8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mystical
Mystical

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-04-27

Decision about which way to pay for sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Band removal date 16/06/2017   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySun 14 May 2017, 2:42 am

Hi Sven2015,

Thanks so much for your reply Decision about which way to pay for sleeve 120705

I am new to the sight and have been battling with my weight all my life and for the last 10+ years have had knee problems which have been extremely bad lately, x-ray results last week said: "sever tri-compartmental arthritis of the knees" which essentially means I need a total knee replacement but they generally don't like to do those until you are in your sixties. I am 43yrs old and find it extremely painful to walk or exercise... it is time to get serious and do something about my weight so hopefully that will make a difference to my knees and health in general...

I saw my doctor and got a referral to see Dr Wolven (I had already researched him, but your reply confirmed that I wanted to see him). I was extremely lucky when I rang to make an appointment that they had just had a cancellation and I got into see him on 2/05/2017, he sent me for bloods and x-rays and I returned to see him the next week and set a date to remove the band.

Removal date for the band is 16/06/2017, 5 weeks away. I will have to wait 4 months after the band removal before the sleeve can be done so hopefully I can be sleeved in November...

I saw your other post and am glad your surgery went well and your are feeling good, wishing you well in your journey.

Decision about which way to pay for sleeve 618285
Back to top Go down
Sven2015

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2017-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyThu 27 Apr 2017, 9:02 pm

Mystical- hi
I had my band removed by dr knot- I found him to be wonderful I was sick at the time and he was great- I hated my band and when I got so unwell 13 months ago I asked him to take it out and he agreed due to how unwell I was- I had to be flown out with rfds from where I live.
However when I decided to go for a sleeve I looked around and found Dr Ben Woolven and he has done over 700 sleeves- he said that dr knot does a wonderful clean job and is a fantastic surgeon so he is not worried about how my stomach has been left post surgery having band removed .
It has changed a lot since I had my band in canberra my Dr down there was also fantastic and has a different set up there now a suite entirely for bariatric surgery but to begin with it wasn't and he had this receptionist who looked down her nose at all the over weight people and wa a really awful.
I went in to se Dr Woolven and everything was in the one office- bloods booking, dietitian and because I live remotely they just made it all happen in the one day.
He did say that after having a band out you have to wait so many months but mine has been put now for over a year.
I have two weeks til I go in for band- I recommend the skinny jeans book (American Dr can't remember his name) and complete nutrition guide for weight loss surgery by Sally Johnson.
He is at gardens medical centre edgehill.
Wishing you well!
Back to top Go down
Mystical
Mystical

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2017-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyThu 27 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm

Sven2015 wrote:
Hello,
I have an appointment in Cairns on Wednesday with a surgeon- i'm looking at having a sleeve done. Hopefully i will get a date on Wednesday.
I have been reading a book called "skinny jeans...at last" it by an American surgeon and has some great information around habit changing behaviours and using the sleeve as a tool!
I had a band for about 7 years and went from 136kgs down to 99kgs over that time- i had the band removed last year as i had some complications- i thought i would be okay but in the last 12 months I've gone from 99kgs to 122kgs. I know i did not do the work required when i had the band and i always felt like a failure having it in and i did not use it to its best ability.
However things have changed in my life in the last 2-3 years and i am a very different person to even 12 months ago and i now that i can make this work and be successful.
Anyway i just wanted to chat to other people who might be starting this journey or who have been on this journey for a longer time to.
I will be having surgery in Cairns- anyone else in NQ?
Cheers-
Happy Sunday

Hi Sven2015,

I'm in Cairns, just wondering what Dr you are seeing in Cairns.. I currently have a lap band which I hate and have put up with for over 10yrs, I am thinking about having it removed and am not sure what drs in Cairns deal with bands and sleeves.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Treen
Treen

Female
Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySun 26 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

Wow 6 weeks of optimist if you can do that the rest will be a walk in the park. I have a scope on Wednesday. Getting nervous but just want it done so I can get on with it.
Can't wait for my new life to start.
Back to top Go down
Sven2015

Female

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySun 26 Mar 2017, 4:27 am

I work in the health industry too and I find that its the same with people taking medications for mental illness- fine to take a medication that lowers the cholesterol but not one for mental illness. We live a very judgemental society.
Anyway I'm really excited for everyone setting out on this journey and taking control back of their health and body. I can't wait to walk up a flight of stairs without puffing and panting and yes buying clothing will be very different- bring on not having to search the department stores for the "plus size"!!!
I have to do 6 weeks of optifast!! But I'm told everyone is different.
Back to top Go down
Treen
Treen

Female

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyFri 24 Mar 2017, 11:00 pm

Yep in for 15th of may optfast from the 1st for 2 weeks before the surgery. You are right it is none of there business healthy and able to be there for your kids is important and a set a good example. I find naturally thin people have the problem.Just do some excersise its not that hard they say. Really kills me most of the time these thin people eat what they want and do less excersise than I do and are just thin. I got so frustrated with a work mate the other day. (There was an article in the paper about gastric surgery) I went through exactly what I eat and the excersise I do her response was well you must be lying because if you actually do more excersise than me and eat less than I do you could not be that big!!!!!!!
After all the money I have spent on diets and excersise programs over the years and all the time I have put into meal preps counting carbs ect I deserve to be a healthy weight. I work in the healthcare industry its ok for me to take insulin for diabetes and medication for my high blood pressure but if I want surgery to get rid on the diabetics and high blood pressure its wrong. Other people make no sense and judge us. Women can be so mean. 
Sorry rant over.
15th start of my new life those judge and jury people can go to hell. I'm going to the shops to get clothes off the rack in a chain store. 
Country Road size 14 here I come.
Back to top Go down
Sven2015

Female

PostSubject: Surgery Date   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyFri 24 Mar 2017, 11:49 am

Well i had my appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday and it went really well!
He was lovely and so were all his staff... such a difference from when i had my band put in 2006!
I know there is still a lot of stigma and stuff but i have decided that it is none of anyones business this time- and the negative opinions do not matter.
What matters is tat i am healthy to take care of my children and be active and show them a good example to follow.
I had everything done at my appointment- bloods, dietitian, GP, bookings, superannuation forms- it was really well organised and my date is 11/5/17 and I'm really excited. I have to do 6 weeks of opti fast and loss 10 kgs...
My Surgeon said that the Dr who removed my band leaves the area really clean and tidy inside and that is great for him and because i have left it a whole year there will be less risk of complications than if i had of just waited 4 months- so that is wonderful.

greenfrog- i understand and i think its very sensible to say what you have- things happen that are out of our control- i personally would not want to take the risk but that is just me and i guess everyone is comfortable with different risk levels.

Treen- are you having your surgery on that date? I am the same if it was that easy as to just stop eating and exercise i wouldn't have been morbidly obese for more than 3/4 of my life.... wishing you'll the very best for surgery and beyond- were are you having it done?

Aniseed- thank you for you kind words! I'm looking forward to sharing my journey.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyMon 20 Mar 2017, 3:32 am

I do feel like a baddy itsallhappening for being the wait a year person.  But I feel I have to say it, just in case. 
Anyway, hopeully nothing goes wrong for anyone whent hey have the surgery!!
Back to top Go down
Treen
Treen

Female

PostSubject: Date 15th April   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySun 19 Mar 2017, 5:36 am

hi I am booked in for the 15th April. It's great to see others going through this. Not everyone is supportive. Telling me its the easy way out just stop eating crap and do some excersise. If only it was that easy I would have done it years ago.
Can't wait to read your stories and advice.
Back to top Go down
Aniseed
Aniseed

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2017-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySun 19 Mar 2017, 2:15 am

Sven2015 wrote:
Hello,
I have an appointment in Cairns on Wednesday with a surgeon- i'm looking at having a sleeve done. Hopefully i will get a date on Wednesday.
I have been reading a book called "skinny jeans...at last" it by an American surgeon and has some great information around habit changing behaviours and using the sleeve as a tool!
I had a band for about 7 years and went from 136kgs down to 99kgs over that time- i had the band removed last year as i had some complications- i thought i would be okay but in the last 12 months I've gone from 99kgs to 122kgs. I know i did not do the work required when i had the band and i always felt like a failure having it in and i did not use it to its best ability.
However things have changed in my life in the last 2-3 years and i am a very different person to even 12 months ago and i now that i can make this work and be successful.
Anyway i just wanted to chat to other people who might be starting this journey or who have been on this journey for a longer time to.
Cheers-
Happy Sunday

Welcome!

Don't feel like a failure...we've all been there and even this is just another tool we have to learn how to use properly.
At least now you know where you went wrong and hopefully you won't do the same this time.

Congrats on actually keeping your weight below your initial starting point! I'll have to read that book...I think it's mentioned in a sticky post on here! :)

Looking forward to sharing the start of your new exciting journey with you!
Back to top Go down
Sven2015

Female

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySun 19 Mar 2017, 2:06 am

Hello,
Cheers-
Happy Sunday
Back to top Go down
Aniseed
Aniseed

Female

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySat 18 Mar 2017, 8:22 pm

Itsallhappening wrote:
Hi Greenfrog, I have decided to wait the 12 months with PHI which has made me feel much better about my decision now. It gives me time to get my head straight and save a heaps of money. I have been reading forums and speaking with actual people in my life about their experience with the Sleeve with all good comments. they are around 8 months post op. 

Good luck Gleni with your op next month. I totally agree with you about the balloon, i looked into that as well for a "kickstart" but then thought what about when the balloon is removed?? that I would go straight back into my old eating habits. I too lack willpower. I think from all my research that the Sleeve will be the way to go for me.

Aniseed, how did your consultation go on Thursday? Is it the go ahead for you?

Morning all!

itsallhappening - Yep, Thursday's appointment was the gastroscopy. Now done and dusted and counting down until surgery date. I have one phone interview with a dietician (next week or the week after) and one more appointment with the surgeon next month. I'm trying to watch what I eat and telling myself that I really can't financially afford those yummy foods. Starting to prepare myself...but I'll be glad when I'm not starving all the time because portion control is so hard! It must be good to have so much support around you...lots of people who really do understand and are able to answer your questions. The next twelve months will fly for you!

Gleni - welcome and good luck! I too looked into the balloon and the band. My surgeon said he rarely does bands anymore. It's only if someone desperately wants one because someone they know has one or something. I also thought 6 months was not enough. I've also had hypertension issues but I went off medication for it last year. Hopefully you'll be off yours soon too!
Back to top Go down
Itsallhappening

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySat 18 Mar 2017, 3:21 am

Hi Greenfrog, I have decided to wait the 12 months with PHI which has made me feel much better about my decision now. It gives me time to get my head straight and save a heaps of money. I have been reading forums and speaking with actual people in my life about their experience with the Sleeve with all good comments. they are around 8 months post op. 

Good luck Gleni with your op next month. I totally agree with you about the balloon, i looked into that as well for a "kickstart" but then thought what about when the balloon is removed?? that I would go straight back into my old eating habits. I too lack willpower. I think from all my research that the Sleeve will be the way to go for me.

Aniseed, how did your consultation go on Thursday? Is it the go ahead for you?
Back to top Go down
Gleni
Gleni

Female
Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2017-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySat 18 Mar 2017, 2:24 am

Hi everyone,
Also new to the site. I also had a BMI of 32 but Surgeon happy to book me in for my Gastric Sleeve surgery(on 18 April).
However, I do take medication to control my blood pressure soI suppose that is a related disease. I had a full blood test prior to my appointment which also picked up a high sodium and cholesterol level so Dr was Ok for surgery. It's amazing what blood tests can pick up so if you don't have any known related diseases there certainly a possibility of a something related in the blood test which will make you a candidate for surgery.
I also had an Orbera balloon put in 4 years ago....thinking all I needed was a 'kick start'. I lost the weight over the six months but gained it all back again. I have realised (sadly) that I do not have the will power and I am totally sick of being overweight and depressed about it. I've researched the Lap band Vs Sleeve and definitely feel the sleeve is best for me.
Looking forward to chatting further and sharing our thoughts😀
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyThu 16 Mar 2017, 11:49 am

I know the feeling of wanting to rush out and have the surgery... But I feel I would be remiss if I didn't at least say...

Really think about getting PHI and waiting the 12 months for it to kick in.  Not only will you save money, but the 12 months will give you time to work on the head stuff. 
The surgery will stop you eating too much in the first year or so, after that the rest is up to you.  The getting the head right will really help in the long run.

After reading on here and talking to a few people who had complications, I always get worried when people self fund.  I have said it before and will say it again... Better to be safe than sorry!

Arse
Back to top Go down
Aniseed
Aniseed

Female

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySat 04 Mar 2017, 11:53 pm

Itsallhappening wrote:
Yeh i asked about that and he assured me if that happened they would transfer me to a public hospital.  I hope he is right as I am using most of my savings to do this

Hey itsallhappening,
Congrats on getting a date so soon.

Would you mind sharing if you have any further complications? My BMI is 33 and I'm afraid of being told no.
I see my surgeon on Thursday. Any tips?
Back to top Go down
Itsallhappening

Female

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySat 04 Mar 2017, 11:38 am

Yeh i asked about that and he assured me if that happened they would transfer me to a public hospital. I hope he is right as I am using most of my savings to do this
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySat 04 Mar 2017, 11:29 am

Keep in mind he's probably only referring to his fee, if something goes wrong.  If you need to stay longer in hospital - the hospital will charge you their daily fees, critical care fees....whatever.
Back to top Go down
Itsallhappening

Female

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptySat 04 Mar 2017, 11:19 am

Thanks for your reply. The surgeon is happy to sleeve me after consultation. I decided to fund it myself. Didn't want to wait the 12 months. Probably a bag mistake lol but he assures me if anything goes wrong there will be no further charges. Surgery date 2/5
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyTue 28 Feb 2017, 9:18 pm

Do you have pre-existing problems from being overweight?  There are guidelines for surgeons to operate under, and I think at that BMI you may not tick all the boxes for them without serious complications from obesity.  It's major surgery - the pro's of doing it need to outweigh the cons.  Hold tight, talk to the surgeon, and see what his assessment is.
Back to top Go down
Itsallhappening

Female

PostSubject: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve EmptyMon 27 Feb 2017, 2:36 am

Hi All, New to this forum and weight loss surgery options. I am 162cm and currently 82.3kgs. I am 53 years old and totally sick of trying to lose weight. I have tried every thing on the market. My BMI is 32, I don't have private health Insurance at the moment. My main question is will the Health Insurance pay for it if I have a low BMI? I am considering going through BUPA. I have friends who have had this surgery and are using BUPA but all of their BMI's were closer to the 40BMI. I do know there will be a waiting period of 12 months. 

I have an appointment on Wednesday with Dr Reza Adib to consult about my options. So my other question is has anybody had this surgery done with this Surgeon? and is he good?

I have considered the Balloon but don't trust myself when it is removed not going back to old eating habits. 

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decision about which way to pay for sleeve   Decision about which way to pay for sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Decision about which way to pay for sleeve
Page 1 of 1