Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!

Go down 
+8
Gail
shifthappens
Caz
Max
Countrygirl
Tamara
applesauce
bella3
12 posters
AuthorMessage
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptySat 09 Jan 2010, 10:56 am

Trust me you can have a sleeve and be a total foodie. Both the male of the species and I have turned into ones. It is about quality now tho we crave to explore new tastes and LOVE food now when before it was the all you can stuff in aproach.

We did the truffle festivle here in Perth late last year and it was amazing all this to die for food and ALL being given out for free in just our size serves hehehehe It was so funny. We will not miss it next year and hope to talk a pile of sleevers into joining us.

Your tastes do change but it is not in this horrible forced way it is in this wonderful world of discovery. Neither of us have any hunger as such but still enjoy food just because it is yummy. Just tiny little bits of it is all :)

I think a LOT of people will feel a struggle in the first few months a lot of old habbits and desires pulling them in all directions but I promise it just goes away and this new wonderful life begins :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
shortsleeves
Part of the furniture
shortsleeves

Female
Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptySat 09 Jan 2010, 10:36 am

Hi everyone,

I am so very pleased to have read this thread at this point in my journey. I have been quite down about the fact that I don't have any cravings for food and indeed only eat because I have too.

I was a real foodie. Never been into fast food but lurrrrrved gourmet foods and enjoyed cooking. I only had to look at the ingredients in a recipe and could taste it. Alot of the times alot of conversations turned to food and I was great and describing meals to the very last ,mingredient to my friends so that they could almost savour the food by my narrative. OOOOOOOOOh how things have changed!!!!!!

I only wish that those cravings returned and to know that I could still enjoy the foods I so loved to prepare and eat knowing that only a few mouthfuls would suffice. I would be happy with that.

Whilst I am here, I may as well let it all hang out....................the other thing I have found is that I can never really quench my thirst. Sip sip sip just doesn't do for me. I always enjoyed guzzling water and thats another thing I miss.

Ok, I'm done and thanx.
acupuncture
Back to top Go down
manda
manda

Female
Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptySat 09 Jan 2010, 7:02 am

ohh food!!! so does not appeal to me anymore, I have also totally LOST my sweet cravings. the amount of chocolate i recieved at xmas from my students was insane. and i didnt eat 1. i palmed them all off to my family (who enjoyed them). prior to the sleeve i would not let anyone sniff let alone look at my chocolate without me turning into an animal about it LOL. i have lost all interest in food and find eating consumes to much of my time during the day and would rather go without. HOWEVER i can still handle my fav food lasagne but only very very small portions as the pasta really bloates me. i have had no trouble with food since sleeve and im almost 9 weeks out and can eat ANYTHING. I have noticed tho that my taste had changed and am eating things i would never have dreamed of looking at prior. for example crab. im addicted now but would never have gone near it prior to sleeving.
ITS GREAT
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptySat 09 Jan 2010, 6:43 am

Hi there

Depends what your favourite food is. I am a tiny bit sad that I can't eat sausages (they have a fat police warning anyway!!) but I can eat everything else!! I'm 5 months out so the quantity is still relatively small but I am totally happy with the variety out there. Oh and KFC is urgh now but really, do we miss KFC?? I can eat 1/2 a cheeseburger when I'm travelling with my kids or nuggets and I'm happy to be doing that but I agree with the others that fast food just doesn't appeal anymore, you actually enjoy eating better food.

Yes you need to make some changes to your diet and focus on eating healthier but it isn't hard to do after you're sleeved because weirdly enough, you lose interest in eating like you did before. I often forget to eat before lunch on the weekend. It really will change your life.

Good luck next week Bella!
Back to top Go down
Max
Part of the furniture
Max

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyThu 07 Jan 2010, 8:10 am

Hey Caz,

glad you appreciate my sense of humour.

Max
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyTue 05 Jan 2010, 4:51 am

I know what you mean.... I am 3 weeks out today and have been eating a variety of things.... so not bored at all..... just take each day as it comes and try and get your water intake inbetween "meals" and start vitamins as soon as you can to keep your energy levels up!

Good luck.... but you won't need it! The sleeve is wonderful!
Back to top Go down
bella3
bella3

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyTue 05 Jan 2010, 3:32 am

Thanks Everyone it is really reassuring knowing that it isnt going to be "that bad afterward" and your right im sure nothing does taste as good as skinny feels... i cant wait to feel skinny lol

But yes it is really interesting to know exactly what everyone can handle eating now and at what stage.

So many mixed emotions now i just cant wait for next week to be over with :P so many months of anticipation!!!

Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! 487524
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 11:57 pm

I'm a big fan of Subway as my quick meal of choice, I'm 11 months out and really don't avoid any foods these days, if I feel like having something I usually have it, knowing that I'll probably waste a good portion of it or will get to finish it again the next day. At Subway I usually order a childrens' 4 inch with turkey, cheese and salad and can generally finish most of it and feel very satisfied for a few hours afterwards (althought don't know if they do this size in the US).

Have just spent 2 weeks with my family over the holidays, managed to lose 1 kg although I think dad may have put on a couple as he seemed to feel compelled to finish what I couldn't. Even had to sabotage a few things by pouring water over it to stop him.

One of the benefits I've found with the sleeve is that I don't actually get the "I'm starving" feeling anymore. I sometimes feel empty but don't get the tummy grumbles very often.
Back to top Go down
shifthappens

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 10:32 pm

Threads like this are a big help to me.

