Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.

Go down 
+6
pf337
Tempest
Countrygirl
Kyles
*Lib*
zoey1176
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Max
Part of the furniture
Max

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2009-03-19

I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptySun 18 Oct 2009, 3:37 pm

I;m another,

Do not regret it for one minute, while the road is still at times tough, still no regrets.
Best thing I ever did for myself, now to see myself maintain it for the rest of my life.

Max
Back to top Go down
Cuddly Kat
Part of the furniture
Cuddly Kat

Female
Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptySat 17 Oct 2009, 2:08 am

Hi Zoey

I was sleeved 3 months ago and I have no regrets. Good to see you doing your research first, this is such a great site for info, diaries, people 1 year post sleeve, what people eat now post sleeve etc. Also good to know what you need to do after the op with progressing back through liquids, mushies, back onto solid food. You have to be determined to make the changes required eg doing Optifast before the op, slooowly introducing foods back afterwards, but I've lost over 20kg in 3 months eating healthy food, no gimmicks, minimal exercise (a few walks, have just joined a gym to be firmer for the next 20ks lol) but yes, the sleeve can give excellent weight loss results and most importantly losing weight and eating better gives you your health back, so you FEEL BETTER!!! Good luck with your research.
cheers, Kat
Back to top Go down
allieswans
Part of the furniture
allieswans

Female
Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyFri 16 Oct 2009, 10:12 pm

Hi Zoey

I had my surgery almost 10 weeks ago and have lost 61lbs. Best thing I have ever done. Apart of a little nausea on the first night I had no pain.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyFri 16 Oct 2009, 8:10 pm

Hi Zoey and welcome to the forum
There is heaps of information here about the surgery and the costs, but the financial end is mostly Australian.
Like the others have said, do your research - read the diaries and the pre and post op threads, and check with your insurance company and doctors re prices.
I had my surgery 16 months ago and have not regretted it for an instant, despite having some problems (minor, really) in the beginning.
My stats are in the signature below, and details in my diary.
Best of luck making your decision.
Chris
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyWed 07 Oct 2009, 2:55 pm

p. s. dragonfairy is from Houston also.....smart lady...
Back to top Go down
pf337

Female
Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2009, 3:17 pm

I am 6 1/2 month out. I had to pay out of pocket. $13,000.00. My insurance does not touch any weight loss surgery. My first thought was band but I am soooo very happy I found this site. My doctor was very pleased I decided to sleeve and not band. Everyone is different, so it important you do your homework. I have never looked back.

I remember, soon after surgery, thinking I am not dropping weight like everyone else in the first month (I did drop, just not as much as I had hoped. Then I got to thinking, I have never lost weight in the beginning of a diet. Sure enough, week 4 or so, the pounds started falling off.

I have gotten sick a couple of times...bread was the cause. Your body will let you know when to stop. Sounds strange but it does. Main concern I had was the size of my new tummy. Everyone I spoke to had a very tiny tummy and my dr. wanted me to have a 36. I wanted at the very least a 34, but my dr would not hear of it so thats what I got. She believes that is the reason I have not gotten sick.....

I was VERY tired soon after surgery. Some can go back to work in a week and you do feel much better. I am a morning person so my day would start off with a bang, but for about 2 to 3 weeks about 2 in the afternoon I would take a nap. (it would not have to be a long nap but i needed rest).

I had my surgery on March 31 2009. I have lost 48 pounds and I am 2 pounds to goal. I will see my dr on Oct 14. I wanted to reach my goal by 6 months (sept 30) but who cares.......nothing bothers me now.....

good luck....Do your HOMEWORK.....
Back to top Go down
Tempest
Sponsor
Tempest

Female
Number of posts : 3694
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2009, 12:17 pm

Hi Zoey,
Welcome aboard,
I am almost 6 weeks post op and would do it again in a heart beat.
I am already healthier and happier than I have been for years and years.
Back at work in 6 days no side effects for me at all.
Total cost after private health was $2,000 out of pocket expenses.

Take care and good luck with your decision what ever that may be
Cheers Gail
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2009, 5:34 am

Hi ya

I am the same as Kyles and only 13 days out so can't offer anything long term, but so far it has been fantastic. I was back at work and driving by day 8. Was looking forward to a two week break but am coping just fine. Sometimes get a little woohoo in the head and tired but otherwise it's all good. I've also had a hysterectomy where they basically cut me from hip to hip and this is 10 times easier. I would definately do it again if I had to.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2009, 4:31 am

Heyho :)

I cant offer a lot of advice as I am only 13 days out from surgery...however I feel great (most of the time...lol I'm just tired lately) and so far I do not regret it...surgery for me was awesome...no issues, no pain at all and a great recovery

I was wanting the band but I am so happy I changed my mind and went with the sleeve :)

OOP costs have been $5000 for me + the cost of PHI over the 12 months of about $800...but thats ozzie dollars too

Good luck with the decision
Back to top Go down
*Lib*
Top Poster
Top Poster
*Lib*

Female
Number of posts : 1594
Registration date : 2009-03-31

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2009, 3:53 am

Cost's vary between countries and Dr's. I was about $8000 out of pocket, nearly 6 months out I am healthier and happier than I have ever been. For the first couple of months I wondered what had I done to myself, but looking back, I would never ever reattaching my stomach (if it was possible) This is a life altering surgery, and my life is so much better for it. Have a look through the gallery and read peoples diarys to get some inspiration. Worked for me!! Also try this forum, its American, it might have the answers to the cost side of things: http://verticalsleevetalk.com/index.php
*Mods please remove that link if you don't want it there!*
Back to top Go down
zoey1176

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-06

PostSubject: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. EmptyTue 06 Oct 2009, 3:04 am

Hi, I am interested in the sleeve but, I would like to know the cost and any side effects that are felt? Also would you do it again?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.   I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please. Empty

Back to top Go down

I want the gastric sleeve, but not sure. Anyone help please.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: