6 posters
AuthorMessage
charma
charma

Female
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-11-11

Feeling a little lost.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... EmptyThu 30 Jul 2009, 3:28 am

Thanks you ALL for your kind words... you have certainly eased my mind...

Yep off to have the endoscopy tomorrow.. Not so worried about that, Im more worried that if they find something that may "stop" me from being able to have the sleeve done. My doc suggested that the type of anemia i have, gives me a higher chance of getting stomach cancer, which is why he has a small reluctance of doing the surgery, but is also the reason he wants this endoscopy done, so that he can see what he is "dealing with"... Its good to hear that there are so many other banders turned sleevers...

Thanks again for your support, i was really feeling down and out and no one seems to care except me (my parents are totally against the sleeve as they dont understand it - they think its stomach stapling).. my fiance has been great, he just wants me to be happy and supports me with everything.

xoxo
Back to top Go down
bugsbonclyde
bugsbonclyde

Female
Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 2:47 pm

Hello color=green]Hi Charma,

I have Pernicious anemia which means my body no longer makes b12. I was diagnosed with it 2 years ago, but i think i had it a bit longer than that. One of the side affects of it that i have to live with is a fast heart rate and i am on medication for that. I have b12 injections every three months and that helps. It didn't stop me from having the sleeve done and i was sleeved 2 months ago. So don't stress too much about it, the endoscopy is easy, you will fly through it. I also had a bug in my stomach that causes ulcers, hali p - can't think of the full name. I had to have treatment for that before my surgery also.

What Janey says is correct with having to wait between band removal and sleeve and it seems more and more banded people are having the sleeve done. My surgeon doesn't like the band much at all, he offered it to me but i didn't like the band either lol so i was happy he had something else on offer lol

i know what you mean about wanting to loose weight etc when i got diagnosed with PA i had all the side affects except for the weight loss, that was the kicker for me, i figured, if even this disease can't make my stupid body loose weight, then what hope have i ever got of doing it on my own? Make sure your doctor does check you for PA, it normally only presents in people over 50 and also make sure they check your foliate levels as well.

Good luck with it all and don't stress, the surgeon has to tell you all the bad things that could happen, doesn't mean it will though!!!

take care, keep us posted

hugs

del.

/color] Cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkm.id.au
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 12:09 pm

Hi Charma and welcome back. Vent away Gorgeous we're all here for you whenever you need us.

I too had the band removed in January and was sleeved in May. Just as long as you leave at least 3 months for the stomach to settle back into shape, apparently it is sort of concertinaed with the band, your chances of any problems are much less. Most surgeons refuse to remove the band and sleeve all in the one go. I've sailed through it all without any problems even though it was a hard wait between surgeries.

Hope this helps ease your worries and good luck with your endoscopy.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
mumto3kiddies

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 10:02 am

Hi Charma,

I don't have much advice to give I'm afraid but I had my band out 12 days ago and going to be sleeved in 8weeks time.

I would be lying to say I'm not scared or anything like that - but know coming on here and having the reasurance from the other girls & guys I know they are so supportive and have such brilliant advice which puts my mind at ease.

Super big hugs to you and hope all goes well with Friday..

Nicole xx
Back to top Go down
Bella ..... xo
Sponsor

Female
Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 9:36 am

Hi Charma,

Welcome back gal & so sorry you are feeling a bit lost & down.

~sending you a huge warm fuzzy hug~

Perhaps look at - is the reason for the higher risk of the op going wrong ....a greater concern than the health risks of being overweight & the co-morbidities associated with that (plus being unhappy).....which get worse with time & as you get older ?

It might help you to read through the 'band to sleeve' thread...if you haven't already done so.

How does the B-12 deficiency impact on being sleeved or on having an operation ?

Glad you feel comfortable enough to share your venting with us..... we have done it at some point & we are here for each other as best we can be...... so vent away gal !

Best wishes for great results with your endoscopy. Keep your spirits up & think lots of positive thoughts !

Another hug for ya'
Back to top Go down
Jillybean
Part of the furniture
Jillybean

Female
Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 8:42 am

Hi Charma
I was a bit like you - had a band, had it out under emergency conditions as it had slipped around half my organs, was in theatre for 5 hours getting it out and in intensive care for days. My sleeve Doctor was a different Surgeon to the band and he also explained to me that I was a higher risk as I had had extensive stomach surgery(open surgery) and adhesions but he was confident that there wouldn't be a problem. In fact I was the only patient he booked in that morning of the op in case it took longer than usual. It took 3hours 15 mins which is a little longer than the average sleeve but it was mainly because he had to deal with all the scar tissue (adhesions). I know how you feel as I had the same feelings, was so undecided and worried about being a higher risk but I thought I was an even higher risk as the weight kept piling on.
The surgery went really well and my recovery was great and I have lost 30kg so far, so I am so glad I have had it done.

I think if you have a good surgeon and you have confidence in him just go for it. I didn't have the added complication of a B12 deficiency though and not sure how that would affect you.

Good luck for your endoscopy on Friday and hope all the results are good.
Don't be sorry - we all need to vent and that's what we're all here for.
hugs
Jilly
Back to top Go down
charma
charma

Female
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... EmptyWed 29 Jul 2009, 7:31 am

Hi all...

Its been a few months since i have posted on here.. To refresh your memories... I had a lapband done, and had it out after two years - last October/November... Anyways my doctor said to come back in January to discuss other options (being the sleeve)... Anyway i never actually got back to him until 3 weeks ago.

Im feeling a little lost as he said he is happy to do the sleeve operation but I have a higher risk of it going wrong. (He said he hasnt had any band to sleeve ops go wrong yet though).

Also i have a B12 deficiency which is apparently a form on anemia (which i have seen a few others mention on here). As a result Im having an endoscopy this friday to check out my stomach and check there are no ulsers etc that could be causing me any troubles...

I guess im feeling a little down as I just dont know what to do. I had basically decided yep that the sleeve is for me, but with the higher risk and the possibility i may not even be allowed to have it done Im feeling really crap. I hate that Im fat and cant fit into clothes and i dont know what i would do if i cant have the op... Arghhh.. Then i think that if i had the op i would be the one with bad luck and have the complecations... sorry just needed a bit of a vent.. thanks for listening....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeling a little lost....   Feeling a little lost.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeling a little lost....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: