mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 1:26 am

Oh..goodo...well sort of with your coughing! It is hard to learn when your full feeling is sometimes.... I am lucky that I haven't had the saliva thingo..... thanks for clarifying!
Take care! How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** 217555
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptyMon 23 Aug 2010, 1:13 am

Hi Mapmar,

No no, it doesn't happen with every mouthful, only sometimes when I think I have had that one mouthful too much or something that is dry like grilled meat.

I have learnt that the wetter the food the better so I try to have dressed salads with my meats as the dressing,ie olive oil and balsamic vinegar wets the meat and it goes down well.

I just want to add, that I think I have given myself a hernia from coughing. I have a knotted pain in my lower left abdomen when I sneeze, cough or do weight bearing exercises. Need to see a doctor for that me thinks.

take care
B

acupuncture
Back to top Go down
neljatye
Part of the furniture
neljatye

Female
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 10:57 pm

Emily my mum had a hernia repair at the same time too and she had trouble moving up the stages of food....she was on each stage longer than myself or my dad and that seemed to be for the same things you are asking about...she would try more solid things but get the same result as you....she would then take it back a step and try again later to reintroduce more solids.....hope it gets better for you.....
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 9:00 pm

I had a rather large hiatias hernia repaired before my sleeve.
My surgeon told me this would make no different to my recovery and post-op care.

And it didn't. I am very very happy with my surgery, love my sleeve.
I never overeat, I have learnt to know when I am full and its not worth it.
The once I did over eat, I was in terrible pain. No sliming or vomiting, just pain!
I hope never to do that again.....I don't do pain well Crazy

Chew your food really well, and make sure you are getting lots of fluids.

Good luck and I hope things improve for you.

How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** 217555 How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** 217555

Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 5:39 pm

Mine is not overeating, but it is happening as I try new (more solid) foods. If they don't go down, they sit there and this is what happens. I did get a hernia repair at the same time, and my surgeon knows that it's going to be tight while the scar is rigid. He said over time, the scar softens up and this should settle. [Mine is tight both at the junction where the hernia was and the bougie oversew].

I agree if it was happening 9 months later I would be going in to see if I needed a dilation.

I must say, I do wonder sometimes why they don't just take, say, 50% of your excess tummy. You'd still lose weight, but have less issues with this kind of stuff.
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 1:40 pm

I was reading shortsleeves post as it was happening with every mouthful, not overeating... was I reading it wrong? I know that saliva can happen if you overeat but I thought she meant that she has to chew every mouthful otherwise she gets it... which could mean a stricture/web there stopping food going down, therefore sitting in the oesophagus and giving the saliva.... hopefully shortsleeves comes back on to clarify what she meant...
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 12:29 pm

Im with steph on this one, my surgeon told me slimming (saliva) is excess produces beacause the food is sitting tin the oseophagus(sp) and food is not meant too, so it naturally secrets more saliva, which makes you vomit...So its all from overeating, and that what i get when it happens, but i am not a vomiter never have, even the fingers down the throat doesnt work...
Now i know you say you are still on purees, but hey it can still happen even on purees...
anyhow thats my opinion... How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** 314562
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 10:23 am

Hi Shortsleeves,

I am 2 years out and still have this problem but I put it down to overeating now. I had a hiatus hernia repair done with the sleeve and for a long time could only eat a few teaspoons and had this happen to me and had to have a dilatation done but it still happens even now and quite regularly. In fact I am feeling the same way at this very moment as I type this.

steph
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 5:11 am

shortsleeves wrote:
I am 9 months out and still eat very little and really really have to chew well and take pauses in between mouthfuls. If I don't do this or eat that extra mouthful it feels like its stuck at the top of my throat (not choking stuck, but a feeling that there is something there). Then if it doesn't go down I start to get saliva in my mouth that turns to slime which makes me cough and then I run like a mad woman with distemper, hand over mouth, to the bathroom.

Hey B - I would see someone about this... I see this regularly at work.... some people need a dilatation as there possibly could be stricture or a web there stopping food going down. I am not a Doctor or pretend to be one... but for me the what you have written down is not really normal for a sleeve.... Take care...
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 3:32 am

I am 9 months out and still eat very little and really really have to chew well and take pauses in between mouthfuls. If I don't do this or eat that extra mouthful it feels like its stuck at the top of my throat (not choking stuck, but a feeling that there is something there). Then if it doesn't go down I start to get saliva in my mouth that turns to slime which makes me cough and then I run like a mad woman with distemper, hand over mouth, to the bathroom.

I figure its a matter of just getting used to how your body works now with the sleeve.

Oh, this doesn't happen often these days but occasionally it will happen. When I look back, it actually makes me laugh at myself. Still, all good and I love my sleeve!

take care
B
acupuncture
Back to top Go down
nickif
nickif

Female
Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySun 22 Aug 2010, 2:26 am

It must be our surgeon Janette cause i havent vomited once lol.

Nicole
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 11:51 pm

How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** 697586 Yuck, why are you all vomiting and sliming........thought this was only for banders!!

Back to top Go down
tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 12:45 pm

Hey Em, from memory I seemed to go backwards from about week 4. Had two weeks of hell, nausea all day and somedays not even able to keep soup down, then suddenly around week 6 (just like turning on that metaphorical switch) I was on solid foods, easily eating grilled fish, poached eggs and even a bite of wholemeal toast.

Our tummies all heal at different rates, and some of us are a bit more special (and slower!) lol. I also had to go back to Losec as Somec wasn't helping with the nausea. (19months out and I still need to take reflux meds)

big hugs
tracey xx
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

No worries :)

Thanks - that does help, esp as you had the same surgeon. Good to know it gets better. It's not every day now, it's just as I try new foods. Luckily now that I'm home I am onto the sugar free fudgsicles which have 2g protein each and go down easily haha so I am counting those in my daily protein intake!
Back to top Go down
ssjad
Part of the furniture
ssjad

Female
Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 10:58 am

Hey Emily - you must be back home by now :) Thanks for all the yummy stuff!! I really appreciate it!!!
I've been bit of a big vomiter/slimer, but I've noticed each week gets a little longer between, and not as long. Ie I'll have one or two bad days a week now, as opposed to chucking daily a month ago. HTH!
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** EmptySat 21 Aug 2010, 10:27 am

I am now 3.5 weeks postop. I am still mostly on liquids - I have tried a few things, and can manage some purees, but not many. Surgeon said this is expected, he pulls things pretty tight and it may be several more weeks til I am on real food. However - when something doesn't agree, it seems to go down fine, then about 15 minutes later, I feel saliva welling up in my mouth and have to go and bring it up (sorry to be gross). Then I have 1-2hrs of this foaming/sliming until I finally bring whatever it was back up. It's a very odd feeling, not like preop "vomiting" but rather just expelling a ball of something.

How long does this last? Is it ongoing or just until things settle and I can tolerate more foods?

I was stuck in an airplane 2 days ago, seatbelt sign on, dying to run to the bathroom and throw up.. not fun! Then I was walking with a workmate and felt my lunch disagreeing and had to just keep walking and try not to throw up right there.

Very antisocial!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**   How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!** Empty

Back to top Go down

How long til the sliming/chucking stopped? **warning, gross!**
Page 1 of 1