11 posters
AuthorMessage
pretzel.1970
pretzel.1970

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-29

Op best in AM or PM? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 2:11 pm

Im not in until 2pm but I do like the idea of sleeping right through - will let you know soon if it works (my ops tomorrow)
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male
Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 12:11 pm

Ahhh! I think I like the upside with an all night sleep..... like I have a choice???? :lol:
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 6:56 am

I have to agree with Debbie there is an upside, very frustrating the wait but the bonus is that you tend to just be out of it for the rest of the day night in one hit. Okay to noisy for me as I was in ICU. But at least I had one on one nurse to keep me company hehehehe

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 6:51 am

Hey, asnewme, good luck with that.
I didn't know until the Friday (my op was on the Monday) where I was on the list.
Because I have diabetes, and take insulin, I was second. Then, when they found out that I was also possibly going to have a problem with the painkillers, they put me first. I think they decide based on complications, or possible complications and current medical problems.
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
wings

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyTue 22 Jul 2008, 5:31 am

Hi Oldfart

Well it would be great to be one of the first to get it done....the waiting plays havoc with your brain, major stress what with no food!!
I didn't get in till nearly 5pm and i was nearly redy to bolt out the door!!!

But the up side of that was that coz the surgery was later and with the recover period, i slept through the first night and before you know it it's the next day!

Everything has an up side i guess

Debbie
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Reminder to ask for first thing in AM   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyMon 21 Jul 2008, 8:14 pm

Thanks oldfart- I am putting a reminder on my calendar to ask the surgeons for first thing on September 8. They are booking August, so I hope I will be able to pick the time for my date.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyMon 21 Jul 2008, 7:29 pm

Maybe it will work the other way now, and you'll lose weight - I'm so used to these tiny meals now!
I won't trust Aussie Post - I'll just send it by telekinesis, okay? Here it comes - ready?
:afro:
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyMon 21 Jul 2008, 11:50 am

Thanks I will expect it next week, I just hope you dont put on weight while residing in my brain cavity :lol:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 7:31 pm

Oh, oldfart, if only you knew what you were asking for! LOL
Actually, my brain is mush - especially at the moment, while I am sick.
My mum asked me to remind her of something the other day - I just looked at her and laughed! I'm the one who needs reminding, you see - often of something I've just said!!!
But if it helps, I'll package it up and send if over...you're welcome to it!
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySun 20 Jul 2008, 1:07 pm

Yo Chris can I borrow that level headed brain of yours for a 6 weeks or so .... pretty please????
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 7:53 pm

That's a shame, oldfart, but worth the wait to save that much money.
Just try to keep your brain occupied, and the time will pass more quickly.
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 2:52 pm

Hah!
I knew it, I knew it, the morning win's the debate ........... guess what I had to knock back first place ...... I was originaly given first cab off the rank on the day, but not with my "gasman" (considerably cheaper) who was only on arvo's that day, so I had to get it changed :( he is less expensive ......... how much you ask (enough to pay for my hospital excess for a 5 day stay) so I guess I just have to replace one lot of anxiety and stress for another eh! :roll:
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 10:35 am

both the male of the species where first up at Fremantle and everybody was set to go and then there was NO bed both times. It took until lunch time to find and ICU bed for me and a ward bed for Adrian. They will not let you go to theatre until a bed has been alocated. I think that is why there is a big hold on the surgery there at the moment, lack of bed's. A surgeon agree's to give his time to do the surgery etc and instead of being there for the 90 minutes it turns into 5 hours while they juggle beds

applesauce
Back to top Go down
jacquilove77

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 9:22 am

i was scheduled for 11am and at the hospital at 7am, but for some reason it got switched to earlier which was great, i had only just started to get nervous by that stage. didn't have time for sedatives or whatever they give you, but it seemed like i only just got in and next thing i know was partially conscious waking up in my recovery bed. the speed at which it all happened was very merciful!
Back to top Go down
nevergiveup
nevergiveup

Female
Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 8:31 am

I was first on the list for my op in the morning which was great as I didn't have time to freak out and run away (which I well could have done). Also as my op took longer (3 hours) it pushed the other patients back later - I would have hated that if I was them. Because then I would have had more time to stress out and also I'm sure that I would have thought - what went wrong with their first patient and will that happen to me!?!
I am a pretty uptight worrywort type of person though. It probably wouldn't have fazed more relaxed and easygoing type of people.
Pam
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 4:21 am

I was supposed to be second on the afternoon lisst but was pusheed back to third.....didnt go in to about 3.30 i think. The afternoon does cause alot of waiting around. Like steph said you fast through the night so you dont need to get hungry. I fasted from 6am so you can imagine how hungry and thirsty i was by 3.30.

Go the morning if you can get it.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 4:00 am

My surgery was meant to be at 2pm but because the first 2 went so smoothly when I arrived at the hospital they said they were ready for me at 12 but the receptionist at the surgery had only told me to fast from 8am so I had to tell them that it had only been 4 hours since I had brekky. They then went to see if the last on the list had arrived and she went through before me so I had to wait until 3.15 before I went in to theatre.

Moral of story: make sure you fast earlier than needed just in case !!
Back to top Go down
Shanna
Sponsor
Shanna

Female
Number of posts : 633
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Go for the morning   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 3:35 am

Here is why I like the morning-

If the surgeon's run into trouble with their morning patients you can end up waiting 5 or 6 hours getting nervous or worse getting pushed back till the following day

You are more likely to have to stay over an extra night because of the late start-

once I had an operation that was supposed to be at 1 in the afternoon get pushed back to 6:30. Not good at all
Back to top Go down
Bee
Bee

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 12:20 am

With my lapband I was last on the list, not done till late afternoon, with the sleeve I was very first up! On the table at 8am! AM is soooo much better like the others said, no waiting around, you don't have time to stress out and think 'what if...what if this....", your just done! Plus waking up is alot better! When done in the afternoon I didnt wake up properly until 11pm, and by then the night nurses were on and were super busy. In the AM I woke up properly at about 6pm, and it was so much easier!

Bee
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 7:15 pm

Hi oldfart
I'm with steph - prefer early.
I was booked in to go in second, and then they changed it to first. How lucky was that? It's because I'm diabetic and on insulin, and also have a bad reaction to painkillers - they have to take those things into account.
Even so, I had to wait heaps longer than expected because the surgeon was held up after a traffic accident, so we didn't kick off until an hour later than we should have.
The waiting is the worse thing that day, I think, because it allows the nerves to get to you.
Having said that, I don't know that you'll get much choice when you go in.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 1:08 pm

Hi Oldfart,

I was last on list for day and would much rather have preferred to have been first off the rank.

1. No sitting around waiting room for hours sh.....ting yourself.
2. You fast overnight and get the op over and done with and don't spend the day starving.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
oldfart
oldfart

Male

PostSubject: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 12:15 pm

Okay so I was wondering if you "sleeved" folk can fill me in on the percieved pro's / cons of either a morning or afternoon operation which would be preferable and why in your opinion
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Op best in AM or PM?   Op best in AM or PM? Empty

Back to top Go down

Op best in AM or PM?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: