NQGIRL *Jan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chibbs

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Sleeve or lap band??????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptySun 25 Jul 2010, 5:37 am

The doctor I am going to has told me in the US they are trying to get away from doing Bypass and only doing the sleeve
Back to top Go down
charis
charis

Female
Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptySun 25 Jul 2010, 1:11 am

Hi Jan,

When I was researching WLS I also had not heard about he Sleeve. I went t an info session with basically the Bypass in mind. On the way there I started thinking about the Band. Then I heard about all three in detail.

The single fact that completely put the band out of the running for me - I cannot go through life throwing up as a matter of course. I just cant. So that was that.

The Sleeve just gave me more freedom in life. It was so perfect for what I wanted that there was no more indecision.

Good luck with your decision and journey.

Mari
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptySun 25 Jul 2010, 1:05 am

Hi Jan...

I had never heard of the sleeve when I started looking into WLS. Had a colleague who had had a band -- it made an initial difference but I think she stopped losing weight pretty quickly. As soon as I started investigating I realised the band was not for me and was dtermined to have the sleeve..I don't know if it will help but these are the reasons why I went for the sleeve:
-- I wanted to do something that was final -- didn't want this experience to be yet another one of losing all the weight and then putting it back on again (and more) a wee while down the track
-- I live a busy life and didn't want to be forever going back to the doc for fills and refills etc
-- I lOVE white bread, meat and other foods which bandits often cannot eat/have difficulty with
-- I absolutely detest vomiting and nausea (have not vomited at all since surgery)
-- it seemed to be that the upfront risks of the sleeve were more concerning -- but the longer term implications of the lap band and what can go wrong were far more daunting...

There are some people who have had post surgery complications with the sleeve == but they are definitely the minority. You will also find their stories here. As Carrie suggested pick through the diaries section. Many of us record our experiences from pre-surgery through to present day. They are very honest accounts of the highs and lows -- although must say the lows for me tended to be just what you would expect from having major surgery -- and really nowhere near as difficult to recover from as might be expected.

All the best as you work towards a decision

S
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptyFri 23 Jul 2010, 11:36 pm

Hi Jan

We have a lot of people here who have switched from the band to the sleeve, usually after having problems. I know that a lot of people do have successful bands, but for myself, I will be eternally grateful that my surgeon told me about all the weight loss surgeries that were available, and allowed me to choose the one I wanted. From the moment I heard about the sleeve, I knew it was the right way to go for me, I'm even more sure of that now.

You have to choose the option that feels right for you, for me it was definitely the sleeve.

Have a good look around the site, The Diaries in particular would be a good place to start. Read the Band to Sleeve section. The Pre-op and Post-op sections will also give you a good idea of what to expect.

Have a read of the Welcome to Newbies section too, it will give you an idea of how the site works.

If you can't find answers to your questions, ask away, there is sure to be someone who can help.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
NQGIRL *Jan
NQGIRL *Jan

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptyFri 23 Jul 2010, 11:33 pm

Thanks - I have sussed out the Lap band or Sleeve section.. Pretty much summed up what I was thinking about the Band.
I think my only major fear of getting the sleeve is getting a leak and the actual surgery itself. I suppose everyone has a fear of it not going well.
My other query is - you hear all the time about Lap banders having to require more surgery - can that happen with the Sleeve???
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptyFri 23 Jul 2010, 11:13 pm

Hi Jan and welcome to the forum.

Pleased to hear you are leaning towards having a sleeve.
You will love it.

I am 7+ months out with a sleeve, happy, healthy and nearly to goal.
I have had no nausea or vomiting, can eat anything, in small amounts.

Good luck with your decision and journey.

Sleeve or lap band??????? 217555 Sleeve or lap band??????? 217555
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptyFri 23 Jul 2010, 11:11 pm

Hi Jan,

Welcome.

Have a look in the Band to Sleeve section. There is a lot of information there.

I had a band for 8mths. Hated it. Had it out. Have a sleeve now. Love it.

Having said that I occaisionally work with a lady who has a band and loves it. She has lost 50kg. When my daughter had her sleeve op recently the nurse in theatre told her of another nurse she works with who lost 80kg with her band and was v happy with it. A lot of people with bands do not have this success though.

However you do need to know all the bad things that can happen with a band as you aren't told by the Drs. It can be very nasty indeed.

I wish I had known about all the complications before I had the band and had more knowledge about the sleeve. I would never have had the band.

Good luck
jen

Last edited by jen-e on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NQGIRL *Jan
NQGIRL *Jan

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2010-07-23

PostSubject: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? EmptyFri 23 Jul 2010, 10:59 pm

Hello,

My name is Jan and I'm from North Queensland, Australia.
I have recently decided to get surgery to help me loose weight but I am still undecided about which way to go.
I am leaning towards the Gastric Sleeve but haven't been able to chat with anyone who has had it - hence I've joined up here.
Where I live, a lot of people have had the band and they like it - but there seems to be greater advantages to having the sleeve.
My doctor does both - so he has left it up to me.
I go back to him on the 12th August to book in for my surgery - so any helpful information or comparison between sleeve & band would be sweet. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve or lap band???????   Sleeve or lap band??????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeve or lap band???????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: