Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Do I really need multivitamin tablets? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 10:38 am

Just used by last Forme yohgurt, hoping that they now have in the Forme Satisfy when I do my groceries tomorrow. Nearly 10gms of protein per tub.....fantastic!!
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 10:34 am

augigi wrote:
High dose mag is good if you get muscle/joint pain of any variety too - my osteopath put me onto them for my bad neck /shoulder and I really noticed the difference.

Yep, I swear by magnesium as well. In regard to the calcium, my magnesium tabs come with added calcium and Vit D3 (Natures Own brand).

By the way, anyone near a Chemist Warehouse - they've got 50% off most vitamins at the moment, I've stocked up.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyFri 21 May 2010, 3:32 am

Janette that is so good :)

I think we tend to forget about calcium and THAT is a mistake. I look at forms of calcium with protien in so I get a 2 for one hit. I swear forme statasfy yohurt should start paring me a commission *LOL* BUT seriously there you go a 175gram tub of yoghurt less than 100 calories packed with protien and calcium. If you can get one of those in a day, a cup of milk spread out over the day in your tea and coffee, and 30 grams of cheese you are doing pretty well. If you cant do that then look at thinks like having all milk porriage or a bit more cheese with your meals and a glass of skim milk. Make the milk you buy calcium enriched to get the best bang for bucks especially if you find it hard getting it all in.
the main thing is NOT to stress early out it is all good and well me who is more than 2 years out saying get ALL that in a day but it is another reality to somebody 2 or 3 months out. Most will be struggling just to get in half the protien they need. Understand it is a long term commitment and keep working away at it and understand it takes TIME for your body to fully heal and for you to get in all the things we talk about being good for you on the forum :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 10:13 pm

I have 2 cups skim milk, 1 tub Forme yoghurt and 1 serve free/lite cheese each day, so with my multivit I think I am getting adequate calcium.
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 9:07 pm

Just now wondering, with the talk of vitamins, what's the best way to make sure we get enough calcium? Milk? Which sort?? Cheese? Yogurt?
This whole food thing is now getting soooooooooooooooo confusing...
Do I really need multivitamin tablets? 697586 Do I really need multivitamin tablets? 697586
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 2:35 pm

High dose mag is good if you get muscle/joint pain of any variety too - my osteopath put me onto them for my bad neck /shoulder and I really noticed the difference.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 1:10 pm

I have probably mentined this before, but for anybody who doesnt go to the bathroom as regular as they want then 2 magnesium tablets a day, one morning and one night can make you regular as clock work. this is NOT a fix it for a bad case of constipation, but start it and after you have fixed the constipation with stool softeners and laxitives start taking the magnesium on a regular basis and see if it makes a difference for you. It works like a charm for me. I was taking 1 a day for my leg feet cramps and the twitches I get and just uped the dose and wham fixo in a matter of a week.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Emily
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 1180
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyThu 20 May 2010, 11:45 am

*Lib* wrote:
I don't take my multi nearly as regularly as I should, it worries me about osteo, but all my bloods seem to come back ok.
You can't just go by blood results for this - if you don't take enough (for example) calcium in your diet, then you take it from your bones and put it in your bloodstream - so your levels can look normal but you are still actually vitamin-deficient but won't know it until you have a bone scan.
Back to top Go down
Mama
Sponsor
Mama

Female
Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyWed 19 May 2010, 4:06 pm

I took the multi vitamin, silenium (? the one for hair and nails) and magnesium for the first 6 months and my blood tests were fab. Then I slacked off ... the 12 month blood tests were still very good but the B12 was dropping. Apparently that's the one to watch. Also without the magnesium I get annoying twitches near my eye - esp when tired. Very annoying! Anyway back on the vitamins now.

Mama
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyWed 19 May 2010, 9:39 am

Yes I take multivitamins, and will continue to take them.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyWed 19 May 2010, 6:06 am

people should understand that those blood tests do NOT check levels for all vitiamins. so if you dont feel 100% consider taking vitiamins for a few months in a consistant way.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyWed 19 May 2010, 5:47 am

I don't take my multi nearly as regularly as I should, it worries me about osteo, but all my bloods seem to come back ok.
Back to top Go down
redrooter99
Part of the furniture
redrooter99

Female
Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyWed 19 May 2010, 3:35 am

actually EVERYONE, im in sydney at the moment, and i was out and about and came across a chemist wharehouse who actaully at the moment have 50% off all cenovis,bio organics and blackmores brands, and natures own!!! so i stocked up while here cause i go back to the counrty tomorrow, sniff sniff, and would never get a bargain like that there..
Back to top Go down
http://redrooter.blogspot.com/
karlin

Female
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 11:32 pm

Awwww Applesauce I really like the mulitvitamins made by the hands of liama virgins at 10.000 feet below the sea. Yes they are a bit pricey but the little etchings each of the virgins have carved into each tablet make it so much easier to swallow Do I really need multivitamin tablets? 2329

Seriously though my doctor told me that he will be doing blood tests every three months for me and that I may require injections of B12 and something else that i just cant remember. He said a multi vitamin is a must for me but that it was up to me which one I wanted to take or could take. With the blood tests I assume that has to do with my lapband as my nutrition was shot to hell due to slipping wayyyy before I had the sleeve done last week.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 3:30 pm

Hi all....

Like Goergie's, our surgeon is also adamant on the need for a lifelong commitment to multivitamins after surgery -- so adamant that on his medication list he actually puts multivitamins -- everyday for the rest of your life....

He has a particular concern about the longer terms effects in terms of calcium absorption and B12...and is in the process of trying to put together a study related to long term impact of sleeve on bone density.

I figure -- although I have never taken multivitamins in the past -- that if I trusted him with my life I can trust him on this one -- especially as one reason for the sleeve was to live longer and healthily :)

It's a chore but am trying to do the right thing.

S
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 10:20 am

I hear what you're saying apple! I did go with the centrum as they were on a really good special at woolies. Which will probably be the deciding factor whenever I buy them. Honestly, couldnt be bothered standing there comparing the teeny tiny labels either, so will just get what I can for the best price with the attitude any brand (except nutrichew hehe) are better than none.
Back to top Go down
tamayles
Part of the furniture
tamayles

Female
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 10:04 am

I haven't been taking any multivitamins, mainly because I don't take any other regular medications and I always forget to take it.

When I do take them, when I have a wee a few hours after taking it, it's always very strong and yellow, so I figure I'm peeing it all out anyway and maybe my body doesn't need them.
Back to top Go down
cos im worth it
Part of the furniture
cos im worth it

Female
Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 9:47 am

I distinctly remember my surgeon telling me in the pre-op visit, that I would have to make a lifelong commitment to taking a daily multivitamin. He said the nutrients needed are'nt available in the smaller quantities that sleevers eat.
The dieticians recommendation was Centrum.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 9:31 am

If you want to try again try taking them as you go to bed. I do that for any of my meds that give me nausea.

I always recomend people take them because I tend to think I cant be the only person out there who doesnt eat the perfect diet every single day. My attitude is if I dont need it then I am just peeing it out. I also have MS so am VERY consious about taking suplements for that. None of them proven either,

But for me it is not even a sleever thing both my kids take one a day as well and my vegetarian daughter takes an iron tablet as well.

If you are eating 3 meals a day of 200-250ml getting in your protien some green veg and a bit of fruit then I doubt it is going to be a big deal. I do think tho that the vast majority of those reading the forum and asking the should I do the vitiamin thing are NOT at that stage yet. Another major reason I tend to recomend it.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 9:04 am

I am not at the moment, I did in the beginning as I was really tired etc. I feel fine but am about to have my 6 month blood tests prior to seeing my surgeon for a check up in early June..... I think as long as you are eating protein, healthy foods and your blood tests say you are not lacking anything then it is okay, but always check with your gp or surgeon just in case.........
Back to top Go down
renee3012
renee3012

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-03-05

PostSubject: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? EmptyTue 18 May 2010, 8:44 am

Hi all,

I was just wondering if we really need multivitamin tablets. I know the surgeons and nutritionists recommmend we take them but i have tried so many different ones (including liquid form) and they all make me feel yuck! I feel ok and haven't got any symptoms like I am lacking anything and at the 6 month mark I am going to have a blood test to check all my levels are ok.

I was just curious, are there any other sleevers that don't take there multi's?

Thanks x x x Do I really need multivitamin tablets? 697586
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I really need multivitamin tablets?   Do I really need multivitamin tablets? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do I really need multivitamin tablets?
Page 1 of 1