Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyWed 26 Aug 2009, 6:05 am

It will not be the doctor discharging you it will be the hospital and 7am is one of the times they are run off their feet the most. so getting somebody to actually discharge you in a timely manner might be rather difficult. Check directly with the ward you will be on if this will be possible or not. Get all your drugs you will need from your own GP BEFORE you fly to Perth so you do not have to wait on drugs for discharge will help. Most I know discharge with tramadol and somac. good to have both even if you never need them. Also to have pandol capsuletes the tiny ones at home as well as tramadol doesnt work well at all unless done with the pandol.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female
Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyWed 26 Aug 2009, 5:30 am

Thanks for that jillybean. I have spoken to Dr Thomas' office and she is going to talk to him before I book the return flight cause it's non refundable. As long as I am discharged by 7am it will work out ok. I really didn't want to spend a night in a hotel by myself before the flight.

So what we (I) have planned is flight from Albany to Perth arrive in Perth 9.05am Wednesday 23rd September, getting to the hospital by 10am. They will possibly put my surgery last so plenty of time there. Return is a little harder but hopefully it will go like this. Discharged 7am Sunday 27th September to arrive at airport no later than 8 am for 9am flight. Home by 10am and in bed by 11am. But does anything ever go to plan? I will have a word with the airline to see the latest I can check in. Shouldn't be an issue. I am a positive thinker.

I am hoping the sleep doctor can see me on the morning of surgery.
Back to top Go down

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyWed 26 Aug 2009, 5:22 am

are you using the PATS scheme countrygirl? If not, you should be!
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyWed 26 Aug 2009, 4:50 am

Hi Countrygirl

Before booking the return flight I would make sure Dr Allan Thomas knows you have a plane to catch on discharge as the Moth had his op with Dr Epari (these surgeons work in together) on July 20th and he was to be discharged on the Thursday after Dr Thomas had been into see him. Dr Thomas finally turned up to see him at 8.30pm on the Thursday night so was discharged after that. We thought he would have been discharged by 10.30am as it says on the wall chart in the ward. So perhaps you had better check the discharge time with the Doctor. It appears the Doctors come in at any time that suits around their schedule for the day.

Good luck and keep us posted.
hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyWed 26 Aug 2009, 4:25 am

That's an excellent idea about the wheelchair CG. I'd definitely book one.

After all if you can't milk the fact that you've just had major surgery, when can you? Use it to it's full advantage and take it as easy as you can.

Best of luck,
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyWed 26 Aug 2009, 3:55 am

Thanks for that guys. I am fine about the trip up, just a little nervous about getting discharged in time to make it to the airport 60 min before departure. Also wondering whether I should put down for a wheelchair as at least that way I can get on board first and if I am feeling a little weak won't have to walk to the plane. How much can you lift after the op? Suitcase shouldn't be too heavy but it I take the laptop is could be 10-15 kgs.
Back to top Go down

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 2:37 pm

roughly 30 minutes non peak hour and it's about $50.00 one way in the taxi.
Back to top Go down
chook00
Part of the furniture
chook00

Female
Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:05 am

Hey Country Girl

I am sure you have probably thought of this point, prior to my surgery I didn't realise I needed to make an appointment to see my Anesthetist, fortunately I was able to see her in hosiptal, but had to be there earlier, it was better than coming to Perth earlier. So just thought I'd mention it.
Cheers Chook
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 6:25 am

Oh and BTW, there is usually a fairly long line waiting for taxis early in the morning at the airport, so allow some extra time for that too.
Back to top Go down
newlife
Part of the furniture
newlife

Female
Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 6:22 am

My parents live in Murdoch, I would allow at least 30mins (non peak hour) and make sure the taxi driver turns left on Tonkin Hwy, then turn right on Roe Hwy follow that all the way to Kwinana Freeway exit (the end of Roe) then turn right on Kwinana up to South St (next exit) turn left and then left on Murdoch Drive which is the next set of lights (St Johns at Murdoch is pretty much on the corner of Kwinana and South St, this will beat the traffic lights and is a lot quicker than going down Leach Hwy even though the distance may be a bit longer. The old trip along Leach and Tonkin before Roe was built use to take 40mins (non peak hour).
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 5:52 am

Hi CG.

I would imagine about 20 minutes tops but I would budget some extra time for heavy morning traffic and allow half an hour.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 5:47 am

Cool. A buddy for me. How long do you expect to be in hospital for? I see you are from ACT but having the surgery in Canberra. Got family to visit you in Hospital?
Back to top Go down
Kyles
Part of the furniture
Kyles

Female
Number of posts : 932
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 5:36 am

Hi Countrygirl

I cant help you with flights but saw we are surgery twins...its nice to have someone else to go through on the same day to compare notes with
Back to top Go down
Countrygirl
Part of the furniture
Countrygirl

Female

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Perth People   Perth People EmptyTue 25 Aug 2009, 4:09 am

Can any of you guys tell me how long it would take to get a taxi from/to Domestic Airport to St John of God Murdoch Hospital. Due to my hubbies workload I have to do it all on my own and fly up and back. Trying to work in surgery times and discharge around flights.

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Perth People Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perth People   Perth People Empty

Back to top Go down

Perth People
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: