AuthorMessage
greekgirl

Female
Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 8:51 am

darkstar wrote:
" Butttt I still want her there for me so how ironic is that. Maybe Im lookin for her blessings in my own way "

Yep: I hear what you're saying. Of course you want her support! Sisters wouldn't be able to push our buttons nearly so effectively if we didn't love 'em, respect 'em, and want 'em to approve of us. And you do love your sister: look how loyal you are! First hint of criticism from an outsider (me) and you jump right on it.

Hope she comes around to the supporters' bench soon, and without too much emotional wear-and-tear on you.

yep ouch i hear you

Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 4:59 am

" Butttt I still want her there for me so how ironic is that. Maybe Im lookin for her blessings in my own way "

Yep: I hear what you're saying. Of course you want her support! Sisters wouldn't be able to push our buttons nearly so effectively if we didn't love 'em, respect 'em, and want 'em to approve of us. And you do love your sister: look how loyal you are! First hint of criticism from an outsider (me) and you jump right on it.

Hope she comes around to the supporters' bench soon, and without too much emotional wear-and-tear on you.

Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
greekgirl

Female

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 2:19 am

darkstar wrote:
Sisters! sigh. It's a weirdly competitive dynamic.

I have one (younger) who was banded a few years ago. When I decided to follow in her footsteps and have WLS myself (the sleeve in my case), she stacked on a very strange little turn: kind of "I've had mine, but you can't have yours." I also suspect that she didn't properly research the sleeve at the time, and now wishes she'd done that instead of the band, which is giving her bother.

So basically I agree with George: jealousy and sibling rivalry.

Good luck with that!

Hi Dark

Yes I totally agree with both of you. Jealousy. Butttt I still want her there for me so how ironic is that. Maybe Im lookin for her blessings in my own way because I am definitly a people pleaser so that may be my issue in all of this.
Thing is I know I cant please everyone can I so thats that but hey thanks for the comment.

Greekgirl

Dark

PS: we're not even remotely Greek, but we're EXTREMELY stubborn!
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 12:49 am

Sisters! sigh. It's a weirdly competitive dynamic.

I have one (younger) who was banded a few years ago. When I decided to follow in her footsteps and have WLS myself (the sleeve in my case), she stacked on a very strange little turn: kind of "I've had mine, but you can't have yours." I also suspect that she didn't properly research the sleeve at the time, and now wishes she'd done that instead of the band, which is giving her bother.

So basically I agree with George: jealousy and sibling rivalry.

Good luck with that!

Dark

PS: we're not even remotely Greek, but we're EXTREMELY stubborn!
Back to top Go down
georgexiro
georgexiro

Male
Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-01-24

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 12:23 am

Might be a bit of jealousy there on your sisters part !! She wont know what to say when you've lost all your weight
Back to top Go down
greekgirl

Female

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 12:18 am

georgexiro wrote:
Hey Greekgirl , my 2 stubborn brothers didnt even come and see me......I did this surgery for ME ! I am feeling better by the day.If you need anything, let me know :)

GOOD LUCK OPPPPPPPPAAA !@!

Good on you georgexiro. Yes this is for me tooooo.
She tells me now that I can do it with exercise and diet (as she is trying to do it now and that is fine and good for her). She tells me she is the elder (well we know that one dont we lol) and I should listen to her. (ps: im 50 this year and should listen to her mmmm) lellare bullor. lol

Thanx for sharing too
Back to top Go down
greekgirl

Female

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 12:14 am

greekgirl wrote:
Kaz23 wrote:
Quote :
Kaz can u tell me a bit more about Dr Padovan. I am going into the Mount Hospital and any tips you can give me would be welcome. I am loathe to buy new nighties so do they have hospital gowns I can use. Wow what a silly question eh and how long did you stay in for

No, there are no silly questions LOL. I was in the Mount from Monday morning (was 1st on the am theatre list) and was discharged on the Thursday morning. You will come back from theatre with a drain in your side which stays in until you are discharged. I'm not sure which anaesthetist you will have but they give good pain cover (Patient controlled analgesia) and anti-nausea medications are all given IV. I never experienced any pain or nausea. Dr Padovan doesn't start you on fluids until he sees your scan results (in which you need to drink awful licorice tasting fluid called Gastrographin) and they take pictures while you swallow. I wore a hospital gown for the 1st 2 days, then on the third day I dressed in my own pyjamas.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything, I don't mind. :D

Hi Kaz

Thanx for that info. Know it sounded silly but u gotta ask dont you.
A lot of people talk about the nausea is this from the anaesthetist.

Im gettin a bit nervous now and doing things silly or forgettin things...my head is full of stuff lol

Roll on 13th May

Again thanks Hi Everyone 369315

Hey Kaz

Did u have to do optifast and stuff. Dr Padovan said not to worry with me my choice if I wanted to do it or not. I notice a lot of people on here do or have to. How about you
Cheers
Back to top Go down
greekgirl

Female

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 12:07 am

Kaz23 wrote:
Quote :
Kaz can u tell me a bit more about Dr Padovan. I am going into the Mount Hospital and any tips you can give me would be welcome. I am loathe to buy new nighties so do they have hospital gowns I can use. Wow what a silly question eh and how long did you stay in for

No, there are no silly questions LOL. I was in the Mount from Monday morning (was 1st on the am theatre list) and was discharged on the Thursday morning. You will come back from theatre with a drain in your side which stays in until you are discharged. I'm not sure which anaesthetist you will have but they give good pain cover (Patient controlled analgesia) and anti-nausea medications are all given IV. I never experienced any pain or nausea. Dr Padovan doesn't start you on fluids until he sees your scan results (in which you need to drink awful licorice tasting fluid called Gastrographin) and they take pictures while you swallow. I wore a hospital gown for the 1st 2 days, then on the third day I dressed in my own pyjamas.

Hi Kaz

Thanx for that info. Know it sounded silly but u gotta ask dont you.
A lot of people talk about the nausea is this from the anaesthetist.

Im gettin a bit nervous now and doing things silly or forgettin things...my head is full of stuff lol

Roll on 13th May

Again thanks Hi Everyone 369315
Back to top Go down
georgexiro
georgexiro

Male

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 12:04 am

Hey Greekgirl , my 2 stubborn brothers didnt even come and see me......I did this surgery for ME ! I am feeling better by the day.If you need anything, let me know :)

GOOD LUCK OPPPPPPPPAAA !@!
Back to top Go down
greekgirl

Female

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyFri 30 Apr 2010, 12:01 am

georgexiro wrote:
Hi Greekgirl. Yiasou . I also have Greek background and I also have a stubborn sibling !!

I was banded on the 20th April 2010.

Good luck and do what's best for you.

Hi georgexiro

Yes our heritage of stubborness is phenomenal isnt it and I do hope u are doing well.

goodluck
Back to top Go down
realme
Part of the furniture
realme

Female
Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2010-04-20

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 2:24 pm

Hi Greekgirl
I am not greek like you and georgexiro but I did marry one and he is very stubborn! LOL so I think I can relate a little.
I think that you probably have enough going on in your head regarding the surgery and how everything will go for you with having to also think about your sister. I understand you guys are very close and you want and may even need to share this experience with her but sometimes life doesnt work that way and maybe its better to just think about what YOU need at this very nervous yet exciting time in your life. I know I will be doing this ultimately for myself and no one else and I have a best friend who is 60kg, very fit and healthy and just doesnt get it, I put it out there to her once (about the gastric sleeve surgery) and she shot me down instantly saying that I was stupid to even think about getting something like that done and I should just "eat right and excercise". I decided there and then that as much as I love her to bits, she wont be sharing this expericence with me until the operation is over and I will tell her then. In the mean time, I have the all the support I need from wonderful people here at this forum.
Good luck with everything & I look forward to hearing how your operation and recovery goes : )
Back to top Go down
Kaz23

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 2:00 pm

Quote :

Back to top Go down
georgexiro
georgexiro

Male

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 1:41 pm

Hi Greekgirl. Yiasou . I also have Greek background and I also have a stubborn sibling !!

I was banded on the 20th April 2010.

Good luck and do what's best for you.
Back to top Go down
greekgirl

Female

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: thanx for all your support   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 10:39 am

Hi all

I want to say thankyou all for sending your well wishes and support.

Again all thnx
Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 9:32 am

Hello all, I am DotComBum, just signed up for this forum and looking forward to talk with you all

Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 8:22 am

Hi,
Welcome aboard.
It is so exciting waiting for the op, yep probably a little nervous as well LOL
My advise is to just concentrate on the op that is approaching and everything else will fall into place later on.

As you can guess I am very happy with my surgery

hugs Gail
Back to top Go down
Kaz23

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 7:54 am

Hi Greekgirl.

All the best for your sleeve operation. Dr Padovan is fantastic. He did my sleeve on 22nd March. I'll be seeing him next week for my 6 week check up.
Back to top Go down
jwd145lbs
jwd145lbs

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-04-22

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyThu 29 Apr 2010, 7:38 am

She probably worried that the same thing will happen to you. Perhaps she doesn't understand all the aspects of getting a sleeve versus stapling. I believe that once she see's your progress and health issues diminish she will come around. In the meantime be up front in telling her that she may not like the procedure your getting but you really need her there for moral support.

Welcome and hoping everything goes subperbly.
JWD
Back to top Go down
Sharon66
Part of the furniture
Sharon66

Female
Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2009-10-16

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyWed 28 Apr 2010, 2:08 am

Thanks Greekgirl,
For clearing that up I was getting worried Hi Everyone 427584
Also sorry to hear that your sister had such a bad run.
All the best for your op,don't worry your sister will soon come around to your way of thinking.
Sharon.
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyWed 28 Apr 2010, 1:50 am

Hi GreekGirl,

I'm sorry your sister had such a bad experience with the stomach stapling, I have a friend who went through a very similar thing. The good news is that the sleeve is a very different operation to stomach stapling, in fact someone on here said that stomach stapling was really more the forerunner of the gastric band. I actually stopped telling people that they used staples when I described my op, as I noticed they were thinking I was having something like stomach stapling done, and they all knew negative stories about that.

Hopefully your sister will see your journey as an inspiration.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
greekgirl

Female

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: stomach stapling Re sister   Hi Everyone EmptyWed 28 Apr 2010, 1:41 am

Yes she had the stomach stapling in Adelaide government paid for it as her life was in jeopardy at that size.
She didnt cope with it at all as she didnt really get the help from health professiionals and such so was very angry hence tried to eat and threw up and escalated to popping her staples and was in hospital numerous times.
So as u can imagine she was a mess. Her biggest thing was we all didnt understand which we didnt and she fell into a great big hole like depression.
She is extremely head strong and if u tell her she cant do something then she will prove u wrong lol.
So its very hard to talk to her about it and if u do she gives me sermons.
Counting down slowly........
Back to top Go down
Sharon66
Part of the furniture
Sharon66

Female
Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2009-10-16

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyWed 28 Apr 2010, 1:23 am

Hello Greekgirl,
I'm with you Sue,please tell us why it all went so wrong????

Sharon.
Back to top Go down
daisy
Part of the furniture
daisy

Female
Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2009-04-28

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyWed 28 Apr 2010, 1:18 am

It was probalby the Gastric Stapling. I had that done 25years ago.

Daisy
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone EmptyWed 28 Apr 2010, 1:14 am

Howdy Congrads on getting a date not long to go

So your saying your sister had the sleeve done 15years ago ?
Can you tell us how she put all that weight back on please sorry just very curious ?

Cheers Sue Hi Everyone 63412
Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Hi, Greekgirl   Hi Everyone EmptyWed 28 Apr 2010, 12:45 am

Come on over the the May 2010 monthly board and put yourself on the list!

I'm curious, how did your sister have a VSG 15 years ago, I thought this procedure had not come into bariatrics until around 2000?

Zoe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi Everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi Everyone   Hi Everyone Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi Everyone
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: