Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?

Go down 
+2
weron
PiercedMumma08
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptySat 22 May 2010, 1:43 am

I did the chocolate shake for breakfast... its.... different, but not too bad.

Its pretty thick isnt it!

Only lasted until now, had to have a snack but.... im happy im trying things....
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 9:40 am

Hi Mumma,

I also started early to avoid the dread "two weeks pre-op opti blues" The first thing I gave up was diet coke, after a couple of weeks, I gave up carbs (that gives you bad headaches) and I had some tony's in the cupbaords so I replaced a meal a day with that, plus my no carb diet and lots of protien, (egg/salads, chicken, silverside, fish, beef) with heaps of free vegys/salads, then two weeks ago I went on opti, plus protien as snacks, if I was feeling a bit pekish, I just have 2 boiled eggs or 3/4 slices meat, I've lost weight, got my sugars down from 9 to 6.8 and feel ready for the intensive opti stage, starting on the 26th (op on the 10 June). I'm still not drinking as much as I should and keep telling myself its time to get inot walking mode yuk!! And I'm feeling reallllly ready mentally for the post opti stage.

I hope things improve soon, I'm sure you'll get there, slow and steady wins the race.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 7:52 am

Honestly I don't think there's much benifite to flirting with the op pre op pre op IYKWIM?

You are just going to struggle and really dread doing it when it becomes necessity.

I'd stay off it, and do it when they say to, you don't have a choice then, and you haven't grown to dread it.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 7:35 am

Gosh... the headache! And I only replaced one meal! I felt dizzy and horrible.

I had a cuppa soup and another bar. Just couldnt do it. Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? 595690

Is that bad?
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 5:29 am

And as Applesauce said... the optifast is 10000000x easier after your body hits ketosis. It's not a bad place to be. It's getting there that's uncomfortable.
If sticking to opti WITHOUT ketosis is too hard then just don't do it at all until it is time to start it the diet properly.
Trying to do two shakes a day would be MUCH harder for me than just cruising through letting ketosis to all the work like I am now.
It really does help stop the hunger pangs.

BTW - you could also try my dieticians very relaxed rules that say you can have all the non-starchy veg that you want.
Also 2 pieces of fruit a day.
That might help fill you up if you are determined to stick to it.
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 5:07 am

Thanks guys,

Ive managed to do the bar for lunch, which was at 12.30.

Im onto my third bottle of 600 ml water and like i said its not to go into ketosis, its to get my head and tastes into action!

I am struggling a little and Im not sure how im going to go on it exclusively before the operation. I know it will get better.

Worried, nervous, etc.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 4:36 am

The only thing I would suggest doing it this way is IF you feel terribly hungry replacing 2 meals a day do NOAT panic and thin oh my gawd there is no way I can do 3 shakes a day. Some people do this, the reason is that quiet a number of people do not go into ketosis with just 2 shakes a day, and after about 4 days on the 3 shakes a day the physical hunger goes and it is a LOT easier. You might be one of the luckyones who get into ketosis on 2 shakes and a low protien meal a day, just dont panic and fear the 3 a day if you dont :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 3:43 am

I find the more I drink the more thirsty I am!
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 3:04 am

Thats it- I dont want to pay $40 for shakes and then work out I dont like them.

And I figure, I have time to work on it now, and work through the process of meal replacements.... so I want to give it a shot. Im feeling a bit hungry now, so will have my bar for lunch soon.

I have 3 x 600ml bottles at work, and I have labelled them 1, 2, and 3. I'll get a fourth one too and mark it 4. This way I know where im up to and how many I need to get through for the day. I think for me, the smaller bottles are more achievable than one big gigantor 2L bottle sitting in front of me....does that make sense?

Im having some mints through the day too (mentos) that would be ok, wouldnt it. I just need to keep busy and Ill be ok.

So what are some nice teas, etc that I could have?

Im going to be going onto caffiene free diet coke too to help with some flavour and the gass-i-ness of them will keep me full im sure.

I have a fair bit of weight to lose so no doubt will need to do the three meal replacements a day to hit ketosis.

It cant hurt to try, right?
Back to top Go down
Eternlslady
Part of the furniture
Eternlslady

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 2:07 am

Trying everything in the opti range is a great idea. Especially if people have some left overs they can give you. that way you will know what you are in for and can buy stuff that you CAN eat/drink, even if it's not your favourite.
Replacing 1-2 meals is also not a bad idea, especially as you get closer to the start of your 'official' start date.

Drinking.... I'm day 5 of opti now and have found that I can't STOP drinking. My body hit ketosis and I developed a horrible thirst (I'm either drinking, or peeing I feel like a funnel!)
So, while drinking more water is always good for you, don't worry so much if you can't get the whole 2L in every day.
If you take a look at my diary you will see that I have added my water consumption to my menus. That way I know I have had enough.

Something that makes it a bit easier is that I drew a permanent marker line around a large plastic cup that marks 1 and 2 cups (250mL and 500mL) so I can see at a glance when I fill it up. I tend to drink straight tap water because that's how I like it, but don't forget that you can have the odd diet cordial or non-caffeinated soft drink as part of your water too.

You could maybe try going on the modified version where you have 2 optis and one lean protein meal...
Back to top Go down
weron

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 1:58 am

Hi Natza,
When I started the Opti phase my Dr only wanted me to replace two meals a day and then have dinner but only protein and vegies no carbs. I was okay so I don't think it should be a problem.
Wendy
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female

PostSubject: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 1:32 am

Hi guys,

As most of you know Im a bit petrified about the whole Opti Fast stage prior to the op.

Coz Im having to wait (hopefully August at the earliest to get the op done), I thought I might take advantage of the time and start and try to replace 1-2 meals a day with something from the Opti Fast range. I just want to get my head around my water consumption (600mls done already yay!), and the meal replacements. I figure while im at work i can do a breakfast or a lunch easy enough, and just do dinner as normal (well, within reason) at this stage.

I just wanted to know if this would be doing anything negative to my system or my program just by giving it a "half" go before the exclusive stage.....

Does that make sense?

Its not about losing any weight now, its about managing my head and the thoughts for meal replacements, etc- so im not trying to go into ketosis or anything at the moment.

I am going to see my dietician, just not for a little while, trying to sort out super and what not.

Thanks!

Natza
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?   Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Giving Opti Fast a bit of a go- would this be doing anything bad?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: