AuthorMessage
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyTue 03 Jun 2008, 8:09 am

First topic message reminder :

This is a site that I have found and feel it could be benifical for slevers as myself just follow the link As we all should know this op was 1st preformed on stomach cancer patients, Of cause when it talks of eating as much as possible this is not recommended for us trying to lose weight.
http://www.gisurgeon.com.au/pdf/gastrectomyinfosheet.doc

this nexxt one is about younger patients having this type of surgery.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=27&ContentID=22920

For those who do not know The Dr that did my op made a pouch instead of a sleeve and I am having problems, with the shape ,I feel at this time, But I am trying to find any info on the shape I have and so far have found zilch. 1 dr has written back to me and said that That to get the shape that I was given ( stomach0 it means that I should have a bypass to eliminate the problems I am having. Great NOT :pale: That is not what I wanted in the begining , but wow if it stops me feeling this poo poo house I am concidering it. If any one finds anything that might be benifical to me please email me and send me the link hansdale@alwaysonline.net.au

give em a :lol!: plug 30gigs for $30.00 a month not bad. and while your saving $$$$ try engin.com.au for a voip phone $15.00 a month and free local and long distance calls mobiles 22 min not bad ..must have broadband to get a voip phone.

thanks everyone
Fadding Aaway
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
newlife
Part of the furniture

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Apr 2009, 8:37 am

Everybody is different so I can only give examples of what I can eat. Usually I have an Up & Go for breakfast and for lunch I can fit in approx. 3/4 bread and butter plate of food ie small serve of meat plus rice or vegies, dinner about the same. I am usually not hungry between meals and don't usually get hungry at all. I get an empty feeling rather than hunger. Although I do sometimes get head hunger (desire to eat something, rather than actually being hungry). I can eat anything, no issues with bread or steak which are often problem foods for bandsters. Have a look on the post op thread, called What Did You Eat Yesterday, which will give you some examples of what people usually eat in a day. Of course the first 6 - 8 weeks there will be restrictions as per the band, ie usually liquid diet for 1st two weeks, then mushies for next two weeks, then slowly thickening or having chunkier foods until you can tolerate normal food. I don't eat more often ie six meals a day, usually I have three meals a day, plus maybe a snack for supper. You can have some snacks between meals ie piece of fruit or yogurt or something like that, but when I am at work, I don't usually snack. And you must drink plenty of water, ideally between 1.5 - 2 ltr per day. I usually drink about 1.2lt water plus 1 - 2 cups of tea or coffee (additional 400mls). Some dietitions say you can include this as your fluid, some don't because of the cafeine.

Good luck on your journey. It is absolutely the best decision I ever made.
Back to top Go down
lauren_melb
lauren_melb

Female
Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: meal quatities etc..   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 03 Apr 2009, 6:09 am

I'm most certain i will be under-going the sleeve op,but i do have a couple of questions still and would love to hear from real people who have had the procedure themselves.

how much exactly can u eat at each meal eg.for breakfast ?? 1 weetbix or 1 peice toast,real examples....and also,do you get hungrier quicker??? like do u need to eat often cos of the small quantities or does a meal satisfy until the next??

is there an foods that don't agree with the sleeve like people who have bands??
Back to top Go down
Trishthinwish
Trishthinwish

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyThu 12 Feb 2009, 9:05 am

Thanks Chris

Thats good to hear that the drains are not always used.

Cheers Trish
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyWed 11 Feb 2009, 7:57 pm

Hi Trish
I had my sleeve done by Dr T, and there were no drains. I was very glad, too, after reading other peoples' experiences having them taken out!
You've got a long wait if you can't go in until December, though. I think there's a thread around for those who have to wait a long time, you might want to check it out.
A lot of people with desk jobs have gone back to work after 2 weeks and been okay, but you do get very tired, especially around week 3ish, so if you can manage more time off it'd be great but odds are that if you're otherwise healthy, you'll manage.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
Trishthinwish
Trishthinwish

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyWed 11 Feb 2009, 10:12 am

Hi all,
I had my first consult with the the Doc (Dr Talbot's offsider, Dr Seeley) the other day and I asked about whether or not I would have drains in after the op for definite or not, and he said that he didn’t think that Dr Talbot used drains at all?? If any of you had Dr Talbot I would love to know if you did or didn’t have drains in... They scare me.
Anyway I was really hoping to get my surgery in Dec before our busy time starts at work but that would mean having it done Dec 11th and be back to work for the 23rd of Dec (12 days) . I do reception work so there’s no lifting but after speaking with him I don’t know if that will be long enough as he said 4 weeks off work would be good if I could get it.
I have had my gall bladder taken out years ago and the pain and recovery from that wasn’t too long or too bad and from what I have read it seems to be a similar time frame and pain associated with the sleeve, again, if anyone has had their gall bladder taken out I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks Trish
Back to top Go down
Mez

Female
Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyWed 10 Dec 2008, 8:13 am

Hi all

I am new to this so please be patient with me!!! I live in Adelaide and want to have the Gastric Sleeve. I have made an appt with Dr Michael France, but can not get in unitl April (DAMN!!!)- and thats just the appt. I have found another surgeon - Mr Philip Game - has anyone had him or do they know of anyone who has?

I know that Michael France did some training with him in his early days, but was unsure what he was like. I'm sooooooo desperate to have this procedure, as I cant take it anymore.....but finding a surgeon who will do it in Adelaide is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I appreciate any info you guys can give me. I have been reading you posts and they really do inspire me .

Many thanks
MEZ
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female
Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 7:18 am

Thank guys ...will keep up the 'happy pills'.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 6:38 am

Hi Suziq,
You should never stop taking your anti-depressants unless under a drs supervision and then you should only be weaned off slowly. I speak from experience here as I had to try several anti ds before finding the perfect one and coming off them can be a bit of a nightmare depending on what you take. It's definitely not a side effect you would want to have when dealing with surgery.
I have to take several meds daily, including anit ds and I have always taken them the morning of any operation with the minimal amount of water. I'm sure your dr or the nursing staff will confirm this.

Good luck with your op,

Janey
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 5:49 am

Hi Suziq

When I was banded last year I didn't have to stop taking my "happy" pills, but did stop my Vit D tablets for a couple of weeks. Just make sure you take them with you in the box they came in.

I'm currently on 4 Ostelin a day and when I get my sleeve in Feb I think I may ask for a Vit D injection as they apparently last 6 months rather than trying to take 4 little footballs a day initially with my tiny new tummy.

Good luck with you op.

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 1:32 am

Ring here
http://www.health.wa.gov.au/services/detail.cfm?Unit_ID=799

or your GP if it is still open
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySat 06 Dec 2008, 1:20 am

Hi all

Sweltering in the 31 degree heat today....suppose to be putting up Christmas Tree and decorating house and ironing. Both out now till I get back home a few days before Christmas....should have done it when I had the time. Oh well......stress is part of Christmas isn't it?

I forgot to ask when the hospital rang for admission information .....does anyone know if I have to stop taking antidepressants and Vitamin D before the surgery on Monday.? Tried to ring hospital a couple of times this morning but no answering. Any help appreciated.
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 9:25 am

Thanks for the replies regarding the red cordial.....better get myself some.
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 8:37 am

I more than cried I screamed the place down, and yet not a twinge with the sleeve so there is a good chance you will get no pain. I actually do not know the size of my sleeve. I never thought to ask. I am actually due for a visit to my surgeon, or was a month ago but with christmas just around the corner and doing so well I thought I would leave it until after christmas to see him. So will ask then.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 7:34 am

My understanding was that it as plain Anchor rasberry cordial that is good for an upset tummy. I used to give it to my son when he was a kid and it seemed to do the trick.
Back to top Go down
tracefromspace
Part of the furniture
tracefromspace

Female
Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-10-14

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 6:53 am

I had raspberry cordial - just the cottee one.

Tracy
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 05 Dec 2008, 3:36 am

Hi everyone

Can some one tell me what sort of red cordial to take for nausea.. ...is it the real fruit cordial (red current) or the ordinary cottee's red cordial.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
missdea
missdea

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 9:10 pm

Super! Thx both Gail and Apple for answer!
The peppermint-tea and heater is now on my list to bring to Stockholm.Tomorrow I'll be heading over to the pharmacy (just in case Apple) I hope I wont get the shoulder tip pain, cause I cried actually when I got it :-(

Apple, I read your answer on the thread "Longest sleever", please let me know the size of your bougie/tube. I'll have an 32 F.

Just 5 days to go until sleeve date!
Ohh, so exciting!!

Cheers Dea :-)
Back to top Go down
Gail
Part of the furniture
Gail

Female
Number of posts : 600
Registration date : 2008-09-08

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 3:54 am

Hi Dea

Another remedy for the gas pain should you get it is to ask for some peppermint water which you can sip on slowly. That and a heat pack really helped with the gas pain after I had both my lapband going in and getting taken out.

The tablets they were talking about were probably DeGas which in Australia come in both capsule and chewable tablet form. The active ingredients are:

Calcium (Carbonate) 522 MG
Magnesium Carbonate Light 68 MG
Simethicone 100 MG
Sodium Bicarbonate 63 MG

Cheers
Gail
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Dec 2008, 1:24 am

First things first just because you had gas pains once doesnt mean you will get them again. I had them once before with surgery and I swear it hurt more than the actual surgery I screamed the place down it hurt that much. After my sleeve I had ZERO gas pain. So just to let you know it might not happen again, might put your mind at rest. When somebody comes back to you with the ingredent name pop along to your local pharmacist and ask them about the tablets to help with gas pains.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
missdea
missdea

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-11-02

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyWed 03 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm

Hi y'all!
Someone mentioned an anti-gas medicine that worked well for you some day after the operation. I underwent another type of surgery 6 months ago and also felt the shoulder tip pain. I would very much not have this pain (ever) again so I would like to know the name of this pill, but since I'm in Sweden I'm quite sure we don't have the same name for pills so I need to know the active substance. I hope I'm not being too demanding and I would very much appreciate this help.
Hugs Dea

Oops - maybe this question should have been asked in the post-op instead.
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 Dec 2008, 6:16 am

Oops not going to Hungary ...just feeling hungry (sorry about the spelling)
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyMon 01 Dec 2008, 6:14 am

Hi everyone

I'm on my 11 day of Optifast intensive stage and have gone really well with no head or tummy hunger until yesterday and even more so today. My tummy is rumbling, squelching and I'm feeling hungary. Although I will not break it (too scared.....fatty liver) it worries me as I have 7 days to go. Is this normal....maybe I should beef up the water?
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySun 30 Nov 2008, 8:39 am

Hi Kalgirl, they are dolphins, part of the reason I chose it, I just love them and I love the ocean, swimming or being near it, very theraputic. Will go and have a look at the question thread, thanks
Back to top Go down
kalgirl
Part of the furniture
kalgirl

Female
Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySat 29 Nov 2008, 5:20 am

in the Pre-op section, the 4th sticky down is a thread - List of questions for your surgeon

i think it could definitely do with an update, considering Jo's drama with pouch shape/size and the disgusting
feedback from some members who have surgeons that no longer take their calls.

as you shop for a surgeon, i would ask each if they have a surgical book that prospective patients are given.
my surgeon's book is detailed (both pre and post expectations,) outlines the surgery itself and the stages patients need to go thru before surgery.

it has a detailed pre and post dietry section from the dietician/nutritionist, as well as the sports physiologist.
there is room for photos and a journal space, plus a place to keep track of appointments with his team.
it became my 'bible' and has been an excellent reference for not only myself, but my family to read.

as most of you are spending many thousands of dollars on this surgery, i would feel that the least a good surgeon
would do was provide, at a minimum, a small amount of literature about the GSV, and you post-op needs.

Purple, i hadn't noticed before, but are those tiny dolphins spinning in your avatar? pretty!
Back to top Go down
purplehaze
purplehaze

Female
Number of posts : 117

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptySat 29 Nov 2008, 4:46 am

It would be great if we could compile a list of questions for the surgeon when considering the sleeve, for example
How do they know what size to do the sleeve (its apparently callibrated/measured using a gastroscopic tube?)
How do I take my pills after surgery
What are the dietary requirements
What is the post op follow up
What is the process for pre-op both in the few weeks lead up and the preparation for surgery
What are the things that may go wrong with the sleeve i.e sleeve too big, leak, stretching
What are the risks of infection

Most of these question I got of here and through reading all the different threads
Back to top Go down
suziq1040

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 EmptyFri 28 Nov 2008, 7:51 am

Thanks everyone for your replies
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Questions Thread-Ask Here!   The Questions Thread-Ask Here! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Questions Thread-Ask Here!
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next