Right now I can eat a 6 inch sub and be happy with it. The problem is that 90 minutes later I'm ready for another 6 inch sub. Well, when I first started looking into being sleeved the emphasis was always on TINY meals. TINY. I have come to understand that some of this is relative. If you are a person who was never happy with a 6 inch sub, being able to eat 1/2 or 2/3's of one, would be "tiny". To me, that's not tiny. That is actually exactly what I'm hoping for....to be able to eat enough to have the taste but not so much as to stay fat. And for that sub to last me longer before I am ready to eat again.

I'm willing to work this through and understand it might be 6 months before I get to that portion of a 6 inch sub, but for me that amount is perfect. I think too many people are scared off from this particular WLS because they get the idea (and understandably so) that they will be on teeny, tiny for the rest of their days. I really appreciate when people share real amounts in understandable quantities so I know what to really expect. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 9:18 pm

Flossing your teeth - ROFLMAO!!!
Back to top Go down
Max
Part of the furniture
Max

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 9:12 pm

Bella,
I say to people if this is surgery you may consider, you then also consider the food limitations for the rest of your life. You are essentially giving up your relationship with food, but then isn't this why we get sleeved? 10 months out and I can eat anything I want, just smaller portions. There are however many things I choose not to eat or no longer want them as my taste buds have changed plus your mind changes as you know you need to eat for nutrition. Haven't yet tackled a hamburger but I have at Macca's however I just no longer want the crap Maccas offer (family are big maccas eaters) had a egg & bacon mcmuffin the other day and it was just right and didn't make me feel sick. I will order a 6inch from subway eat about 3/4 of it. I order a classic quarter chicken and chips from red rooster, eat the chicken and 1 chip. Like applesauce, I find it rather amusing that we can fit in 1 chip rather than a whole bag. But 1 chip satisfies me and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. When I was first sleeved I could eat about 3 prawns in one sitting, now I can have 10 - 12 providing I have nothing else. I buy chinese take away of garlic prawns or some kind of protein and as long as I have no rice I can eat a fair bit of the protein and have the rest for lunch tomorrow.
Nothing tastes as great as being thin, I have lost 43kgs since April and I don't care about what I can't eat, I just don't think about it because I love being thin and am so enjoying the new smaller me. Bought a new bra the other day size 12c, ah hello, I once looked at these and thought they were for flossing your teeth. My hubby and I have had a great laugh looking at this little bra and knowing that it FITS ME!!!!!! So after all that, YES you will be able to eat your favourite foods again, just in smaller portions and don't rush it, allow your body time to adjust as it needs.
Have your sleeve and enjoy the rest of your life.
Max
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 11:23 am

I am now 15 weeks out and can eat anything. There is nothing I haven't tried that I have had a problem with. I was very careful for the first 3 weeks then slowly thing just went back to normal. I heal pretty quickly tho with most things. I found this op one of the easiest I have had to recover from.

I do still get hungry tho but it doesn't take much to satisfy me.
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 9:42 am

I think most of us on here, have had a moment like this.

The answer (well for me anyway) is yes. I am almost one year out, and I can eat anything I want. My tastes have changed a lot since surgery,and a lot of the foods I liked before, I dont want to eat now.
Occasionally I will have a happy meal from Maccas, and either the nuggets or the cheeseburger go down fine (not that I can even come close to finishing a happy meal). I am yet to try a 6" from subway, but I can eat the wraps just fine. I once even tempted fate and got Chinese take-away from a food hall, and apart from it tasting extremely greasy, it was ok.

One of the main reasons I chose the sleeve over the band is due to the fact that once the initial healing and recuperation stage is over life pretty much returns to normal in terms of what you can eat and drink.

The first few months can be tough, as you will want to eat things that other people are, and it can get frustrating when you have to sip on an opti shake or eat some mushie thing that doesnt even resemble food, but honestly it is only for a couple of weeks/months, and then everything will be just like before.

Of course this is just my outcome, some people do have problems with bread (mostly big buns) or steak, but it would seem that this is usually only temporary and usually by the one year mark they are able to eat normally again.

Good luck

xx
Tamara
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 9:40 am

The first couple of months are going to be tough no point lying. The volume and what you can eat is pretty damn restricted but once you are fully healed you can eat anything all be it smaller amounts. I split a burger with my other half once a month and enjoy it the days of an entire one are gone tho hehehe Oh I alos have chip to go with it. the kids think it is hilarious at my process of picking THE best chip there is cause I can only fit one in hehehe

Everybody heals at different rates some people are upto 250ml and able to eat anything by 3 months the vast majority by about 4 to 4 1/2 months and some who stragle along to about 6 months with the odd person still being slow until about 9 months. Unless something goes wrong with the actual surgery everybody eventually settles down and eats it all :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
bella3
bella3

Female
Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! EmptyMon 04 Jan 2010, 9:30 am

Hi All

Im in day 4 of opti and going well apart from all food suddenly smelling a whole lot nicer now that i cant have it lol

My biggest concern/worry is... Do you still like and enjoy food after the sleeve? I love my food but my problem is emotional overeating, but im starting to get a lil upset thinking that i wont like eating at all anymore afterwards.

Will i ever be able to handle spaghetti? a burger? or anything like that ever again?

Im in no way thinking about not going to get the sleeve, its for my health so that deffs out of the question. but still does/did anyone feel the same?? And well if thats my life afterwards then so be it because my health is more important
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!   Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Will i ever be able to eat my fav food?? - sleeve next week!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: