AuthorMessage
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 1:46 pm

Hi EmilyG
Thanks for the link - I have printed that off and save it because it is quite informative.
Thanks everyone for the input - although counting calories might not take too long, it does take time to get your head around it and make it a habit, so seeing it written certainly helps.
Here's to a new life.
Loz
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 12:58 pm

typing " protien in 100grams of steak" into google or ANY other item will give you the answer any time you want. Just a quick easy guide to it.

If you aim for 100 to 150grams of a GOOD protien source for your lunch and dinner you are on a winner.
good protien sources are meat fish eggs tofu

Lots of milk based products are protien enriched as well such as forme yoghurt.

Nobody is perfect all the time everybody has a life and a bit of pasta or a slice of bread is not going to turn you into some monster. Just trying to balance the protien most of the time.

Your plate will look VERY unbalanced to start with and you should in general try and eat your protien source first then colourful veggies next then carbs. As you get further out from surgery your plate looks less unblanced as you get more room for those other things every day.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
melpaulned
Part of the furniture
melpaulned

Female
Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 11:27 am

i count calories and protein also - i just find it keeps me on the straight and narrow
unfortunately i can eat easily 1500 cals a day and my surgeon wants me on 800 ish

it really doesn't take much time and helps me with how to plan my days ie if i have overeaten one day i'll try harder the next

it doesn't govern what i eat but rather makes me try and balance it all out

mel
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 10:53 am

There's a ton of websites about high protein eating too, as well as several about post-bariatric surgery diet - here's one: http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyMon 20 Sep 2010, 12:08 am

Most calorie counter books have a section on protein too. I just got the "Calorie King" book for $10 from the chemist, it lists cals, fats, carbs, protein etc etc. Or you can just look up the Calorie King website and find out there.

-Carrie
Back to top Go down
mamacoops
Part of the furniture
mamacoops

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-07-22

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 3:21 pm

Hi,
I too would like to see the list of proteins... all the advice helps!!! Calorie counting 65317
Back to top Go down
whitegold10
whitegold10

Female
Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 12:39 pm

I agree with alikat hehe the list would be awesome
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female
Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-07-23

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 4:55 am

If you could post the list that would be great ... unfortunately not everyone has a good dietician.
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 2:59 am

Very well put,
I do exactly the same thing and have ever since the surgery. In fact I think that people get sick to death of me saying protein protein protein LOL
I followed the dietitians recommendations for the good protein, mind you I still have bad days but on the whole following the rules works.
Well did for me anyway.

Back to top Go down
Ozzieloz
Part of the furniture
Ozzieloz

Female
Number of posts : 747
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 2:39 am

Hello Untidyaunty
I like your reply to this thread - although I have been really well informed from the others too.
But the idea of two lists of high and low proteins sounds just great for me.
I wonder if you would post or pm that list - I am winging this as my surgeon doesn't see me until op day in one month - and I want to be well -prepared. Band revision - so want to just go forward with this op and this means better prep.
Thanks for your advice.
Ozzieloz
Back to top Go down
kold78
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Calorie counting..........   Calorie counting EmptySun 19 Sep 2010, 1:13 am

I'm not sure about this and why people are doing it. I have 2 lists of foods high protien, low protien. I eat from the 1st column, if I have room then the 2nd column. Its easy and seems to be working. I eat all fat dairy products except milk. I like my dietitian, full of good advice, contactable and she'll ring me just to see how see how I'm going.

I like simple...........the KISS method works for me
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 11:46 pm

Your explanation made a lot of sense and is really helpful.  I had a slow day at work and was able to plan ahead a little and spread the dietitians recommended three meals a day over six small meals a day of grazing ... it is working much better.

I'm also trying not to stress too much about food - like worrying about sugar in coffee ... I noticed when I do stress I fall back to bad habits, even though surgery was only a few weeks ago ... did you know those Twisty Zigzags melt in your mouth - bad, very bad ... when I don't stress I actually feel like making better choices without even thinking!

It is frustrating seeing the scales move so much before surgery and very little since but I have only weighed myself once a week on a Sunday morning ... my suggestion to anyone weighing everyday is to stop and weigh yourself once a week.

Thanks for the information Diamonds & Brendabee  ... it really is appreciated ... smaller meals more often and less stress - sounds good!

Cheers,

Alison.
Back to top Go down
BrendaBee
BrendaBee

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-05-13

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySat 07 Aug 2010, 9:35 pm

Thanks Diamonds, very interesting and does help you understand a little better cos I am also experiencing that and it did feel very confusing!!!

Jan, I have also had the same experience as you - I lost 14kg's pre op and only 4 kg's post of and I am 5 weeks out. It freaked me out but I went to a support group with my dietician and she has convinced me firstly to stop weighing all the time (i was waking up for a wee and even then jumping on the scales)- only once a week now and to measure my success in other things not only weight, like getting off my blood pressure meds etc. Also to not get on this site too much cos you are continually comparing yourself to others. She has advised me to stop calorie counting and just make sure you are doing the right thing with food - which means for us diet obsessed people..............eat three meals a day, 2 healthy snacks and stop stressing about having 2 sugars in your tea. I have been doing that and my weight is moving again, slowly but that's okay. We have a window of opportunity not only to lose the weight but to set ourselves up to just have a normal relationship with food and we def have the tools now. Hope this helps!!
xxx
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
maidmarion99
Part of the furniture
maidmarion99

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyFri 06 Aug 2010, 6:39 am

The New Improved Me wrote:
Hi all,

Just did a search on calories and found this topic so I thought I'd make a comment for anyone else in the same boat. I'm 2 weeks from surgery and 5 weeks since starting my pre op. I've lost 11kgs in that time but my surgeon would like me to be losing more in the early stages so he has suggested I start counting calories. He has suggested a daily calorie count of 800. I've just signed up to calorieking.com to monitor my calories and its super easy to search for foods on there. I have been so focused on my protein intake after surgery and wasnt worried about much else but it turns out I need to count calories now. I knew my weight loss was slow but I was thinking I would prefer small losses every week to start/stop every couple of weeks.

So here I am - about to enter the mushy stage and counting calories!! I need to start walking now too. I'm drinking my 2 - 3 litres of water a day and hope that the weight starts to fall off now. My biggest problem is weighing daily but there's something exciting about seeing those scales go down. Oh well big changes for me ahead!!!

I'll keep all you calorie counters posted on how I go

Nat
xxx

I have just posted my fears, under no weight loss for 2+weeks. Counting Calories is not my thing and I was hoping that this op was going to eliminate all our worries about dieting. Small healthy meals...... I estimated that I was eating 800 - 1000 cal, but that cant be small enough..... I weigh daily and cant stop it, sometimes I get on 2 times straight after one another to see if the scales were lying. I am also an extremely slow looser Nat. Always have been, even when I was a gym junkie.... I will repeat my pre op post here....

I am getting a bit low now as the scales have not moved for over 2 weeks. I am concentrating on taking in mostly protein, shakes and little tins of tuna or egg. Cant get all the fluids down so am making sure I am having cups of tea which I take without milk and sugar... How depressing are these plateaus, I see the doc on Monday, so cant wait for his opinion, the GP said I am not excercising enough, I do know that, but you need some weight movement to make you motivated. Incidentely, I did loose 7 kgs before op and 8kg after, then put 1kg on and stayed...... Any one else having this problem.... I think I will post this in post op page as well. Love Jan

Calorie counting 878453 Calorie counting 427584 Calorie counting 427584 Calorie counting 878453
Back to top Go down
AliKat
Part of the furniture
AliKat

Female

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyThu 05 Aug 2010, 11:27 am

I was wondering if anyone has been counting calories? My dietician didn't say anything except "three meals a day" and she scares me *chuckles*

I've posted elsewhere, that since returning to work yesterday and no work for I think seven weeks before that - lots of laying around at home - that today I have been so hungry and I would say hungry within an hour of eating - that scares me.

I've sat down tonight and thought out what would be a more filling day with protien and have come in around 1200-1400 calories? 1400 calories seems too much ... I know everyone is different but does that seem a little too high?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers,

Alison.
Back to top Go down
The New Improved Me
Part of the furniture
The New Improved Me

Female
Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2010-02-04

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptyWed 28 Jul 2010, 6:55 am

Hi all,

Just did a search on calories and found this topic so I thought I'd make a comment for anyone else in the same boat. I'm 2 weeks from surgery and 5 weeks since starting my pre op. I've lost 11kgs in that time but my surgeon would like me to be losing more in the early stages so he has suggested I start counting calories. He has suggested a daily calorie count of 800. I've just signed up to calorieking.com to monitor my calories and its super easy to search for foods on there. I have been so focused on my protein intake after surgery and wasnt worried about much else but it turns out I need to count calories now. I knew my weight loss was slow but I was thinking I would prefer small losses every week to start/stop every couple of weeks.

So here I am - about to enter the mushy stage and counting calories!! I need to start walking now too. I'm drinking my 2 - 3 litres of water a day and hope that the weight starts to fall off now. My biggest problem is weighing daily but there's something exciting about seeing those scales go down. Oh well big changes for me ahead!!!

I'll keep all you calorie counters posted on how I go

Nat
xxx
Back to top Go down
loving5
loving5

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySat 10 Jul 2010, 11:18 pm

Hi, I can only tell you about my experience. I lose weight for a few days/ weeks than I put on weight Normally 1.5 kgs than i get stuck there for a few days than I loss big again. It a definite pattern with me. I also write down what I weigh each day. I hope this helps some.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySat 10 Jul 2010, 10:06 am

I've kept a food diary since my op ( I kept one while I was on opti too). For the first month, while on liquids & purees, I just wrote down my weight and what I ate every day. Since then, I write down my weight every morning, then record everything I eat and drink through the day. I write down the calories & protein in everything and at the end of the day add them both up, along with my liquids. I also write down what exercise I do each day. And, once a month I record my measurements.

I don't do it to control what I have, and I don't adjust what I'm having get to a certain daily total. But if I see, at the end of the day, that I haven't had enough protein or liquid, I try to increase them the next day. I can see what I am doing and moniter any changes in how lose and how I feel.

It's probably a bit (a lot) anal, LOL, but that's what makes me happy :-)

-Carrie
Back to top Go down
BrendaBee
BrendaBee

Female

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySat 10 Jul 2010, 7:56 am

no I wasnt diamonds - must be that old mindset. I think i want to make sure im having enough calories to make myself strong to return to work - my job is pretty physical ( i work with children with special needs) . also i have found that i feel hungry all the time !!! I havent had my appt with the dietitician so hopefully she will be able to help me next week. What are you eating in a day - or any other newley sleeved person?
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySat 10 Jul 2010, 3:48 am

I eat between 1000-1200 each day and I am still losing weight.
I normally don't count calories, but around 3 months I counted calories and checked on my protein intake for a few weeks to make sure I was on track.
Back to top Go down
BrendaBee
BrendaBee

Female

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Calorie counting   Calorie counting EmptySat 10 Jul 2010, 3:23 am

Since I have started counting my calories and trying to increase my calorie intake my weight has gone up 1.4kg's. Is that a normal thing? I do feel like i might be eating too much / too often but then my calories are still way down. Yesterday I did well and upped my calories to about 700. What is the ideal calorie intake for weight loss - i know optifast was vlc and that was about 900 cals per day. Help as i feel like i am going to put on all the weight i have lost!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Calorie counting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calorie counting   Calorie counting Empty

Back to top Go down

Calorie counting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: