AuthorMessage
butterfly girl
Part of the furniture
butterfly girl

Female
Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Tips fo taking medication post op? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyThu 12 Aug 2010, 8:39 am

this one scares me as i am on sooo many meds, and really don't want to go on injections.
some are minerals and haveto be slow release...potassium for heart and lungs..... and magnesium for breathing and muscles..... plus i have steroids and others, all huge tablets... will have to look at this.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyThu 12 Aug 2010, 8:37 am

I found the whole tablets better than halves, it seemed like the sharp edges got stuck if I broke things in half.
Back to top Go down
AzinOZ
Part of the furniture
AzinOZ

Female
Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2010-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyThu 12 Aug 2010, 3:06 am

Hey guys, tried it again this morning stuffing them in with poring custard and it worked great!!! No vomit, no nausea, nadda so thanks for the very helpful tip!!!! :)

Much love
Back to top Go down
http://meltingawayinoz.blogspot.com/
kaysa9
kaysa9

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 8:33 am

I have taken pills from day 1 with the sleeve, but I did get very nauseous from my vitamin pills. I had to lay down to avoid vomiting. I would recommend perhaps finding another substitute for the pill that perhaps would not make you nauseous, or crush the pill you already have in jam or yogurt if a pharmacist says crushing is ok for these pills.

K
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 8:05 am

No probs here either, was taking pills again post-op from Day 4.
Back to top Go down
AzinOZ
Part of the furniture
AzinOZ

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 7:44 am

Countrygirl - they are connected right? Hehehe So while it can get down the throat fine I would presume it would be natural to have probs getting through a swollen tummy right after the op, but I could be wrong.... :)

Carrie & Joyla, great suggestions, I tried doing it with up n go and it was ferrel, will try yogurt & custard with crushing next, thanks guys! :)
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 4:13 am

Sorry I can't help. I just figured they only shrunk my stomach not my throat so took them as normal with a sip of water. Have seen other posting the same thing. Mystery to me tho. Tips fo taking medication post op? 697586
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 3:56 am

Hi AzinOz,

My surgeon told me to crush my pills for the first couple of weeks. So I did that and mixed them into thin custard or drinking yoghurt. Then I gradually started breaking them into bigger pieces until I was comfortable with whole ones.

I knew that was going to be the case, so my GP checked all my pills to see which ones would still work properly if crushed or broken. One of my blood pressure pills wouldn't, so he changed my script to one that would be ok and I was able to have a trial prior to surgery to make sure it kept my blood pressure in control.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
Joyla
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 3:43 am

Hi AzinOz
I'm not yet sleeved yet but take my tabs with a little bit of yoghurt. Its slimy enough to help get them down. I saw someone else on this site uses yoghurt as well.
Hope it improves for you
Joyla
Back to top Go down
AzinOZ
Part of the furniture
AzinOZ

Female

PostSubject: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? EmptyWed 11 Aug 2010, 3:40 am

Hey ladies, I'm looking for any tips or advice you have in taking pills/medication post op, I had a rather horrible session with vomiting this morning and that was with the pills cut in half so I'm looking for anything that will help prevent that from happening again *putting on my best pouty face*......... Owie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips fo taking medication post op?   Tips fo taking medication post op? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips fo taking medication post op?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: