BrendaBee
6 posters
AuthorMessage
forlife

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal   Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal EmptyWed 07 Jul 2010, 5:55 am

Same as Applesauce said.

I am 3 1/2 months out and have always been able to drink as normal. I told the Doctor that I was expecting to struggle with liquid after op, but he told me what Applesauce said. He only reduced the size of my stomach not removed it totally and it depends how offer your valve opens.

I found plain water difficult as it tasted yuk but bottle water is much better. I struggled with keeping hydrated because it tasted so bad not because I couldnt drink large gulps. Having approx 1800 ml of bottled water has helped with the weight loss.

I wouldn't think that a full tummy of liquid will burst your staples, but I know I was also worried about volume. You are doing really well, and think how luck you are to have not problems drink liquid.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal   Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal EmptyWed 07 Jul 2010, 1:49 am

the ability to drink clear liquids is to do with the valve at the bottom of your stomach and not your sleeve size. the ability to drink clear liquids on an empty stomach in largish amounts is no indication of a problem with a sleeve,

problems are only indicated if you can eat mushies in amounts more than about 200ml.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
smileykylie
Part of the furniture
smileykylie

Female
Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal   Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal EmptyWed 07 Jul 2010, 1:15 am

Lucky you for being able to drink quickly, I have to have to smallest sips and even then have to wait a good amount of time before having another sip. (Albeit I'm only on 7 days post op)

I'm worried about splitting my staple line as well but I try to stop enough times to judge when I'm getting full. I have to train my brain to remember I don't have to finish the whole up & go popper, I'm sure this will take a little while to get used to
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal   Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal EmptyTue 06 Jul 2010, 11:44 pm

Well, you're supposed to be able to drink liquids, and it's supposed to get easier, however it does seem you're able to do it more easily than most. That's just a difference - have no idea if it means anything in the long run, though!
If you're worried about your staples, it seems that you think you may be drinking too much at once, so maybe cut back a little and drink less volume, but more often?
Having said that, I don't think you need to worry about bursting your staples. It's a concern that a lot of us have had, but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing it yet.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal   Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal EmptyTue 06 Jul 2010, 5:08 pm

From what I've read, this doesn't mean the sleeve won't work for you. What you can tolerate via liquids is much different than what you can tolerate once on solids. This is why you don't drink after eating though - you can wash food straight through your stomach.
Back to top Go down
BrendaBee
BrendaBee

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-05-13

PostSubject: Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal   Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal EmptyTue 06 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

i feel like because I can drink relatively fast, almost gulping thru a straw that might mean that the sleeve wont work for me . I can also drink quite a lot without feeling very full. Was sleeved 6 days ago and liquids just feel easier and easier for me. Also can you hurt your staples if you fill your stomach up too much??? THanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal   Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal Empty

Back to top Go down

Am able to drink pretty fast - is that normal
Page 1 of 1