AuthorMessage
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Cards to show in restaurants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyThu 01 Apr 2010, 2:04 am

They are useful, aren't they - and most people have no idea what "bariatric" means so they think it is something dire and don't dare ask!!!

LOL
Back to top Go down
akadano54
Part of the furniture
akadano54

Female
Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyThu 01 Apr 2010, 1:36 am

Hi everyone,

I have just returned from my 1 month check up and wooohooo, I have lost 7kg post sleeve. All up 21kg and I am over half way to goal.

I took my cards along and showed them to the Practice Nurse who was impressed. She added the Dr's stamp and asked me to let her know how I go with them, as she said that she will hand them out to all of the sleevers and banders if they are successful. I'm going to laminate them and use try out the card over Easter.

Many thaks Caz for this great idea.

Alex
Back to top Go down
Maryanne79
Maryanne79

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 31 Mar 2010, 3:31 am

I think the cards are a great idea......

currently I order a normal or entree meal, and put most of my food on my partners plate lol.... but the problem with this is....he leaves feeling over stuffed.... and how long will it be before he starts gaining weight!

at least with a card you could really individualise your meal...asking and being charged for only 1 cup of food.....much cheaper :)

many thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptySun 28 Mar 2010, 10:30 am

Just click on the card you want to print. It should then print out correctly. Mine printed in the middle of the page of an A4 sheet. You may need to look at your printer settings if it's cutting off part of the card.

steph
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2009-10-14

PostSubject: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptySat 27 Mar 2010, 9:12 am

I have tried to print some of these cards but haven't been able to get the sizing right. There are 10 cards to the page but only 4 print within the card boundaries. I will try again before the next Adelaide Meetup.

Jenni
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 8:28 pm

For those of you who may not have read all the way to the bottom, here is where you can get some cards.

http://www.gastric-bypass-guru.com/restaurant-card-bariatric-surgery.html

Pretty basic and doesn't state what surgery etc.
Back to top Go down
sophia
Part of the furniture
sophia

Female
Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 11:31 am

Hi there,
as I have 2 kids that adore Sizzlers, we tend to go there a few times a year.

I tell them I have a lap band and ask if I can have my meal at children's prices as I can only fit in a small bowl. They are fine with it - and it costs me $9!

Other places I do an entree, or share.
Sophia
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 10:01 am

Most lunches for me aren't high-brow, haven't got enough time to enjoy it. Weekends, yep.

I think the cards are a great idea, if you can get onto them. I had a friend who was banded and she had a card she got from her surgeon that stated she needed a smaller meal. The card didn't embelish by giving any reason, and no-one ever queried her beyond the card.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:55 am

I have to admit I rarely order of a childs menu as the food on them is to my mind pretty vile. But when I have I have had no problems at all. the waiter might joke and go oh you are a very young 12 wink wink with me but it is all said in fun and with no problems.

I tend to go to nicer resturants these days ones that dont have kids menus, not a snob thing BUT a simple fact that they have the BEST entrees. I mean entrees I would choose as a meal over a main any day of the week they are so nice. So for others looking for things above the standard garlic prawns entree try some nice resturants. Considering you are only ordering an entree it doesnt work out any more expensive than a cheapie. Quality over quanityis our rule of the day now.

I had this duck pate the other day and I swear I was going to start doing that hair shampoo ad in the resturant it was THAT good hehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:35 am

You're really lucky, apple. When I was banded I wasn't able to eat much (at times, anyway, nothing was consistent LOL). I'd try and order from the kids menu and was told I couldn't. This wasn't an isolated thing, either. Happened quite a few times. I'm in Vic. though, so the culture might be different.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:28 am

Honestly people I eat out at least twice a week, a new resturant at least every couple of weeks and I have NEVER had a probem ordering a meal. I am talking from the local chinese to some high class resturants. I order and ask for an extra plate and share a meal with the other half. I order from the entree menu. I order a main for myself and leave half of it. I order from the childs menu. All of the things mentioned and NEVER a problem never having explaining myself beyond saying either not a big eater or saving room for your yummy desserts. If you are polite and friendly with the waiters you just never have any akward embrassing moments at all.
We went on an 11 day cruise after christmas and I mean they ply you like crazy with food, and that was the only time I had to really say no not a big eater is all because they constantly offered me something else thinking I didnt like the food hehehe But they where sweet and understanding as soon as you said that, they where just doing their job and making sure I did not dislike the food and was to embrassed to say so.

Go out have a good time, no need for cards or telling anybody you have had surgery I promise nobody will think you odd :)

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Raingold
Part of the furniture
Raingold

Female
Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 9:20 am

There is one online that just says that you've had bariatric surgery and can you please have a smaller meal.
I've asked at my surgeon's if they'll consider doing this, but haven't heard anything back. I wish they would. It'd make eating out and awful lot easier, methinks, especially if they verify it.
I never thought of asking for a letter...
Back to top Go down
jen-e
Sponsor
jen-e

Female
Number of posts : 402
Registration date : 2010-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyWed 24 Mar 2010, 6:28 am

Hi Sue,

Is that all restuarants you go to? Do you have to order entree or children size meals? Or do you just ask for a small meal of what you want off the menu? I hadn't thought about that for sleevers, just knew about the lapband card tho I've never used mine in Australia.

Jen
Back to top Go down
sue
Top Poster
Top Poster
sue

Female
Number of posts : 3609
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 10:55 am

My Doc just wrote me a letter and i carry it around with me and havent had a ny trouble getting childrens prices etc its so handy

Cheer Sue Cards to show in restaurants 63412
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 5:57 am

Me too - here in Australia.

An entree (called an appetiser over there btw - entrees = the main course) is actually probably still too big!!! So I thought it might be handy on our trip.
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 5:49 am

I never use my card. I just order an entree.
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 5:39 am

What a great idea girls :)

I was so embarrassed when eating out and still being in the liquid and mushy stage and having to explain it all...once to an asian chain that could hardly understand me or contemplate that I did not want anything in my tom yum soup...just soup...lol
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 5:03 am

The ones on that site are a little more 'generic', aren't they!
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 3:36 am

Oh they are great Caz!!
This is what I have.
Cards to show in restaurants LapBandCard
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 3:34 am

http://www.gastric-bypass-guru.com/restaurant-card-bariatric-surgery.html

I actually just found some online that will work a treat - thanks anyway.

Caz
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 3:29 am

Caz wrote:
Lib - any chance you could scan it in and email to me - I can PM you my email address. If not, perhaps just send me the wording that is on it.

Thanks
Caz

Yeah thats fine, just PM me and I'll scan it for you!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 3:27 am

Lib - any chance you could scan it in and email to me - I can PM you my email address. If not, perhaps just send me the wording that is on it.

Thanks
Caz
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 2:44 am

I got one from my surgeon, all thought its for the band not the sleeve. Same diff really!
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female

PostSubject: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants EmptyFri 11 Dec 2009, 2:26 am

I'm sure I've seen this somewhere - does anyone know where I can get (or download) a card that can be shown in restaurants to explain why you can't eat much and need to order smaller portions?

I'd like one to take over to the USA.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cards to show in restaurants   Cards to show in restaurants Empty

Back to top Go down

Cards to show in restaurants
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: