*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

Providing support for daughter post op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 11:37 am

You're all braver than me, 12 months out I still haven't watched the op!
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 12:42 am

gretel_au2001 wrote:
Did any of you make these recipes in advance and freeze them? I'm wondering if the cheesy ones will curdle when reheated. If you did freeze them, what volume did you make per serve?:

It is best fresh, but I've frozen the broccoli and zucchini soup no dramas (but it does need a stir to reincorporated when reheated.) I didn't freeze the cauliflower soup. I've been freezing things in icecube trays and then storing the cubes in plastic bags. That way I can decant as much as I think is sensible for any given sitting.

If in doubt, make a 1/2 quantity of the broccoli and zucchini soup first to see if you like it (freeze the left-over 1/2 tin of evap milk: it's handy later). You could also do that with the cauliflower soup if you can persude a deli to sell you 70 g of blue cheese.

Also, if you make something that turns out to have too much texture for the liquid stage, don't forget you can freeze it for a later stage. I've done that with one of my favorite pre-op soups that turned out not to puree as predicted.

I'd like your top 7 too! Please PM me or post the links.

Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op EmptyMon 05 Apr 2010, 12:24 am

Hi Lissa,

Lucky Clare, what a lovely mum you are :-)

I didn't look at any of the videos, I'm MUCH too squimish, the little cartoony drawings were enough details for me. A few people here have been given DVD's of their own operations by their surgeon... thankfully my Dr didn't do that, LOL.

I froze my soups & mushies in 125ml containers then popped the frozen lumps out & put them back in the freezer in snaplock bags. I have since read a recommendation here to freeze them in iceblock trays which sounds an even better idea.

I would love a copy of your soups list, if it's not too much trouble could you PM it to me.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
gretel_au2001
gretel_au2001

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Recipe list   Providing support for daughter post op EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 8:43 pm

Morning all. I've posted this in another area also. I've put together a list of the seven most raved about soups on the site (found they didn't print all that well from the site). I am happy to email the list to anyone who wants them.
Lissa (mother of Clare)
Back to top Go down
gretel_au2001
gretel_au2001

Female

PostSubject: Freezing soups beforehand?   Providing support for daughter post op EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 7:43 pm

Good morning all :) Thanks for the wonderful suggestions and recipes - I now have a list.

Did any of you make these recipes in advance and freeze them? I'm wondering if the cheesy ones will curdle when reheated. If you did freeze them, what volume did you make per serve?

Clare's right, the video was pretty disgusting lol (and I've got a strong stomach). Part of me is freaking out that they will do this to a child of mine. Part of me is very happy for Clare that she is taking such positive action. All up, it's her decision and I can only be there to support her. I've taken three weeks off work to provide support but sounds like most of it will be free time as you all seem to recover quickly. Nice!

This is such a good support forum. Well done. Providing support for daughter post op 65317
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 1:02 pm

Hi Clarity and Gretel,

My Mum travelled interstate to be around if I needed her when I got out of hospital (bless!) and trust me, I freaked her out properly taking this step.

But the surgery went really smoothly, and by the time I came home I was so well Mum didn't need to look after me -- which was great! We faffed around making soup.

I was almost beyond the clear fluids stage by the time I got home, but Mum got in some unsweetened apple juice for me, which was really appreciated. Icecubes and limes to cut up made the water I had to sip more acceptable...

Our dietitian actually recommends we continue on Optifast shakes and soups during the fluid stage, because it helps us get protein in -- so don't run down to your last sachet.

I'd lay in a big packet of panadol, some "De-gass" and some "Buscopan."

There are some recipes for the liquid stage (the first two weeks post-op) at this link:

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-post-op-page-f4/

In addition, I made the following two soups, which went down well and were really easy to make. Soups at this stage should be blended so that they could pass through a straw, and should preferably contain some protein. Most of the protein in these comes from dairy sources.

Broccoli and Zucchini soup

1 head broccoli
2 zucchini
2 tsp oil
1 clove garlic
4 cups chicken stock (made with a stock cube is fine)
1 small can evaporated skim milk
Optional: 1/4 cup extra skim milk powder to boost protein content

Cut up broccoli and zucchini, and saute to soften in oil (about 5 mins). Add crushed garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are really soft. Blend with a stick blender. Add can evaporated skim milk and skim milk powder if using. Blend again. Warm up carefully (don't boil), check seasoning and serve with black pepper.

Oh... and this was FABULOUS:

Cauliflower and Blue Cheese soup: (variation on cauliflower and camembert soup)

1 onion
2 tsp oil
1 cauliflower
chicken stock to cover the cauliflower (at least 4 cups)
120g wedge Roaring Forties Blue Cheese
(A high fat ingredient, but very flavourful, and the fat's spread through at least 10 serves, so I'm not worried by it.)
(I reckon you could also "fortify" the protein content of this soup with skim milk powder)
Chives if you've got 'em.

Saute onion in oil until soft. Add chopped cauliflower and stock. Boil until the cauliflower is very soft. Blend. Take the rind of the cheese and dice it. Stir it into the cauliflower soup, give it a couple of minutes to melt, and blend again. Check seasoning and warm very carefully if need be. Served sprinkled with very finely chopped chives.
Back to top Go down
Clarity
Clarity

Female
Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 12:13 pm

Awww mum! Providing support for daughter post op 595690 lol

Glad you're on here having a look - the girls and guys are lovely and it's done wonders for my confidence about the procedure.

Mum got up the courage to watch the video of the procedure I sent her...I think in some ways it's freaking her out than it is me.

I am very lucky to have such a supportive family, especially my mum - good to know there'll be someone there for me post-op - thanks mum! Love
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/clarevf
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op EmptySun 04 Apr 2010, 12:16 am

Hey Lissa good on you for being so supportive. For the first few days she may not feel like much, but clear soups and broths are good for recovery, as are sustagen poppers, and also hydralite iceblocks. She'll only be able to have a few sips at a time, and I dare say will never want another opti shake in her life :O I am about to fly out to melbourne for a week but please don't hesitate to ask anything you need. Everyone on here is so helpful and its so refreshing to have a mum in here researching to help her child!

Who is her surgeon? I was sleeved by Dr Daoud at Sunnybank (He's based at greenslopes) He has a support group, the next meeting for his patients is next weekend. Have a look at the section for surgeons for details, and the girls who have been sleeved by him are awesome and easy to talk to if you have any questions!
Back to top Go down
gretel_au2001
gretel_au2001

Female

PostSubject: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op EmptySat 03 Apr 2010, 8:11 pm

Morning all. My daughter, Clare (Clarity), is having the op shortly and I want to give her the best support possible. I've had a quick look at the recipes and they look pretty yummy. Any other suggestions on what is needed as support post-op would be appreciated. What should we be stocking up on food wise? How to cope with discomfit? When to panic? (mother speaking here!) etc etc. Thanks, Lissa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Providing support for daughter post op   Providing support for daughter post op Empty

Back to top Go down

Providing support for daughter post op
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: