AuthorMessage
cartay
Part of the furniture
cartay

Female
Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2010-05-22

GAstric sleeve Support group Empty
PostSubject: Re: GAstric sleeve Support group   GAstric sleeve Support group EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010, 11:17 am

Hi Tina,
Good on you for thinking about starting a support group. Chances are if you are keen then others would be too. Just out of curiosity (because I lived near there for a couple of years) are there many sleevers in Emerald?
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: GAstric sleeve Support group   GAstric sleeve Support group EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010, 11:14 am

Our support group meets 3 monthly. We get free room hire from the hospital. Originally it was started by a sleever but with the help of the surgeons receptionist/nurse. She is usually there. We have a clothing swap and generally just chat about how we are going. Last meeting our dietitian was there too, he offered some slides and information.
Its fairly simple, and most of the time is spent introducing ourselves and telling a little about our journey, we have a couple of banders and one or 2 bypass paitents. Then the local girls from here get together for coffee every couple of months too.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: GAstric sleeve Support group   GAstric sleeve Support group EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010, 9:27 am

your best bet is to keep it very informal. put a notice up for a coffee get together usally works. Sunday afternoons tend to get the best numbers as their is less people working and less other commitments. But you can leave the time and date open until you see what works for most in your area. pick a coffee shop with easy access and chairs that will take larger people as you want to encourage those who have yet to have surgery as well. In mist cases people feel more comfortable meeting somewhere somebody can say they have checked out and in public rather than a private home.
If you get a few interested you get together and talk and find out what you all want. you may want something regular or more a when somebody feels like it. If it gets a decent amount of interest you could give your contact details to your surgeon dietcian etc and any others in the area. Tho you may or may not get much in the way of response from that.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: GAstric sleeve Support group   GAstric sleeve Support group EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010, 9:18 am

No support group where I live, actually I think I am the only one in town who has been sleeved.

My surgeon has a support group run by his bariatic nurse, which meets once a month.
I have been to a few, we just meet for about 90 minutes, chat about anything and everything to do with sleeves and bands (yes the support group is for both!).

Sorry not much help am I GAstric sleeve Support group 595690

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
tiney_tina
tiney_tina

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: GAstric sleeve Support group   GAstric sleeve Support group EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010, 9:11 am

Hi all
I am looking at starting a support group in my home town and was wondering if anyone else has done the same?
Any imformation on how you went about it, and some sugestions on what we can do, what we are limited to talk about as i am not sure what you are allowed to say and not to say.
It would be great to get some feed back from someone who has done this to start their own.
Thank you

GAstric sleeve Support group 355206
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GAstric sleeve Support group   GAstric sleeve Support group Empty

Back to top Go down

GAstric sleeve Support group
Page 1 of 1