The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

Fabulous yet effective workout Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyTue 24 Mar 2009, 6:06 am

Hey Jodi- I'm probably a little slow here but I just noticed that we have the same goal weight of 75kg. I would like to get there by my 40th birthday too (4th July) but I think that might be a little unrealistic. I will settle for a close as I can get to that weight by my birthday, as long as I hit my goal this year. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyTue 24 Mar 2009, 4:23 am

Well done Jodi. Well I am finally taking the plunge and have an appointment with Curves tonight for an assessment/talk me in to joining speech. I think that now my weight in down to a much better level, then exercise is more of a possibility. When I was at my highest of 142kg, exercising was extremely difficult. Now, walking is much easier, I can get on Wii fit for about 40mins, and now that I have bought the harness, I am taking my dog walking (at lease have started to in the last 3 days) daily for about 30mins. He thinks its great and has been enjoying marking his territory on every light pole.

So Jodi, what do you think of Curves. I will be going to the one at Gateways in Success, probably after work.
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyTue 24 Mar 2009, 4:06 am

Hey Jodi. You are going great guns. Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyMon 26 Jan 2009, 8:12 pm

Maybe my idea of a sprint is a lot less sprint than your idea of a sprint because I am about as unfit as you can get. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sam
Sam

Female
Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyFri 16 Jan 2009, 1:40 am

I dunno Shanna, sprinting for 8 secs seems much easier than sprinting for a whole minute - I think I'd just fall off my wee bike if I had to go fast for that long :-)

Here's a link to an article about it

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21096920-36398,00.html
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyThu 15 Jan 2009, 2:45 pm

If you already pretty fit this sounds great. If not you can try what sloths like me try- Pedal at a normal pace for about minutes then sprint for one, then pedal for about 5 and sprint for one. Yours is probably much more effective- this is just a way to be able to get to your plan.
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyThu 15 Jan 2009, 8:12 am

Hi Sam, I used to do this at the gym and at home on the exercise bike. Was a great workout, will have to get bak to it now you have reminded me.
Fabulous yet effective workout 877290
Back to top Go down
Sam
Sam

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 16 Aug 2008, 2:55 pm

my little home exercycle has a counter and coz 8+12 =20, and 3 lots of 20 = 1 minute I have some weird math thing that has me hunched over the bars concentrating on numbers and forgetting about the pain. I've also done it on the treddy and with a skipping rope (attention span of a gnat you see) Outdoors it's the equivalent of our old fashioned sports training of running between 2 or 3 powerpoles and then walking 4 or 5. As long as it leaves yah sweaty then it's value for time I rekkon :-)
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 16 Aug 2008, 2:40 pm

you can run on the spot then walk run on the spot and walk if you do not have a bike. it is just a matter of getting the heart rate up and down.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Bee
Bee

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 16 Aug 2008, 11:50 am

This sounds cool. I'll give it a go on a spin bike...trying to count the right time will be hard though lol. Do you just count in ur head?

Bee
Back to top Go down
Liquefied_stars
Part of the furniture
Liquefied_stars

Female
Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptyThu 14 Aug 2008, 8:03 pm

I have heard this actually works. Anything that triples the effectiveness is all good in my book. Now I just need some exercise equipment to do it at home, I tried on my walk and I felt like a right noddy hehe 12 seconds then eight seconds go pretty quick and it does look funny. Fabulous yet effective workout 2329
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 09 Aug 2008, 10:04 pm

Oh, you did those times walking/running and it worked - terrific. I'll have to work up to it, but I'll definitely give it a go.
Thanks again.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 09 Aug 2008, 11:11 am

No worries Sam, if you do anything wrong, I will get the whip out and attack you.
Thats all.
LOL. Thankyou for your input so far, keep it up!!

Hayley
Back to top Go down
Sam
Sam

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 09 Aug 2008, 10:06 am

Heh, thank you Hayley. Although I've been hooked on the net since the early 90s I've never participated in a forum before so I don't want to break any protocols.
Back to top Go down
Sam
Sam

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 09 Aug 2008, 10:03 am

The article said the sessions were optimum at this amount - any shorter is ineffective and any longer is not sustainable, and I did it for 6 months last year and found 8 seconds running flat out on the treddy or pumping pedals as hard as you can is plenty ! It was a cool way of burning up 20 mins waiting for the spuds to boil for family dinner. I've started doing it again in prep for surgery - might as well be fit for the chop :-)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 09 Aug 2008, 9:59 am

No Sam, you are so busted for sending a very interesting and informative post!
Now get out!! And come back with more!!
Cheers,
Fabulous yet effective workout 2329
Hayley.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 09 Aug 2008, 9:22 am

Thanks, Sam.
I have heard of this before, but thought the intervals were a little longer - but I think I heard it in regard to walking and running. This seems to be based on the bike. It's an interesting theory, isn't it?
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sam
Sam

Female

PostSubject: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout EmptySat 09 Aug 2008, 8:30 am

Hi

I saw this on a TV lifestyle show last year and it really resonated. You can do it on a treadmill or stationary bike if you are a home exerciser. I'm sure it can be adapted to outdoors walking/biking as well. It's a clever formula called the 8/12. So, for 20 minutes 3 times a week you are going to pedal flat out for 8 seconds and then recover for 12 seconds, flat out for 8, recover for 12 until you hit 20 mins. Easy peasy and effective. I can insert the text of the show for anyone wanting to know more - if Hayley doesn't mind me popping up a longer post (here's an excerpt)

Triple the fat loss in half the time — that's pretty amazing. But why does interval exercise burn off more fat?

"It significantly elevates a hormone called catecholamines and these are important messengers to tell the cells to burn fat," says Professor Boutcher.

Catecholamines are produced in the adrenal gland — the hormones which circulate though the body. When you sprint, the catecholamines stimulate beta receptors in fat cells, the fat cells release free fatty acids to be used by other cells — this burns fat.

But it's not as easy as just jumping on the bike and sprinting away. You have to time the intervals precisely. To do that, you'll need to know the magic formula. The secret is to sprint for eight seconds almost flat out and then slow pedal for 12 seconds. Build up to doing this for 20 minutes, three times a week and you'll go from slug to slim.

How did the professor come up with these numbers? "If you do it much longer, 20 seconds, it's very painful. Normal people won't stick to it. If you do it much shorter, two to three seconds, you don't seem to get the same benefits. So by trial and error and prior research we've established what seems optimal for most people at least on the bike — eight seconds sprint, 12 seconds recovery"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fabulous yet effective workout   Fabulous yet effective workout Empty

Back to top Go down

Fabulous yet effective workout
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Exercise-
Jump to: