AuthorMessage
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Dr A Thomas - Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 3:28 am

I have a few months ago found out why they like to wait 3 months for a sleeve after band removal. One of my friends that lives in a nearby town had a band removal/sleeve done at the same time and nearly died because the tissue was too soft. Long story but her case was referred to all surgeons in Australia and they changed the way they do it. If a doctor doesn't want to wait and do it all at once then I would seriously think about getting another doctor. IMO
Back to top Go down
fatcath
Part of the furniture
fatcath

Female
Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2011-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 04 Nov 2011, 2:09 am

Hi Monnie,

I had my sleeve done by Dr Thomas 3 months ago. He took out my band and basically bulk billed me for that. He definitely has a 3 month minimum between surgeries although I took 6 months to decide whether I wanted more surgery. So glad I did Im down 32kgs and only 8 from my goal....its all been a dream compared to the band! The sleeve was $3000 out of pocket so not bad compared to some surgeons. I think he is great.

Good luck with your decision.

Love Cath x
Back to top Go down
Monnie81

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-10-29

PostSubject: Going from band to sleeve   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptySat 29 Oct 2011, 7:56 am

Hi everyone.
I have been reading all of your stories and have learnt lots. I have my band in for nearly 3 years now and thinking of having the sleeve done with Alan Thomas..
So sick of being sick all the time and going up and down with my fills..
I have read heaps about Dr Thomas and was wondering if all patients habe to wait the 3 months in between getting their band taken out to having the sleeve done?
What are the rough cost's that everyone has been charged? Im with Hbf and some costs are covered?
Monnie81
Back to top Go down
jessiegirl
jessiegirl

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 12 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

At the moment Mr Thomas has roughly a two month period between 1st consultation and operation. Depending on your flexibility obviously. went for my first consultation Thursday. I have my dietician and assessor next week. Endoscopy week after. They fit you in as quick as they can :)
Back to top Go down
Hillybilly

Female
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptySun 10 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

Hi

Whats this 3 month weight and losing weight before the op all about.
Back to top Go down
aprilsun
aprilsun

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: DR A THOMAS   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 13 May 2011, 1:00 pm

Hello Everyone,
I had my Sleeve done by Dr Thomas, and wouldnt have changed that for the world. He is a wonderful man and very talented surgeon.
Miss Violet,

I took out private cover for myself only and waited the year, I thought it would never come around but it flew past, and I saved myself thousands of dollars. I would really advise that
you maybe think about joining a health fund, but if you have the money then fine go ahead.

Cath80,

I had my Sleeve on the 25th August 2010, and from starting the process when i saw him in April or May last year, have lost 40kgs, Im happy as larry and dont have a bad word to say about the sleeve. I had a dream run, no pain, no gas, no nausea, in fact I felt like I didnt have any operation at all.

As far as I know Dr Thomas just does private................ but Im not sure if things have changed.

Wishing you all the very best,
Anna Dr A Thomas - Perth 217555
Back to top Go down
RROSSI
RROSSI

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 10:46 am

I had it done by Mr T December last year,

it cost me all up 17k and I ended up getting 3k back from the hospital and a little back from my HIF

If I had my time again I wouldnt change anything, yes it cost me a bit but I am so much better for it, 38kg lost and counting and Im getting better every day! getting closer to 100kg and I havnt been even trying for the last month as I have bene in holiday mode!

MR T is a champ!

just my 2c

RR
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyTue 03 May 2011, 3:40 am

When I asked about doing it without Private health cover I was told around $20,000. It could possibly be higher by now. Definately worth the 12 month wait. I think my cover for the whole family was $3000 for the year and that was top hospital top extras. You don't even need to go that high.

IF you have complications then its better to have cover.

Good Luck in your research
Back to top Go down
MissViolet
MissViolet

Female
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyMon 02 May 2011, 3:19 pm

Newbie here, Hello...

Ive just started researching about the Gastric Sleeve so its all new to me..

Im not all up to date with how all things work but I was wondering if Dr Thomas does public system for Gastric Sleeve or does he only do private?

I dont have private cover and dont plan on getting it either.

What kind of $ am I looking at for the WHOLE procedure..

I desperately want to get it done...:(

Thanks
Kim
Back to top Go down
kaz

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptySun 17 Apr 2011, 1:20 pm

Hi Cath

Good to hear that you and your husband are happy with the choice. My 6 month old had a good play in the room as well and they dont seem to blink an eye lid.

All the best for the 14th I found the pain was reduced as they went in through the same holes so I hope you have the same experience.

Kaz
Back to top Go down
Cath80

Female
Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-04-10

PostSubject: My First Consult with Dr Thomas   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptySun 17 Apr 2011, 1:26 am

What a lovely Man!

He took so much time to answer ALL my questions, as well as my husbands...and also didnt mind our 1 year old crawling around his room.

I am now due to get my band removed on the 14th May 2011.\

I honestly cant wait to see the end of this band - and one step closer to my sleeve :)

Thanks to all who recommended Dr Thomas to me.

Dr A Thomas - Perth 217555
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 15 Apr 2011, 3:46 am

Me Me Me
Back to top Go down
kp
kp

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyThu 14 Apr 2011, 11:41 am

Hi cath i have had Dr thomas for my gastric sleeve operation and my gall bladder removal Iam 18 months out and have lost 37 kg in that time.
i have been stable with my weight for the last 6months and am in the normal bmi for my height.
Iam due to see him for a gastroscopy in may to check my easophogus as i have an ongoing condition caused by reflux that i had while overweight.
What a fantastic man to deal with the girls in his office and Nikki the dietician are all great as well .
If you would like to talk Pm me and i will give you my mobile number
cheers
karen (kp)
Back to top Go down
Cath80

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyThu 14 Apr 2011, 6:09 am

Hi Jacko. Thanks for that mate! Its so reassuring to know that i will be dealing with a nice man - because my weight is something i get a bit emotional & SCARED about!!

I havent really heard from many people who have had Dr Thomas as their surgeon - but those who i have read, have excellent feedback.

I have my first appointment with him tomorrow 15/4 to discuss the removal of this wretched lapband. The quicker i get that done, the quicker my 3 month wait will be to get sleeved!

I think that is fantastic that you have lost 15kgs - thats a big amount of weight! Imagine how well you will go when sleeved.
Back to top Go down
Jacko84
Part of the furniture
Jacko84

Male
Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2011-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyWed 13 Apr 2011, 12:39 pm

Hi cath i have been seing dr thomas since January he is excellent i have had my blood test have lost 15kg so far and depending on this fridays weigh in with nikki cummings his nutritionist he will set the surgery date.

the first time i saw him in jan at westperth office he was 2hrs behind you know what after getting in to see him i felt sooooooooo confident he took the time to go through everything hence realised why he was behind time
Back to top Go down
Cath80

Female

PostSubject: Who has had Dr Alan Thomas as their Surgeon?   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyWed 13 Apr 2011, 12:26 pm

Hello lovely people,

After many weeks of being confused - i have decided to change Surgeons, and go to go with Dr Alan Thomas to both remove my band, and to be sleeved 3 months later.

The reason i chose Dr Thomas is because his subspeciality is in Upper Gastro-intestinal Surgery as well as a Bariatric Surgeon Surgery, amongst other things. After having a band for 7 years, i am glad he will be able to check my stomach and oesophagus to make sure everything is ok. Lord knows whats going on in there after basically 7 years of vommiting! So i feel comfortable as im in good hands.

My first appointment to organise my lap-band remocal is this Friday the 15th. I cant wait!

Who else has has Dr Thomas & what was your experience like with him? And what have you achieved thus far in regards to weightloss?

Cheers,
Cathy
Back to top Go down
RROSSI
RROSSI

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 03 Dec 2010, 10:28 am

Jigglypuff wrote:

Hi RR,

I was in SJOG Murdoch for 4 days (Thurs-Mon). The staff were just fantastic and couldn't do enough to help. Consider yourself really lucky if you end up in the children's ward...it soooo peaceful in there.

I had a drain and a drip when I woke up, neither hurt me to have removed (I was stressing on that). Be prepared to feel a bit yuk on the first day, I wasn't in pain but just a bit nauseated, they jumped on this quickly and gave me Maxalon in my IV.

I wish I could say to you don't be scared but its a normal response to have....so just go with the flow and trust in MR T's expertise. If you want to know anything else or to chat, just PM me...I'm happy to answer.

Jiggly x

p.s The beef/Chicken broth is disgusting.....I'm still scarred from it!

Dr A Thomas - Perth 135961

Wow 4 days.......I hope I dont have to stay 4 days, lol thats an extra 2k I have to come up with, MR T said its norm 2 days so Im hoping its only 2!

Im lucky enough to have it done at the Mount Hospital, as it was $200 a night cheaper. Im self funded so its a at 14k so far, damn Insurance companys....if I have to come up with a another 2k its gonna hurt even more,lol

RR
Back to top Go down
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 03 Dec 2010, 8:19 am

Hi RR,

I was in SJOG Murdoch for 4 days (Thurs-Mon). The staff were just fantastic and couldn't do enough to help. Consider yourself really lucky if you end up in the children's ward...it soooo peaceful in there.

I had a drain and a drip when I woke up, neither hurt me to have removed (I was stressing on that). Be prepared to feel a bit yuk on the first day, I wasn't in pain but just a bit nauseated, they jumped on this quickly and gave me Maxalon in my IV.

I wish I could say to you don't be scared but its a normal response to have....so just go with the flow and trust in MR T's expertise. If you want to know anything else or to chat, just PM me...I'm happy to answer.

Jiggly x

p.s The beef/Chicken broth is disgusting.....I'm still scarred from it!

Dr A Thomas - Perth 135961
Back to top Go down
RROSSI
RROSSI

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyFri 03 Dec 2010, 6:21 am

Jigglypuff wrote:

Not only did Mr Thomas do my sleeve surgery he also removed my band (at no cost to me) that another surgeon had put in. What I like about Mr T is that he is passionate about bariatrics, he is non-judgmental, informative and a very caring Dr.

The nurses at SJOG Murodch raved about him and said, he is the one I would want operating on me....good to know ;)

I am 1 week post-op and have no pain, he is meticulous and thorough...everything you want in a surgeon. I would highly recommended Mr Thomas.

Jiggly

Hi JP

How Long were you in for if you dont mind me asking?

Im having my gut cut out by Mr T next Tuesday, not looking forward to it at all......

RR
Back to top Go down
Jigglypuff
Part of the furniture
Jigglypuff

Female
Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2010-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyThu 02 Dec 2010, 3:47 am

Not only did Mr Thomas do my sleeve surgery he also removed my band (at no cost to me) that another surgeon had put in. What I like about Mr T is that he is passionate about bariatrics, he is non-judgmental, informative and a very caring Dr.

The nurses at SJOG Murodch raved about him and said, he is the one I would want operating on me....good to know ;)

I am 1 week post-op and have no pain, he is meticulous and thorough...everything you want in a surgeon. I would highly recommended Mr Thomas.

Jiggly

Back to top Go down
forlife

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptySat 27 Mar 2010, 12:35 pm

hello all

Truely recommend Alan Thomas (SJOG Murdoch) if you are wanting to discuss Gastric Sleeve in more detail with a surgeon in Perth

My daughter was studing nursing and on her prac (3week experience at the hospital) I asked her to ask the nurses which surgeon nursing staff will choose if they needed surgery. You see I needed my gall bladder removed at the time and had just joined PHI only 4 months early to look at WLS in 12 mths time but I really need my gall bladder problem sorted first. Nursing staff recommended Alan Thomas, made an appointment and was happy to wait.

From my first visit Toni (receptionist) made me feel comfortable and Alan Thomas answered all my questions as I had never had any operations before so I was scared too, three weeks later I had a speedy recovery from having my gall bladder removed.
After at my post appointment I asked about banding and Alan discussed options with me, he spent ages explaining banding and sleeving and said if I had any more questions to come back and see him. I did several months later.
Today I just left hospital after having a gastric sleeve and I am very happy and would recommend anyone who just wants to talk about options to make an appointment with Alan Thomas or his partner C Epari (as I have heard great things about him too). I had over 7 MONTHS of research and know I have made the correct decision and yet 18mth ago I would have been the first to think I was crazy. Things happen for a reason and we sometimes need to follow the signs to make things better, as we are always being given options to take a new path
Back to top Go down
The Pocket Rocket
Part of the furniture
The Pocket Rocket

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 10:47 am

Dr Thomas removed my band on Sept 23rd and I had my post op appointment with him yesterday. He is such a nice guy and makes you feel at ease. He showed my hubby and I pics on his computer of my de-banding and explained everything.

He will do my sleeve on 21st January. I would have liked it to be earlier but he said it is not worth the risk as the chances of a leak increase a lot if you don't wait for the full 3 months for things to heal.

I'm very happy that I decided to go with him.

Marion
Back to top Go down
The Pocket Rocket
Part of the furniture
The Pocket Rocket

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyTue 15 Sep 2009, 9:03 am

Dr Thomas will be removing my band on September 23rd and he will do my sleeve in January. When I went to see him about changing over he was very helpful and talked to me for over an hour. I felt really good and confident in him when I came out.

Marion
Back to top Go down
NannaDee
NannaDee

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyMon 07 Sep 2009, 7:16 am

I had mine done with him on the 29th July 2009 and he was fantastic, would highly recommend him to anyone.

Denise
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth EmptyMon 07 Sep 2009, 6:05 am

Since this thread was first started in 2008 I was wondering how many people on here were sleeved by Alan Thomas. I know there are 2 others being done before me on Wesnesday 23rd September so wondering how many people are on here and how many are yet to find out about this wonderous place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr A Thomas - Perth   Dr A Thomas - Perth Empty

Back to top Go down

Dr A Thomas - Perth
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: The Surgeons-
Jump to: