9 posters
AuthorMessage
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Breaking the eating and drinking habit? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptySat 23 Aug 2008, 10:06 am

You still get the nutrients but because your intestines are working harder you might get constipated :[img]http://sm .

I think it also has something to do with stretching the sleeve aswell, I've read that on some US sites
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female
Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptySat 23 Aug 2008, 7:47 am

Eeekk so you get the calories and not the nutrients? :<a href=htt

Oh well I guess the best thing to do is to change ther habit and if it slips now and then just keep trying.

Thanks for the replies, it is so strange trying to guess how it will be after being sleeved from this side of the op.

Cinni
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyFri 22 Aug 2008, 6:10 pm

you know that is so interesting Denise we have the same dietician and she never said a thing about eating and drinking at the same time except for fitting in food *LOL* so it is not even the different diticians with different opinions they caqn express different views to different people *LOL*

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyFri 22 Aug 2008, 1:16 pm

I went to see Dr Thomas's Dietitian, Nikki yesterday and asked her about the drinking and eating at the same time. She said it was because you flush the food through with the drinks and won't be getting enough nutrients because the food hasn't been left in the stomach long enough to break down so its easier for the small intestines to take up the nutrients the body needs.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyFri 22 Aug 2008, 11:09 am

8 months out neither the male of the species or I eat or drink slowley. Okay he does compaired to before, he was a terrible human vacum. But no slower than a normal person now. Same goes for chewing stuff. I had to nag him like crazy to start with but now it is pretty much normal. I would admit to being a little careful with food I can not judge with the eye how much it is when out and eat slower as the difference between full and over full is only a teaspoon. I do not like being uncomfortable when out because I was stupid. Oh forgot the male of the species is slow when having a beer, and slow compaired to before when it comes to drinking a diet coke. He use to knock one down in one mouthful now he will drink one over 30 minutes, a beer that is, diet coke a lot faster.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyFri 22 Aug 2008, 10:24 am

Hey, Shazza
If you read back through this thread, you'll find there are a few different things that people have been told about eating and drinking together, and the whys and wherefores.
Generally, we're told to finish drinking 1/2 hour before eating, and not to start again until 1/2 hour after we eat.
Yes, we have to eat slowly, and I drink a lot more slowly than before the op, although much faster than just after the op (I'm 8 weeks post op now).
Some others will be able to give you a better idea of later on, though.
Chris
Back to top Go down
shazza73

Female
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: whats with meals   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyFri 22 Aug 2008, 9:48 am

whats this water /drinks with meals , why cant you and drink and eat.

can anyone drink fast , or will i always have to drink slowly. Does everyone have to eat really slowly as well.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 4:56 pm

no matter what anybody says, always stick to what your surgeon says. But for sensible advise Jez has hit the nail on the head, getting that water in first as it should move though faster then eating.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 3:27 pm

I would ALWAYS drink while eating, and I haven't had too much of an issue getting used to the change. Like the others have said, I think about it more when I'm out, because it's a choice of one or the other. It can be frustrating, when I suddenly realise I'm dying of thirst but also really hungry, and don't know which to deal with first... usually I have a drink first, because that seems to get processed way faster than the food does. Therefore, I might only need to wait 10 mins after drinking to eat, rather than 30 - 45 mins after eating to drink.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 1:29 pm

i have always been a person that had a drink witha meal, but i havent found it too hard. I actually think it is easier when you go out...because you cant drink and eat. most of time i have made the choice to have a drink as it seems weird to go to a coffee shop and not have a coffee. I must admit today i went to macca's for a coffee and got one of their biscuits i managed to eat the biscuit but then i could only get through about half of my drink before i felt really stuffed...lol

I do what apple said and if im really thirsty then i have a sip to quench my thirst then wait awhile before i have more.
Back to top Go down
sallyanne
sallyanne

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 11:56 am

hi just wanted to add that my surgeon said i could sip fluids during my meal as long as it is only a sip each mouthful.
i told him i just didnt think i could cope with no fluid during my meal. i have always had a drink with a meal whether it was alcoholic or not.
hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 11:29 am

Well, now apple, you're the one with the experience, however my sleeve doc told me that I shouldn't eat and drink together because it makes the food go mushy and go through your stomach faster, thus making you hungry earlier than you would if it digested without the liquid - and that you don't get enough food if you're filling up with liquid, too.
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 10:30 am

I seriously would not stress it. It is not like bandits who have to stick to it like glue as they risk washing the food from their pouch into their stomach and thus making themselves hungry. With a sleeve there is no where for the food to wash away to as such. the problem is you fill up on the liquid and thus have no room for your food. But do not sit there and feel like you are going to die of thirst if you need a drink have a sip. I drink what I like when I eat out, but tend to find it is less than a glass over a hour with a meal. At home I take a large mouthfull to take my meds with every meal.
Some dieticians are a little confused still and tend to give out the no drinking warning to all wls patients, but the reality is it is a medical fact that there is NO where you can flush food in a sleeve to like you can a band pouch, thus it will not leave you hungry sooner.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 9:43 am

.Oh Man!! I find this the most difficult... and if this is the most difficult thing then I really shouldnt complain.. lol.
But... I get dehydrated so easy because I am trying not to drink with my meals... But I am trying to do a better job of organising myself throughout the day... I time myself, sort of.. to try to wait the half hour, then drink a fair bit, then I dont drink within half hour of eating another meal.. but I still find it hard!!
God help me...
LOL
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 9:32 am

YES!
I find it difficult, still - but probably not as bad as I expected. And the bonus is that I don't go to the toilet as often!
I tried not to do it at all before the op, but wasn't very successful.
But afterwards, it's all different - at first you're only on liquids, and then it's not too hard to adapt.
I still have to think about it, though - and if you go out, you get to choose food or drink, but not both (unless you're going to be there a while, anyway).
It's not too bad, really, but it is a big change for me.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female
Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? EmptyThu 21 Aug 2008, 7:54 am

How hard has this habit been to break?

I am still pre-op and the other night I sat down with dinner and ate and drank witout even realising it and thought boy I do this quite a lot.

Cinni
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking the eating and drinking habit?   Breaking the eating and drinking habit? Empty

Back to top Go down

Breaking the eating and drinking habit?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: