band at all, there are too many complications with the band etc etc. If people have lost weight with the band, get the band out for whatever reason, to have a sleeve they would probably have to wait until they had put all of their weight back on before they could be considered to have the sleeve. I think this is ridiculous and feel having the sleeve straight away would enable them to control their weight ie not put it back on. Unfortunately to have the sleeve your bmi needs to be over 35 or have comorbidities like heart condition, diabetes etc....

Yes I agree this is a forum has a lot of different opinions on here but that is the beauty of it... plenty of opinions and options!
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 12:08 pm

At a bmi of 30 I have a bad heart. Where the hell did you see size 10? Not everybody has a heart that will cope being 26kg overweight. That's why it's called a healthy bmi because a lot if people need that weight range to function properly. It's not cosmetic or vanity. Some people need a procedure to help other medical conditions.

I was answering the question honestly,
I didn't realise you had gone from band to sleeve - I thought that was the point of this forum. Not much point in having a procedure that has a very low success rate post band if you've been successful with band... People want honest opinions not to be flooded with info that is irrelevant to their question. I find that the mist frustrating part about having multiple forum sections to try and get relevant info from people that have been in the relevant situation without a whole lot of judgement.

Back to top Go down
minnie

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-08-27

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 11:16 am

Applesauce, good reality check.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 10:42 am

the reality is the sleeve is a serious surgery to save the life of morbidly obese people. it never has been and never will be designed to make ones ass look good in a size 10 pair of jeans. It is about being alive and in a lot better health. etting goal of bmi 22 or anything like that and expecting the sleeve to get you there or keep you there is unrealistic. Sure a few people just fluke it and cruise there and stay but that is not the reality of the surgery so anybody selling that dream is selling a lie for the vast majority.

Reality is the sleeve will get most 10 to 15kg above a realistic goal and that approx 5 to 10kg will be a reality in the regain stakes as bad habbits take the place of good ones.

Now if you are one of the tiny minority or prepared to work hard and maintain that work you and NOT the sleeve will give you that size 10 ass. Just dont ever go into this surgery thinking it is a secret size 10 maker when that is crap for the majority.

this is NOT cosmedic surgery.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 8:56 am

Minnie i've had the sleeve for 7.5 months. The bypass is an option but is another major surgery and another big cost. I wish I had chosen the bypass instead of sleeve rather than having to have all 3 surgeries - the probelm was I didnt' find any people in my situation before I chose the surgery, but have met heaps since and none of them spoke up - so I thought I should be one to speak up so more people don't make an uninformed choice.
Back to top Go down
minnie

Female

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 8:18 am

Hi Again Issi,
Also couldn't you get the Bypass later on, if you were unhappy with the Sleeve. My Doctor said the Sleeve used to be the 1st stage of a Bypass, only now they do it as a stand alone surgery.

Minnie
Back to top Go down
minnie

Female

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 8:00 am

Hi Issi,
I found what you said very interesting. I had a Band for 9 years and was very successful with it for 8 of those years. Found the restriction enormous, however the trade-off was the great weight loss. I didn't care that I couldn't eat a lot foods as I felt fantastic.

Had a sleeve done 3 months ago and have so far put on 3kg's. My Doctor and Dietician are not concerned and say time will tell and I am to enjoy my new found freedom (within the boundaries of the sleeve of course). So I am eating super healthy (had 2 months of eating anything I felt like) now and haven't budged an ounce in 4 weeks.

I love eating more normal, definately believe it is a healthier option than the restrictions of the Band, but can see that weight loss is now going to be an issue for me, whereas with the Band it just came off...

How long ago were you sleeved?
Minnie
Back to top Go down
issi
Part of the furniture

Female

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyTue 31 Aug 2010, 7:38 am

Yes - I wish I got the bypass, if you were successful with your band and then had an erosion or something like that you'll never feel the same with a sleeve and it's a lot harder to keep the weight off - you can get it off, but you can gain it back just as easy. Once youve had a band if you were succesful with it it's hard to feel as succesful with the sleeve. If you have an unsuccesful band or start with a sleeve the odds are a lot better that your sleeve will be very successful.

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 1:07 am

Best thing I ever did was getting rid of the band & being sleeved. Wish i had never heard of the band.
Good luck...you wont regret it.
Back to top Go down
neljatye
Part of the furniture
neljatye

Female
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2010-07-20

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 10:45 pm

Nope no regrets from me.....and on behalf of my mum and dad no regrets fom them either and they are 2yrs and 1yr out from their sleeves.... love my sleeve and life is good and getting better every day!!!! Sorry can't comment on the band to sleeve...i was lucky enough to begin with the sleeve and end with it..lol
Back to top Go down
TexasMommy
TexasMommy

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 7:54 pm

I'm scheduled for my Lap Band to Sleeve conversion surgery on Thursday. I am just curious if anyone has been through this and regretted it? I'm having the usual jitters and last minute second thoughts.

Thanks,
Carrie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Any Regrets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Regrets?   Any Regrets? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any Regrets?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: