applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Abnormal Blood Test Results Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abnormal Blood Test Results   Abnormal Blood Test Results EmptyTue 16 Feb 2010, 3:17 am

I have to agree the people I know who have who have thyroid disorders, not a single one has been brought on by weight loss or weight loss surgery. Weight loss was a syptom for one particular kind with one girl I know but that is the only weight related issue to do with it.
I would be thankful that the surgery has prompted you to have the blood tests so that it has been picked up. As has also been stated when left untreated some things are not reversable. It seems you have got it early as you did not mention anything else besides the bloods now being abnormal.
All the best with your treatment.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Abnormal Blood Test Results   Abnormal Blood Test Results EmptyTue 16 Feb 2010, 3:08 am

Yep: that's what I've heard about thyroid hormone replacements: they're forever. I was just holding out a bit of hope because I have had the odd temporary dip below normal in the thyroid hormones that corrected itself (yours sounds like more than a dip, however).

If it consoles you, the people I know who have thyroid disorders (Hashimoto's and Grave's) developed them without any kind of bariatric surgery and without being on weight-loss diets at all, so I don't think there's necessarily any reason to think you brought this on yourself by having surgery.

The person I knew who developed Grave's let it go a long way before seeking treatment, and some of the side-effects are irreversible (including popped out eyes which subsequently developed further problems), so it's probably just as well you've got onto the replacement thyroid hormones now, while you still are fit and healthy! That may help you prevent nastiness later on!

Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
dreamgirl

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Abnormal Blood Test Results   Abnormal Blood Test Results EmptyTue 16 Feb 2010, 2:55 am

Thanx Darkstar,
My GP says i need to be on thyroid medication probably for the rest of my life. He is not sure if losing the weight has now brought on these problems, oh well i am otherwise fit and healthy and i am feeling fantastic.

Take Care
Dreamgirl
Back to top Go down
darkstar
Part of the furniture
darkstar

Female
Number of posts : 1144
Registration date : 2010-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Abnormal Blood Test Results   Abnormal Blood Test Results EmptyMon 15 Feb 2010, 12:22 pm

Hi Dreamgirl,

Can't tell you about the post-op thyroid results, but there was a post a while ago about someone with Hashimoto's, which is a thyroid disorder. I can't find it, but someone who knows where it was might post the link. What has your doc said about the long term outlook for your thyroid? It's possible that it's unrelated to the surgery.

Post-script: found the thread:
http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/the-post-op-page-f4/hashimotos-thyroiditis-t2555.htm

Another thyroid disorder I know of is Grave's Disease (eyes pop out; weight loss; irritability; tremors; the trots), but unless you've had a diagnosis, I wouldn't get over excited.

I can tell you that I've managed to I've managed to achieve vitamin D deficiency all by myself, and with my stomach in original condition -- no band, no sleeve, no dietary restrictions. I'm a redhead with fair skin so I'm conscientious about slip, slop, slap, which is how I became deficient. Apparently a lot of people are becoming vitamin D deficient due to lack of exposure to sunlight. The advice to me was "take the supplements," as more than 3 mins of sun per day during non-peak periods is too much of a cancer risk for me (yes... I do burn even in moonlight).

Hope you get good news on the thyroid front soon.
Best,

Dark
Back to top Go down
dreamgirl

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Abnormal Blood Test Results   Abnormal Blood Test Results EmptyMon 15 Feb 2010, 11:47 am

Has anyone experienced abnormal blood results post surgery, I was sleeved Sept 28th 2009 and prior to that my results were always normal now 5 months post op my results are all ova the place.
Thyroid Peroxidase is 1300 shld be <60
Thyroglobulin Antibodies 133 shd be <60
TSH 7.5 shd be (0.5-5.00)
Vit D 48 shd be (60-160)

I now have to take Oroxine and Vit D supplements, not sure why my tests have got to these levels. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abnormal Blood Test Results   Abnormal Blood Test Results Empty

Back to top Go down

Abnormal Blood Test Results
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: