Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
lisab
Part of the furniture
lisab

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-04

My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 12:48 pm

Hi Christie,
I didnt have any out of pocket expenses to get the band out other than the excess payment (amount depends on your health fund) because I used the same surgeon who put the band in and he doesnt charge for any further band related surgeries, thank god as I'd be in serious debt now to pay for them all.
Yes I did have a similar experience to you with the band except the most weight I ever lost was 14kgs.. During the first 3yrs they did all the tests and kept telling me that everything was fine and that it was me eating to much that was the problem until I was rushed to hospital with a blockage that wouldnt clear so they performed surgery and realised the tests were wrong and that the band had in fact slipped alot. Then with the second band I just could never tolerate any fill at all, not even the smallest amount, everything I ate would get stuck ( except for all the bad things like chips, chocolate, biscuits etc) I would constantly vomit and just generally feel like crap.. My health really suffered with the band, my diabetes got worse as I couldnt eat healthy foods, my iron deficiency became chronic resulting in me having to have a hysterectomy. I now have very bad vitamin D deficiency, fibromyalgia, my blood pressure is out of control and I have suffered from severe deression and literally became a hermit who hardly ever left my house ....
So for me the decision to have the sleeve was kind of easy , as things really couldnt get worse
although I did take a while to organise the Doctors appointments and to arrange to get my band out but now the time is flying by and in November , I will be sleeved and hopefully on my way to a new healthy life...

Take your time, do your research (read this site it will answer all the questions you will have) and whatever decision you make
Good Luck..

Lisab
Back to top Go down
Mahical
Mahical

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-08-19

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 9:01 am

Hi Lisa,
Were there any out of pocket expenses for having the band out? So glad you're feeling better already, did you have similar symptoms to me? Can't wait to be feeling better than this! Did you have a hard decision to go with the sleeve? Tuesday was the first time I have really ever heard about it so still a little wary I guess?
Thanx for replying.....*smile* there is hope for me yet!!

Christie
Back to top Go down
lisab
Part of the furniture
lisab

Female
Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 8:17 am

Hi Christie,
I just had my band out on Monday, and I feel better already, it took 2 hrs to get the band out as I had alot of adhesions due to having the band for six yrs and having 3 surgeries to replace the band or the port.
I am getting a different surgeon to do the sleeve operation as my old surgeon doesnt do sleeves, so it is costing me around $4000 out of pocket, but some who have had the same Doctor for the sleeve as the band havent had any further out of pocket expenses. So you really should ring your Doctors office and they should be able to tell you exactly what your costs will be..

Good Luck
Lisab
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 4:51 am

Hi Christie

I took 3 weeks off work with my sleeve because I had heaps of adhesions from the band removal which the Surgeon had to painstakingly part before he could do the sleeve so I was a bit sore but the MOTH has just had his done on the 20th July and he had 2 weeks off work. He was very tired when he got home after his first week at work and was falling asleep on the couch at 6pm. He hardly had any pain and he has recovered well. It's amazing that they take 3/4 stomach out and you feel so good. In saying that some people do have a few problems. The Surgeons like to give the stomach a break of approx 3 mths before doing the sleeve. If you read in Janey's diary you will find how she went - she had the band out in January and the sleeve done in May.

I am sure you will do well Christie - its the best thing I have ever done and to have that foreign object out of my body just feels great. Good luck, keep reading and keep us posted on your progress.
Hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
Mahical
Mahical

Female

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 3:30 am

Five and a half hours!! Wow, that's huge. I'm fairly sure when I go in tomorrow the decision will be to have the band out. Then I have 8 - 10 weeks apparently before they will do the sleeve. What was your recovery time like for the sleeve.

Thanx for taking the time to reply.

Christie
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyThu 20 Aug 2009, 2:18 am

Hi Mahical and welcome

I have had practically the same experience as you - I had to have my band out under an emergency op because I was vomiting and couldn't keep liquids down and they found it had twisted around multiple organs in my body (took 5 and half hours to get it out). I have now had the sleeve and find it much better. At least you can eventually eat what you want only in smaller portions.

As Janey has said you will have to check with your Surgeon what the out of pocket costs are as they all differ so much. The other half, the MOTH has just had a sleeve in Perth and the out of cost Surgeon fee was $2300.00 where as I had mine done in Townsville and the Surgeons out of cost was $3500.00 and that doesn't include the Gas man.

Have a read of all the posts. You will find lots of useful info here and if you have any questions ask away.
hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
Mahical
Mahical

Female

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 9:18 am

Thank you _ I will read your diary!
Christie
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 8:23 am

Hi and welcome Mahical.

The sleeve beats the band hands down. Feel free to read my diary for how I coped with band removal and consequent sleeving.

You will probably be out of pocket for the op. The amount depends on your fund, your surgeon and lots of other factors. I would check with his secretary/receptionist to find out exactly how much. It should be a doddle for her/him to let you know.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Mahical
Mahical

Female

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 6:56 am

Thank you, will do!
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 6:54 am

read through as much of the whole website as you can, there are links to youtube clips that show the op, and lots of info. The price is dependant on your surgeon, hospital, PHI and anathatist used, you need to talk to your Dr. about this one, Sorry I can't answer that but the other answers are around on the site. Take a browse, and read for yourself!
Back to top Go down
Mahical
Mahical

Female

PostSubject: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... EmptyWed 19 Aug 2009, 6:33 am

Hi,
I have really no idea what that even means. I haven't been able to eat food for nine days now - my band has absolutely nothing in it and they can't find anything wrong with it. Really really sick of thin fluids!! I have had the swallow xray, the barium meal xray and a gastroscopy - have just been released form hospital after two days of rehydration.

My surgeon has said if there is no improvement by Friday - I have an appt with him - then we're taking the band out and he wants me to consdier getting a sleeve done. What does this mean?!
I have private health insurance now - is there much out of pocket cost for this? I have had so many issues with my band over the last 18mths I would like to not have to be sick and in pain all the time! I had lost 57 kgs with the band but in the last year have put 20 kgs back on.

Desperate to be issue free!
Any info on your experiences or someone who has been through something similar would be much appreciated - seems I have a decision in front of me.

Thanx!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....   My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve.... Empty

Back to top Go down

My surgeon wants to replace my band with a sleeve....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: From Band To Sleeve-
Jump to: