applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Type II diabetic??????? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptyFri 12 Mar 2010, 2:52 am

CarrieK explained it well. it is just very low calorie. I used a mix of optifast and tony ferguson shakes and soups. It just means replacing all 3 meals a day with them rather than just 1 or 2. Then having 2 cups of optifast allowed veggies or salad a day.

It was the calories being so low that got my bloods to work, not a eat this carb here eat that carb there type diet. But I warn you I felt vile for the first 2 weeks then started to feel pretty amazing and my bloods started to show awsome results.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Carrie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Carrie

Female
Number of posts : 2601
Registration date : 2009-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptyFri 12 Mar 2010, 2:02 am

Hi Nimue

"VLCD" is Very Low Calorie/Energy Diet... according to the Optifast info they have it trademarked, and it's on all their packaging. However I'm sure some of the other brands would fulfill the same criteria.

Cheers - Carrie
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female
Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptyFri 12 Mar 2010, 1:23 am

Hi apllesauce I just got back from perth and read your post, I dont know what a VLCD thing is Please explain?????
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptyWed 10 Mar 2010, 12:10 am

tony ferguson is fine as well the thing is a VLCD that works if that makes sense :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 11:37 pm

I agree Aplles, I find that there are too many carbs on the diabetic diet (carbs convert to sugar), when I ditch the carbs things improve and It usually kicks in for me right away and my sugars drop. I guess thats part of the reason I'm so frustrated now, I have only eaten carbs twice in 4 weeks (a small scone/small serve pasta both put my sugars up) and its not made any difference. I guess I'm going to have to except that I can't control my sugars with diet/tablets anymore, I waiting on the Lantus to kick in and its just not happening, I've been on it 3 weeks now.

I can accept that my sugars aren't controlled knowing that I will soon have the sleeve and it will definately improve then, but I need to loose some weight for the op and the sugar issue complicates that.

I will think about getting some opti fast (instead of tony's) while I'm in Perth today. I'm still waiting on Dr's reply plus I've got the GP/sykes app next thur, I think a good chat with him is in order.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 11:12 pm

I have done the diabetic diet it doesnt work. I gain weight I do not get good bloods. the reality tho is it will take at least 2 to 3 weeks for your bloods to stabalize on any diet you try, they will go up and down during that stabaliztion period. Optifast kicked ass when it came to good bloods but as I said it still took 2 - 3 weeks to stabalize at good levels.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptyTue 09 Mar 2010, 10:37 pm

I set the alarm for 3am and my sugars where 13.4 had a small serve of yoghurt. Fasting reading when I got up 14.2!!!!!

The only way to find out if I'm having a low at night is 1hrly checks

Type II diabetic??????? 878453 Boggled

It has taken me 3 days to get my sugars down from 13-15 to 8-9 I am now living on boiled egg, yoghurt and "the soup diet" vegy soup, these are the only foods that don't put my sugars up...... my weight has gone back up to 115,5.

Type II diabetic??????? 68366 Type II diabetic??????? 68366 Type II diabetic??????? 68366 Type II diabetic??????? 68366 Type II diabetic??????? 68366

I email the Dr, waiting on a reply, a Diabetic educator is coming to Corrigin at the end of the month, I'm booking in...
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 1:16 pm

Most diets recommend low cal snacks as well as 3 meals apparently eating every 2/3 hours helps the metabolism and weight loss.

Your right about the 3 low meals working for my sugars, but when I spoke to the dietician last week, I told her this and the fact that I dont have an evening snack, for fear of it putting my sugars up, and she said I need the snacks and too make sure I have one before bed, as Kylie said if your sugars are low in the middle of the night, having a snack helps keep the sugars done, the only diference here is that the dietician thinks before bed will work (and to date it has'nt) ..another reason for confusion....

so, I'm going to do the night time reading for a few nights to see whats happening. (mainly because I'm really curious).
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 9:37 am

the reality is 3 VERY low calorie meals a day will give you lower blood sugar levels no matter what you make it up off. Okay not a bloody chocolate bar hehehe.

Optifast worked for me and do be aware it WILL take upto 4 weeks of a changed diet to see full results. As in stabilization of good bloods.

I know to many diabetics that mess around and quit doing low calorie because shock horror you feel SHIT when you start. Your body fights you with it. I threw up that optifast breakfast shake every damn morning for the first 2 weeks. I just kept going and by 3 or 4 weeks in gawd I actually started to feel amazing.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 8:06 am

Oky doky you've been a great help, thanks again Type II diabetic??????? 446871
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 6:59 am

PS I don't suppose you know the best time to do this, not looking forward to setting the alarm for every hour Type II diabetic??????? 68366
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 6:58 am

The Dr said my liver? or pancreas (I thought he said pancreas), anyway, it was not functioning properly and therefore pumped out extra glucose over night, as you said, the reason for the high readings, but didn't know it was called "rebound" and that it was sugar lows that could cause it...thanks and I will start checking through the night at least for a few nights I am curious to know whats happening while I'm asleep now.
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 6:32 am

kylie, whats rebound??????
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 4:32 am

I'm trying to loose weight, Type II diabetic??????? 110673 which complicates the issue because the foods I eat on a low carb/low fat diet don't always produce low sugars, the foods that produce low sugars are limited????? causing me to really struggle with the diet. I've been trying to do both get my sugars down and loose weight....

I keep loosing sight of the fact that once I've had my op my sugars will improve, so I'm thinking I will focus on the diet and let the doc worry about the sugars, that way I don't have to worry about what foods affect my sugars only what foods will help me loose weight. Boggled

I'm currently taking 1 x 1000mg Diaformin 2ad, 2 x 30mg Diamicron 1ad and 1 x 30mg Actos 1ad and the 32mg of Lantus nightly,
I'm now thinking that the op will be the only thing to get it under crontrol.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 2:49 am

I couldn't get my BSLs under control either, and ended up on metform plus diaformin plus slow acting insulin overnight plus quick acting insulin three times a day.
After I had the sleeve, I went straight off the injections and the diaformin, and cut right down on the metformin.
About 6 months ago, I lost the last of the metformin - probably could have done before that, but the docs are too scared!
My BSLs are always down around 5 - 6 now, and I have no problems!
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 2:19 am

My blood sugars went from first think in the morning 15-18 down to 5-6. morning is my highest reading now. This happened whilst on optifast and stayed that way after the sleeve. The only time I get a spike in blood sugar now is if I am sick. I can always tell then. I take 2 meteformin a day just to aid weight loss, my bloods are normal now.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
nimue
Part of the furniture
nimue

Female

PostSubject: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 2:02 am

Is there anyone here who has type II diabetes?

I've been diabetic for many years now but it has been reasonable controlled through diet and tablets, the past couple of years I have not kept track of my sugars and gained extra weight and now my sugars are out of control and I have been put on Lanset injections nightly, I started on 8mg and have gradually gone up over the past few weeks to 32 mg, but am still yet to see regualar low fasting readings (am) I have had occasional 7's or 8's (which is very low for me) but I mostly get 11- 15's and then struggle to get them down throughout the day.

The thing that confuses me is that I can have a fasting reading for example of 10.5 at 6am and 2 hrs later without eating or drinking they will go up to 13/14 Type II diabetic??????? 697586 Type II diabetic??????? 697586 the only way to stop them going higher when I eat is to 1. not eat (this doesn't always work) 2. eat lettuce leaves, fish, eggs, foods that do not make my sugars rise. (not many options).

Plus I have been told to eat a low GI snack before bed, this is meant to lower my sugars over night, doesn't work!!

I'm confused, frustrated and disallusioned......can anyone offer any advise or tips to help??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Type II diabetic???????   Type II diabetic??????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Type II diabetic???????
Page 1 of 1