35 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Buzz25

Female
Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-05-01

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyMon 10 Oct 2011, 6:20 am

I'm 5 months out and can drink flat lemonade. Anything with fizz gives me horrible pain in my chest (as its going down) and then a big tummy ache once it makes it there. I have changed to drinking cocktails when I am out now - bit more expensive, but I cant get them down as quickly as my friends can get a beer or spirit and soft drink down so I figure its okay for me to indulge a bit. Also, $14 on a cocktail compared with the 2 - 3 spirits my friends drink (about $7 -$8 each) in the same time I think is totally worth it :)
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 03 Dec 2010, 4:38 am

I drink Diet Coke. The reasons I know of for stopping (even though I haven't done so myself) are these.

1. Even though there is no sugar in it, it tricks the body into thinking there is, and can cause you to crave more calories.

2. The asparthame in it is seriously bad mojo!!! Just look at this (http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html)

Anyway, your decision, as it is mine.

Caz

Back to top Go down
notproud

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2010-07-18

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Soft Drink is it really that evil??   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 03 Dec 2010, 4:25 am

Hi there,

I am 6wks post op and am able to drink soft drink. I enjoy a pepsi max.

My weight loss is great but am I slowing it down by drinking pepsi max?

I may have a glass a day?? Some days I dont but I guess most days I do.

I dont drink coffee or tea or alcohol.

So for me its just water and soft drink.

Tell me why I should stop?
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyThu 23 Sep 2010, 11:03 pm

I've been drinking Diet Coke (pretty much my only vice except for an occasional bit of chocolate) but I'm reluctantly going to stop now. A friend of mine told me about all the side effects from Asparthame - yikes!!! Just look it up online.

I don't want to have gone through all this to get healthy and then just destroy myself with chemicals!

But I am so going to miss it. I think I'll work towards giving it up when I go for surgery in 2 weeks - and then never start again.

*Sob*
Back to top Go down
LeoMegs
LeoMegs

Female
Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2010-06-27

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyThu 23 Sep 2010, 11:20 am

I used to drink a lot of pepsi max/coke zero/diet coke. So far, I still miss it and will crave it at the oddest times. For example, when I'm at the shops and I would have bought one. I am planning/hoping to stay free of it. Prior to surgery, I used to get awful headaches if I tried to go without it and it used to cost me a lot. Bottles were $3.50 at the takeaway near work.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyWed 22 Sep 2010, 10:40 pm

I'm a bit of a diet coke addict - although I think I'm going to stop drinking it because of the aspartame being so bad for you!

I haven't had any issues with it - and don't think it would stretch anything. I think it was a problem with the band though - made food flush through faster or something.
Back to top Go down
Choney

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-03-11

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Soft Drink   Carbonated drinks EmptyWed 22 Sep 2010, 1:57 pm

What is the rule on fizzy drinks? I have found I can tolerate them quite well, but my Dr was not impressed. I don't drink a lot of them and am insulin dependent diabetic so they are all sugar free, but can they stretch my stomach? I find drinking too much cordial/water etc leaves me with a flooded feeling and an oomy tummy. I still drink slowly, but am not a coffee or tea drinker and don't do juice either due to the high sugar content so get really sick of diet cordial water (yuk, but if I must) and the occasional milk drink instead of a meal.
I was sleeved on July 2nd 2010 and have lost almost 26kg - so really don't want to do any damage to my band as I still have a long way to go with the weight loss approx another 80kg.
Back to top Go down
loving5
loving5

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 10:45 am

My surgeon said they were find to have as long as the bubbles didn't hurt. I have only just this week (9weeks out ) been able to drink them without pain.
Back to top Go down
shelly25
Top Poster
Top Poster
shelly25

Female
Number of posts : 1776
Registration date : 2009-11-21

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: softdrink and the sleeve   Carbonated drinks EmptyThu 22 Jul 2010, 8:22 am

I was told not to drink softdrink after the sleeve by the DR.
I have been drinking abit of coke zero.Afterwards i have REALLY wierd noises and grumbles.
I am worried if the softdrink could do any damage to the smaller sized stomach??
I dont think there is any data on this,but i am intereted to see what others think about this?
It does worry me
Carbonated drinks 697586
Back to top Go down
loving5
loving5

Female
Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyTue 13 Jul 2010, 8:51 am

I'm only 2 months out and i can just now have one sip without pain. I usually let it go flat first.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyTue 13 Jul 2010, 12:47 am

I am 14 months out and I can have soft drink, I had 1/2 a glass of coke the other day. Only cause I hadn't had it for a while, so thought I'd have some. Went down fine.
Back to top Go down
nyra

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-01

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyMon 12 Jul 2010, 10:58 pm

Thanks so much for your advice applesauce,janette.. i will see how I do, just thinking about drinking the diet pepsi max, maybe I won't.

I was so additive to diet coke/pepsi before my op, I still can't stop thinking about drinking it. Let's see how much will power I have.

Thanks again
Nyra
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyMon 12 Jul 2010, 10:03 pm

Think I was 2 months post op before I tried a soft drink, went down no probs.
I do put ice in it to cut some of the fizz.
Its something I don't seem to want anymore. I would have had 1 soft drink in the last 2 month Carbonated drinks 427584
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyMon 12 Jul 2010, 2:01 pm

if they are not diet then you are pouring masses of calories down your neck for zero benfit and no weight loss.

if they are diet ones then while you are still healing NOT around meal times other than that pour a little in a glass allow th bubbles to subside a bit and have a sip. see how you go if it feels uncomfortable wait another week and try again keep repeating until it feels okay. some people tolerate them early out lots are a couple of months at least before they dont feel odd. i get froathy burps from them. just dont over do it a couple sips only to start.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nyra

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-07-01

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: why can't we have fizzy drinks and if we can, then when, i can't live without the taste   Carbonated drinks EmptyMon 12 Jul 2010, 1:43 pm

still got fizzy drinks at home, looking at me, saying its hot, drink me, i'm 3wks in my post op, no one has explained why i can't have fizzy drinks.
Back to top Go down
SamiB
Part of the furniture
SamiB

Female
Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 04 Jun 2010, 10:52 am

one of THE most carbonated drinks i found when i had the dreaded band was sprite zero......
have a can of that, 0 calories and you'd be full for hours ! unhealthy as but when you have the constant overfill/underfill dilemma sometimes it's worth it. thank god i've joined the sleevers side now.
=)
Back to top Go down
http://sosamalicious.blogspot.com
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 28 May 2010, 10:02 pm

Thanks whitegold10.
;)
but my goodness, it's still got some fizz when you're not expecting it on a tiny tummy!! It only took once... I'm a very quick learner!
rofl.
I still believe that moderation is the key...
Back to top Go down
whitegold10
whitegold10

Female
Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 28 May 2010, 2:41 pm

Raingold, waterfords are carbonated water so really you are just drinking water which is good lol..so no guilt at all there
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 28 May 2010, 11:22 am

I've never liked coke/diet coke - those sort of drinks. Waterfords Diet ones are my fizzy of choice. I still drink those. Have since about day 4 after my sleeve and have had no issues at all!
RG
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 28 May 2010, 4:31 am

A can a day isnt going to hurt you even 2 just dont drink it close to meal times unless you are getting in a decent amount of food now. Me 2 years out can have a drink with her meal with no problems, 2 months out a sip if I really needed it only as any more use to fill me up to much taking up food room.

The other thing I am nothing is people are getting into trouble taking mouthfuls of drink after a meal and suddently feeling over full, I would suggest sipping only after eating until you see just how much room is there for the drink. As you move on food digests faster but to start with and for at least the first 6 months trying to take a huge gulp of a drink even 30minutes after a meal might feel rather uncomfortable to say the least. so sip until you know how much has gone though your tiny tummy in the food department, you may not feel full to bursting any more but 99% of it might still be there.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
JulesR
JulesR

Female
Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-08-22

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyFri 28 May 2010, 1:30 am

I also drink soft drink... no where near as much as pre sleeve.
Sometimes it goes down easier than other times.

I think we all need our vices.. and if it's diet... I can't see a huge issue with it (for me).

Jules xx
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 11:57 pm

I still drink soft drink, not very often but I do drink it. I think its due to the zero nutritional value and space filling.
Back to top Go down
Bibliophile
Bibliophile

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-02-09

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptyThu 27 May 2010, 8:33 pm

The first time I tried a carbonated drink post-op, I was curled up in the fetal position moaning for an hour. A couple weeks ago on a really hot day, I took a sip from someone else's can. And it was all right - nothing happened. Now I find myself drinking a can every day. I know it has no nutritional value and I am taking up space in my precious tiny tummy that could be filled with wholesome food. Does anyone know if there is any reason other than the space-nutrition reason? How can I stop? I have a can of Diet Coke on my desk right now...
Back to top Go down

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: I'll switch to decaf, thanks   Carbonated drinks EmptySat 24 Apr 2010, 7:38 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am going to switch to diet coke without caffeine today, as I start the liquid diet for the countdown.

Zoe
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks EmptySat 24 Apr 2010, 9:18 am

The reason some surgeons / dietcians say no diet soft drinks before surgery is #1 the drug oh I mean drink hehehe of choice for us is diet coke or pepsi max, and it has caffine. So caffine withdrawal after surgery is not pleasant, better to do it before surgery IF you are going to suffer from this. #2. you will not be able to drink it for at least a few months after surgery and they want to get your use to it. #3. because they are a lame ass dietcian that thinks they have to give you the same rules as a band just because they dont understand the difference between a band and a sleeve, trust me more than half the dietcians out there fall into this catagory.

Seriously if you have a glass or 2 of diet drink a day I doubt it is going to be a problem, as in make you feel pretty rotten after surgery, same goes for 1 or 2 cup of weak coffee drinkers. But if you down a couple of litres of diet coke a day and suddenly can not have it after surgery and there is NO way on this planet you are going to be able to get in 2 litres of diet coke a day the week after surgery hehehe then I would at least seriously cut back and see if your body doesnt like it. If it doesnt then give it up so you dont feel the whole effect that week after surgery.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Carbonated drinks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carbonated drinks   Carbonated drinks Empty

Back to top Go down

Carbonated drinks
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: