7 posters
AuthorMessage
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

A question for the ex-banders?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyThu 02 Sep 2010, 4:12 am

Hi Mattoria,

I had my band in for 6 months, hated it and had it removed.

Had my sleeve done 3 months ago and love, love, love it!

Best thing ever! Read my diary if you want the whole horrid band/wonderful sleeve story,

xxHuggyBear
Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 12:22 pm

Hi Mattori
I had the band removed in July - after 10 years. I have not had any complications so far, but sure did have whilst it was there.

Reflux was the worst, and an ulcerated oesophagus. Now I can eat anything, and I have to be careful. I am booked in for a sleeve in October. I also have a hiatus hernia which will be repaired at the same time.
Hope this helps.
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
mattori

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyWed 01 Sep 2010, 11:39 am

just wondering has anyone had the band out? and had complications and then got the sleeve done
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 9:13 am

I think she's just got it near empty and so isn't getting much/any restriction. When I still had my band, once it was empty I could eat whatever I wanted and in whatever quantities, it was only troublesome once it had fill in it.
If your Mother In Law is struggling, it may be worth her getting even a very small fill.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: If my band had been like that I would never have lost weight.   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyWed 21 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

Hi - new to the forum and still working my way around, but thought I'd have a say on this issue.
Reading about your MIL's band amazes me. I have just had my band of 10 years removed due to the issues arising from eating the wrong way with the restrictions imposed by the band. There is absolutely no way I would have been able to eat items and volumes like that described in your post. Even when I had the band released, I still had restrictions to volumes of food I could eat - now it is removed, I can certainly feel the difference in my capacity to eat.

Whilst I would be concerned about this, if your MIL is still losing weight, then something must be working, and it would not pose a problem unless she kept losing too much. I would still encourage her to make a visit to have it checked out though.

I am hoping I don't put on too much weight now I have no band.
Your MIL might just be very fortunate about how her band suits her.
Thanks everyone for your inspirations and honesty.
Ozzieloz

Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyWed 21 Jul 2010, 11:38 am

Hi Diamonds

Do you know if your MIL had any fill removed before travelling to avoid the possibility of a blockage in a remote location? That could account for her being able to eat more normal sized portions.

Bands can be fickle things, mine certainly was in the 11 months I had one. But I really had problems with most of the foods you mentioned she is able to eat.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyWed 21 Jul 2010, 9:27 am

No that is not normal. the problem with the band is you can have the best surgeon the perfect surgery that is a success and still have a usless bit of plastic inside you that does NOTHING but make your life a living misery. With charming surgeons who will blame you for not losing weight. It is the luck of the draw to weighter the band works or not. 25% fail straight up as in the first year. Then the numbers grow with inability to control reflux slips and other assorted fun games.

With the sleeve IF your surgery is a success you KNOW you are set for life. Sure there are those with not great metabolisims who dont lose huge numbers and may need to look at going onto a DS bypass. But that is about it. If the surgery is done correctly it simplay works. You know what you are in for as in if problems happen they happen at the time of surgery.

Honestly READ the lapband boards they are starting to read like the RNY boards of the USA a bloody living nightmare.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? EmptyWed 21 Jul 2010, 9:04 am

My sister is banded and she can eat any food she pleases - steak, bread, rice etc and can drink, as well. She's lost 60kg with her band, so obviously nothing is wrong with it! I just think that bands are tricky buggers and seem to suit some people far more than others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question for the ex-banders??   A question for the ex-banders?? Empty

Back to top Go down

A question for the ex-banders??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: