AuthorMessage
newlifestyle888
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2009-10-08

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptySat 07 Nov 2009, 8:55 am

Hi there, I just wanted to say that I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I have had 12
weeks in hospital and tried various medications until I found the perfect mix.
You mention about not being able to eat since having the sleeve, I had the same problem
because of severe anxiety prior to the sleeve. I also couldn't sleep, I didn't know what was
happening to me, I was a real mess. But thanks to my great Drs and a fantastic hospital, I
am now a much different person.

Take Care
Vicky Anxiety 217555
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptySat 07 Nov 2009, 8:03 am

The answer to your questions is yes the antidepressants have helped me a great deal... I don't think I would be where I am now and how I feel now if it was not for them.
Take everyday as it comes, do seek counselling and try the medication..... I bet you will feel better for it.... don't force anything... take care of yourself and try and concentrate on breathing slowly when you are anxious..... things will improve, it might just take a little time for the medication to start working.... take care and let us know how you go! Anxiety 217555
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 8:24 pm

Hi Lan2k,
I know how it feels to be in the depths of a depressive illness and how all consuming it can be, however I haven't had the same anxiety you are talking about.
My youngest daughter suffers with anxiety and she did beautifully with some counselling by a psychologist and when the psych. suggested she go onto an antidepressant she was happy to try, she did notice a difference as it made her more able to cope with the anxieties and to be able to make decisions on her own. She moved back to live with her dad in her hometown and started to feel overwhelmed again, so another trip back to the doctor and a change of meds. She was 19 at the time.
There are many different antidepressant/anxiety meds available these days and I hope you will consider trying something, along with your psychological counselling , I am sure things will start to look a little brighter for you in a relatively short period of time.
You obviously took the step of having the sleeve op for health and body images, now you need to get your head in the right place so you can work for the best for your body and ultimately yourself. Forgot to ask does the counsellor know about the xanax?
I hope you find a happy place and continue to share with us. Anxiety 217555
Linda :)
Back to top Go down
LAN2k

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-06

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 8:21 pm

Everything you have said is so true. But not having a job and living alone with this anxiety is incapacitating. The anxiety has me unable to eat. I am managing/forcing only sips of a high protein juice drink 30grams protein per 15oz bottle and water one sip at a time. I have xanax to calm me but as soon as it wears off the anxiety returns with a vengence. I am in a very bad place and wish it were not so. Thank you again so very much for offering me some concern.

chrisbychic wrote:
I also suffer from depression and anxiety, but did not feel the same way as you after the op.
If the meds can help you get through this difficult time, why not? SSRIs are not addictive, and can be truly beneficial.
However, it might be useful to realise that you've had a major physical and mental upheavel in your life, and some strong reactions are to be expected. After all, food has probably been your backstop for some time, and now that's been taken away. And you're only 7 weeks out, so it's perfectly okay to feel anxious about how it's all going to work out.
But it is important to keep up your nutrition as best you can, and so it's important that you eat well. And as time goes on and you can eat more and realise that the op is doing exactly what you wanted it to do, I'm sure you'll start to feel better about it.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time, but with the help of your psych, I'm sure you'll get through this okay.
Best wishes.
Chris
Back to top Go down
OpusKV626
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 4:34 pm

I remember soon after my sleeve that I had the WTF moment so many of us talk about. I got worried about what I had done, the permanence of the body modification, would I suffer malnutrition, what would I do to cope without food now? etc. I had anxiety for about 3 days and then it subsided completely as I got used to the whole thing... especially when the pounds started to come off.

Now, combine that natural fear of the unknown with unregulated anxiety disorder. That must be insufferable. So I reach out to you. Definitely take all the medication you need to get through this. There is no shame in seeking help for psychological issues. Do what you need to do to improve your quality of life.

I did suffer anxiety in law school. It got bad enough that it was starting to affect my studies and other areas of life. I sought help and had a little "spot treatment." When things subsided, I never needed medication again... however there is no shame in seeking help and definitely some people need long term treatment. No troubles.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 3:57 pm

I also suffer from depression and anxiety, but did not feel the same way as you after the op.
If the meds can help you get through this difficult time, why not? SSRIs are not addictive, and can be truly beneficial.
However, it might be useful to realise that you've had a major physical and mental upheavel in your life, and some strong reactions are to be expected. After all, food has probably been your backstop for some time, and now that's been taken away. And you're only 7 weeks out, so it's perfectly okay to feel anxious about how it's all going to work out.
But it is important to keep up your nutrition as best you can, and so it's important that you eat well. And as time goes on and you can eat more and realise that the op is doing exactly what you wanted it to do, I'm sure you'll start to feel better about it.
I'm sorry you're having a hard time, but with the help of your psych, I'm sure you'll get through this okay.
Best wishes.
Chris
Back to top Go down
LAN2k

Female

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 3:10 pm

Yes I agree I am in a very troubled place mentally I am regretting my decision to have this surgery because before I had it I was not in this anxious and fearful frame of mind. I will likely try what my doctor/psychologist suggests because in this anxious state I am feeling rather helpless and the anxiety is preventing me from eating as best as prescribed. Thank you again.l

applesauce wrote:
Everything you are saying says a mental health issue rather than a physical problem with the sleeve. Taking the correct medication to put your head in the right frame to think things out clearly is really the best option. Take the meds offered by your doctor and give them a fair chance to work before making any firm decisions or choices in your life. You will find things go back into perspective in a matter of a few short weeks on the right meds.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
LAN2k

Female

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 2:23 pm

Thank you for taking a moment to express your concern and share a bit about your own experience with me. I don't think it is fear of eating or food, it is fear of not being able to eat. I am no longer thinking about the weight loss purpose because I am so frieghtened about what I have done to myself by having this surgery I've lost so much of my identity and I am suffering within myself. Is the antidepressant medication you are taking helping you?
mapmar wrote:
HI... I am sorry you are going through this.... I suffer from depression, not anxiety but it is an awful thing to go through. It sounds like you are you scared to eat, is that right? I would be seeing the Psychologist again and discuss your feelings about starting medication. I know what you mean about medications..... I have a list as long as my arm which I am allergic to. I am on my 3rd lot of anti-depressants and it took 5 years between the 2nd lot and to start the 3rd I was sooo blinkin scared.
Visualisation and postive thinking works for me sometimes when I get anxious or worry about something.... I hope things work out for you and you get the help you need.

Good luck and please let us know if we can help in anyway.... Anxiety 217555
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 2:06 pm

Everything you are saying says a mental health issue rather than a physical problem with the sleeve. Taking the correct medication to put your head in the right frame to think things out clearly is really the best option. Take the meds offered by your doctor and give them a fair chance to work before making any firm decisions or choices in your life. You will find things go back into perspective in a matter of a few short weeks on the right meds.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
mapmar
Top Poster
Top Poster
mapmar

Female
Number of posts : 2342
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 1:47 pm

HI... I am sorry you are going through this.... I suffer from depression, not anxiety but it is an awful thing to go through. It sounds like you are you scared to eat, is that right? I would be seeing the Psychologist again and discuss your feelings about starting medication. I know what you mean about medications..... I have a list as long as my arm which I am allergic to. I am on my 3rd lot of anti-depressants and it took 5 years between the 2nd lot and to start the 3rd I was sooo blinkin scared.
Visualisation and postive thinking works for me sometimes when I get anxious or worry about something.... I hope things work out for you and you get the help you need.

Good luck and please let us know if we can help in anyway.... Anxiety 217555
Back to top Go down
LAN2k

Female

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Anxiety   Anxiety EmptyFri 06 Nov 2009, 12:21 pm

Hi I'm 7 weeks out. I've issues with food, no hunger, repulsion, eating too little, things not going down comfortably etc. I've been suffering with severe anxiety since day one in the hospital. Has anybody had this problem. I have met with a good therapy psychologist who works with bariatric weight loss surgery patients, she suggests I go on a ssri antidepressant drug. I really would prefer not to get started with that. Normally (when I had my way with food before surgery), I am very sensitive to drugs and feel the side effects.) In this empty state where my caloric intake is so drastically low I fear I'll really have trouble with a psychotropic drug like an anti depressant. I am however taking xanax in generic form in .5 doses about 2x per day. The anxiety is unbearable at times and I know the xanax is only a temporary fix and can become habit forming hence a problem. If you are out there and can relate and have come through this please advise me. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anxiety   Anxiety Empty

Back to top Go down

Anxiety
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: