ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

Why the sore shoulder?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyFri 07 May 2010, 6:23 am

Hi Realme,
Sorry everyone I know this has gone off topic, but my first labour was drug free and that was my second so was incredible pain relief compared to the first. My third labour I had a partial epidural block and didn't like not being able to feel what was happening with my body.
steph
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 2:04 pm

I had the shoulder pain but I get it every time I've had surgery in the abdomen where they fill the area full of lovely CO2 gas. Heat packs work a treat. I took a wheat bag that I bought from the chemist in, I just asked the nurse to heat it up in the microwave for a minute (instructions on the label) and it was FANTASTIC!! I draped it over both shoulders and it was lovely.

I actually thought the shoulder pain was worse than the teeny cuts from the op which were just a bit sore. So don't freak out people, it doesn't happen to everyone but heat from a pack or a shower are worth a try if it happens to you and if it happens its normal and it will go away as soon as the gas makes it way out of your body, which was when I started doing laps of the ward on about day 2 or 3.
Back to top Go down
realme
Part of the furniture
realme

Female
Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2010-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 12:43 pm

I actually used a hot shower as pain relief right through my labour with my daughter until I was fully dilated. It worked better than drugs.

Hey ssteph2342, I dont know about that! I took baths, showers what ever I could to alleviate the pain and NOTHING helped as good as an epidural! I guess Im just a woos when it comes to labour pain hehe

Why the sore shoulder?? 446871
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 12:29 pm

Applesauce, it's not really strange that a hot shower would help with gall bladder pain when you think about it. I actually used a hot shower as pain relief right through my labour with my daughter until I was fully dilated. It worked better than drugs.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 6:42 am

you shouldnt use voltaran. i suggested dencorub only IF you wanted a heat producing rub because some find heat can be soothing hence, heat packs.

strange as it seems a hot shower with the water on you shoulders or upper back works well for gallbladder pain as well. hot showers can relax muscles and reduce pain. you know how much worse pain feels when your muscles are all ridged and clenched. Heat doesmt remove pain it juat relaxes tense muscles making the pain feel less sharp.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 6:35 am

It just seemed to work for me, you yourself rub it, but then again I am not sure it even helped but it soon went away in just 2 days.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyThu 06 May 2010, 5:50 am

Don't understand why you would use Voltaren or Dencorub as they are both for muscle pain and this is not strained muscle but gas which just needs to leave the body.

Why the sore shoulder?? 697586 Why the sore shoulder?? 697586 Why the sore shoulder?? 697586
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 1:53 pm

If you are diabetic or have heart or blood pressue issues do NOT use voltaran without talking to you doctor first, choose something like dencorub.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 1:37 pm

The reason I suggested massage was because it eases the gas out of your body naturally.
It genuinely worked for me. My guy was happy to massage it for me.
Back to top Go down
miss
Part of the furniture
miss

Female
Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 10:38 am

I did have a sore shoulder also, what I used was Voltaren Emulgel but it only worked for maybe 5min. But try not to use it too much as your pain will get use to the cream, and will not give any effect.

Rub into the affected area 3 or 4 times daily, or every 3 hrs. Do not use the cream for more than 2 weeks, except you ask the Dr when to cease this.

My shoulder pain only lasted 2 or 3 days. They bloat you with gas during the surgery, and its the after affect so try not to worry too much!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=708312072
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 5:43 am

Massage of the area definitely helps.
Back to top Go down
mandy4848
mandy4848

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyWed 05 May 2010, 2:20 am

Thanks everyone !!

xo
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 2:38 pm

Hi Mandy...

Either the surgeon or the anaethetist explained to me that shoulder pain can result because the gas they pump in during surgery can affect the shoulder nerves, irritating them and if so that the pain will take a couple/some weeks before it disappears. I was lucky not to have the problem, I know many others have.

Hope that helps...

S
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 2:36 pm

I had a tiny bit of shoulder pain but nothing worth complaining about. It was very mild and didn't last very long
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 12:48 pm

it is a refered pain this means the gas in your stomach puts pressure on a nerve under your diafram. this results in pain being felt in the shoulder and or neck.

it doesnt always happen even if you have had it before it doesnt mean you will ever get it again.

massage and heat packs help so does lying totally flat and walking around. sitting agrivates it for most people.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Jaydogirl
Jaydogirl

Female
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 12:04 pm

Hi Mandy,
I dont understand why but the shoulder pain is very common after any abdominal/stomach surgeryand It is something to do with the gas that they use to inflate your abdomen.My shoulder pain was actually extremely bad (only the one shoulder) and lasted for about 4 weeks. I actually had mild shoulder pain on the same side for some months before surgery and it was discovered during my sleeving that I had a huge hiatus hernia that was the cause of it. I was told it was a kind of referred pain and that patients with lung problems often get shoulder pain also.In saying that I had the hernia reapaired but still find that I get a bit of shoulder pain if i eat too much.
Back to top Go down
mandy4848
mandy4848

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-03-28

PostSubject: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? EmptyTue 04 May 2010, 11:04 am

Hi everyone,

This forum is fantastic.
I have a question, I have read in a few places about having shoulder pain after the surgery? Is this to do with gas? Can some one explain why please?

Regards

mandy4848
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why the sore shoulder??   Why the sore shoulder?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why the sore shoulder??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: