4 posters
AuthorMessage
mazela
mazela

Female
Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-09-20

Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve   Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve EmptyTue 27 Oct 2015, 9:37 am

i have been seeing a dietician now a couple of times and we have talked about vitamins and the fact that if you have had a sleeve or bypass you will need to be on vitamins for the rest of your life - its something that i have accepted ,, band buddies or bn nutrichews are what is recommended , why because they fullfill the needs after such surgeries .. posting what i read in response to another post on here...

5. Not Taking Vitamins or Supplements
Let’s cut to the chase. It’s ridiculous to think that you could have most of your stomach removed or cut in half with intestines bypassed, or a silicon band choking down the organ to the point where forced malnutrition causes a 100 pound weight drop in a few months and NOT need to take vitamins. Professionals TELL US we must take bariatric supplements yet most don’t. It is shocking how many don’t bother and wonder why they are sick! They insist they chew ice because they LIKE it, when unbeknownst to them they have a ferritin stored iron level of *3*. Serious iron deficiencies can damage your heart.
How long can someone last when food intake is restricted and they cannot absorb nutrients? Take vitamins. Take vitamins. Take vitamins. If you have bariatric surgery at age 35, what happens to you after 25 years of deficiencies? It does not end well. The numbers of post ops who break a wrist or ankle in minor trip and fall accidents would shock you. Longterm post ops are horrified that their teeth have loosened because of osteoporotic jawbones. Many need much more involved dental procedures including bone grafts when the underlying structures won’t support a root canal or implant.
There are serious conditions and symptoms that can hurt you when you are deficient in vitamins, protein and or minerals. There are neurological conditions caused by not taking essential supplements that are irreversible and can even lead to death. Yep, death.
The image below is from the surgery report when I fractured my ankle in a motorcycle accident 8 years post op. “The bone was extremely osteoporotic”. That straightens you right up. These stories are common. Wake up and pop a couple of capsules!

top 10 bariatric  mistakes on another post on this site...
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve   Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve EmptyWed 14 Oct 2015, 9:59 am

Hiya B,

Would love to fill in your survey but the link says it's closed.

Tara

(A swallower of many, many and varied vitamins and suplements.)
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve   Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve EmptyTue 06 Oct 2015, 1:30 pm

Hi Brittaney,

As I am over your survey age limit I thought I would add my experience here. I am over 2 yrs post VSG and so far all my blood results have been perfect. I don't take regular vitamins, every now and then I might think to take a Vitamin D but that's about it. To begin with I took a regular multivitamin but gradually I have got slacker and since my results have been consistently good I haven't bothered for the last year.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
B.Ede

Female
Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-09-22

PostSubject: Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve   Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve EmptyTue 06 Oct 2015, 8:36 am

Hi all,
My name is Brittaney Ede and I am a third year nutrition student at CQUniversity Rockhampton, Queensland. I am conducting a study to determine whether nutrient deficiencies exist in Sleeve Gastrectomy patients after 2 years of having the sleeve.

As someone who has personally undergone a Sleeve Gastrectomy, I have always been curious to note whether my issues (namely iron, calcium and vitamina D deficiencies) are reciprocated in the greater SG population, and whether practice should be changed to offer more support to those who are struggling with their health.

As I am only one person, I need your help to gather data for my research. I have created a survey containing 22 multiple choice questions about you and your surgery, it will take no longer than 10 minutes to complete.

I am looking for women between the ages of 21-45 who had their surgery 2-7 years ago. If this is you CLICK on this link to complete my survey --> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GastricSleeveCQU

Thank you,
Brittaney

Thank you,
Brittaney

Last edited by B.Ede on Wed 07 Oct 2015, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve   Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve Empty

Back to top Go down

Deficiencies 2 years after getting the sleeve
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: